Random stop and return to Roku Home Screen

sdasmith

sdasmith

This now happens several times a during movie. I can get back in and it resumes.  I've noticed this since upgrading to 4.5.2.  I'm running Emby on a Synology 918+ NAS.

Is it just that single item causes the problem or is this playing any movie on Roku? The Roku has problems with files that are using non-standard headers.

Have you tried to use MKVToolNix GUI ( https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html ) ?

You can drag and drop the file onto the top pane. Then choose "Start Remux" and in seconds a new MKV will pop out with a fully corrected header that should play properly on your Roku.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly where do you end up when this happens?  Which "home" screen?  Emby or the device?

I have not had this happen recently but when it did I would be kicked out to the Roku home screen. I do not exactly know what caused the problem but I reencoded the file(s) that were causing the problem and the problem went away. I had intended a full report but my health was giving problems at the time and the reencode fixed the problem and I forgot to retain any of the original files. Sorry about that.

I can report the the original files were avi and therefore they were transcoding. I doubt that any of my remaining files will reproduce the problem because shortly after I got back to decent health I completely went through my library and got everything in a form that direct plays. I have not seen a crash on any playback since I reencoded all the problem files. It was somehow related to glitches in the playback but I can no longer reproduce the problem.

BTW: The files that were crashing on my Roku played OK on my Fire 4K stick and on my Shield TV. While they did play OK there wee obvious glitches where that picture became blocky or even blacked out. Since I no longer have the problem I cannot help further but I thought an additional report might lend credence to the report by @sdasmith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdasmith said:

Yes. I end up back at the Emby screen.

The Emby home page and not the device home page?  Do you see any message?

Exactly where did you play from?

Okay.  In that case, it is almost certainly the Roku player crashing.  Are you positive the above ffmpeg log is from the playback that caused the problem?

richwphillips@yahoo.com

I am having this problem as well on the Roku app, but only on the Emby server on my Western Digital MyCloud EX2 Ultra. The same exact file on my computer version of Emby plays fine. I had a lot of issues getting the NAS version to install and then to scan my libraries, but I finally got it all done and now when I click to play a video, it takes me all the way back out to the main Roku page. If I switch the server on the Roku app to point to my computer version of Emby rather than the NAS version, the same file that bounced me all the way out immediately on the NSA version plays as expected from the computer version.

1 hour ago, richwphillips@yahoo.com said:

I am having this problem as well on the Roku app, but only on the Emby server on my Western Digital MyCloud EX2 Ultra. The same exact file on my computer version of Emby plays fine. I had a lot of issues getting the NAS version to install and then to scan my libraries, but I finally got it all done and now when I click to play a video, it takes me all the way back out to the main Roku page. If I switch the server on the Roku app to point to my computer version of Emby rather than the NAS version, the same file that bounced me all the way out immediately on the NSA version plays as expected from the computer version.

Hi.  Are any ffmpeg logs generated at the time of that playback?

richwphillips@yahoo.com

I'm not a logging expert so I'm not sure. I don't know if I've ever tried to find any log information with Emby before. If i can figure it out and the error is still happening the next time I try it, I'll see if I can get log info to post. Thanks for the response, ebr.

23 hours ago, richwphillips@yahoo.com said:

I'm not a logging expert so I'm not sure. I don't know if I've ever tried to find any log information with Emby before. If i can figure it out and the error is still happening the next time I try it, I'll see if I can get log info to post. Thanks for the response, ebr.

That would be great, thanks !

nickpeck

Just came to chime in, brand new user / lifetime member as of yesterday.  I went to play the movie Clue for my wife and I tonight and I was running into this exact same issue.  The movie would just stop and go back to the movie select screen on my Roku Ultra only, would play fine on my andriod phone and the PC app.  I have the latest version of everything Emby related and I run a server with the unRAID O/S using the linuxserver docker container.

I rip my movies using MakeMKV and don't remux them, just drag n drop into my Media share (was using Plex up until the other day).  Several movies I watched just before Clue played fine so I wasn't sure what the issue was initially.  While researching the issue I saw this post and was "happy" that it wasn't just me lol.  Having said that, I did what Gilgamesh_48 mentioned and boom, Clue is playing just fine.  Thankfully I know what to do when I run into this issue down the road, so thanks for that suggestion.

It's very nice to see a lively community here, not to mention Roku guys helping out, it's fantastic and both of these brands I will continue to use and support.  Again, I just wanted to mention that the MKVtoolNix option worked for the issue.  Luckily I use MKVtoolNix pretty often to cut some tv show files :)

Thanks again and take care,

Nick

On 10/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, richwphillips@yahoo.com said:

@richwphillips@yahoo.com ?

richwphillips@yahoo.com

I haven't run into the error again as yet. I do have a version of Emby on my laptop as well and don't have any issues with any of my files on that server. I have only played a few files through the WD version and for now, they seem to be playing without any issues.