about Theater

justinrh

justinrh

I don't understand some things about the Theater app.

1. Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit app?
  2. The description says "The latest and greatest Emby app for your TV. Runs on Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge."  This doesn't make sense to me - is it for my (smart?) TV or for these other things?  How can an app run in a browser (why would you want to when there is a web app already)?  How can it be for a TV when it is a Windows app?
  3. Why isn't it listed on the downloads page?  Seems like a missed opportunity, at least.
  4. I installed it on my Windows server to give it a test, and it has an infinite vertical scroll, even though only the first screen full is populated with anything.  What is the purpose of this?

Note there is a missing image on https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Also, I was playing the first free minute of a video and didn't see any controls to stop it, so I hit Alt+F4.  Oddly, it went back to the video page - great, but when I hit the <- button to go back to the library it wouldn't do anything, I was stuck.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, justinrh said:

The description says "The latest and greatest Emby app for your TV. Runs on Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge."  This doesn't make sense to me - is it for my (smart?) TV or for these other things?  How can an app run in a browser (why would you want to when there is a web app already)?  How can it be for a TV when it is a Windows app?

Technically there are 3 versions of Theater.  Desktop , App Store, and online.  Smart TV should have there own app but is brand specific.

9 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Also, I was playing the first free minute of a video and didn't see any controls to stop it, so I hit Alt+F4.  Oddly, it went back to the video page - great, but when I hit the <- button to go back to the library it wouldn't do anything, I was stuck.

I guess that depends on the display mode you are in.

justinrh

So, do smart TVs have the "Theater" app or a different TV app?

What??  How can the display mode make the app stuck?  Wouldn't that be a bug?

I still don't comprehend "online" - does that mean in the web browser?  How do you get Theater in a web browser?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I still don't comprehend "online" - does that mean in the web browser?  How do you get Theater in a web browser?

tv.emby.media but it looks like they may have merged in the unification of apps as it appears the same as app.emby.media except display mode default differences.

4 minutes ago, justinrh said:

What??  How can the display mode make the app stuck?  Wouldn't that be a bug?

Can you provide an example, but virtual scrolling will populate as you scroll.  You can not just populate everything as people with large libraries with take forever to load every item.

12 minutes ago, justinrh said:

So, do smart TVs have the "Theater" app or a different TV app?

Select models have there own app.  Theater is not a Smart TV app.  What model of TV are you referring to?

Happy2Play

You can see keyboard/remote options clicking your user icon.

tv.emby.media but it looks like they may have merged in the unification of apps as it appears the same as app.emby.media except display mode default differences.

Correct, nowadays the web version of Theater is also built into your own installed web app, just enable TV display mode.

1. Why isn't it listed on the downloads page?  Seems like a missed opportunity, at least.

It's not really a separate app from the others. The downloads page lists the apps that we have based on platform.

sooty234

My understanding of what 'Theater' is, is that it is the signature front end (UI) of Emby apps. And then each incarnate app will have a different back end (player). So the TV app will use the native TV media player. The Windows store uses the Windows player (at lest, for now). X Box also uses the Windows player (for now). The desktop app uses mpv. The other apps are more based on the platform on which they are built. Roku, Android etc.

And presently, changes are underway to make more apps unified. So one app will work on multiple device platforms. One app for all Android devices. One app for all Windows devices...and so on...

justinrh
21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Select models have there own app.  Theater is not a Smart TV app.  What model of TV are you referring to?

If Theater is not a smart TV app, then the description shouldn't say "The latest and greatest Emby app for your TV."

I appreciate the info and pieces of information, but I'll tell ya it is not clear from the web page 'what' it is and how to get it.

Luke, did you read the entire OP?

Still need an answer if the Windows app version of Theater is x86 or x64, please.

justinrh
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

We produce both x86 and x64 versions and the installer will choose the appropriate one.

Groovy - thanks.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, justinrh said:

If Theater is not a smart TV app, then the description shouldn't say "The latest and greatest Emby app for your TV."

But you can connect all the devices that can run Theater to your TV, correct?