SD video poor quality

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

I have some SD videos that are very blurry when played through Emby whereas Plex does a decent job playing the same. Are there any settings I am missing which causes this behavior in Emby? So far I tried match video resolution, switch refresh rate, De interlace SD videos and so on with no luck. Any tips?

Hi,

Can you provide the metadata from the bottom of the detail screen for one of these videos?

RokuGuys
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Can you provide the metadata from the bottom of the detail screen for one of these videos?

Video:

Codec: mpeg4

Profile: Advanced Simple Profile

Resolution:624 x 352

Framerate: 23.976025

Bitrate: 1000kbps

Bitdepth: 8 bit

RefFrames: 1

Audio:

Codec: MP3

Layout: stereo

Bitrate: 128 kbps

RokuGuys
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

When you play this video does it direct play or does it transcode.

It transcodes as avi is not supported. Plex does DirectPlay. That makes the difference I guess.

RokuGuys

Shield Pro.

I converted it to mp4 which gave me DirectPlay error. So I converted it again to .ts, now it DirectPlays and looks ok.

I have lot of avi files and I don't want to  manually convert every single one of them. Is there a better alternative?

rbjtech

Do you know what the original codec actually is - mpeg4 has many forms  - try using something like mediaInfo to see what level of mpeg4 it is .. (divx, xvid, x263 etc)

Also worth trying to just rename a test .avi file to .mp4 to see if it's just a container mix up.

RanmaCanada
On 29/10/2020 at 12:53, RokuGuys said:

Shield Pro.

I converted it to mp4 which gave me DirectPlay error. So I converted it again to .ts, now it DirectPlays and looks ok.

I have lot of avi files and I don't want to  manually convert every single one of them. Is there a better alternative?

If you don't want to transcode them, then install kodi and use it as an external player.  Everything will then direct play.

1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

If you don't want to transcode them, then install kodi and use it as an external player.  Everything will then direct play.

Enhancements are coming to our app that will allow it to direct play more. You can preview it by seeing the link i gave above.

• Thanks 1