Identify Dolby Vision

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

Is there any way to check if my video is played using Dolby Vision through Emby?

My Sony TV detects Dolby Vision and shows the logo on top right of the screen, but there is no way to check it through Emby UI. The stats for nerds simply shows codec HEVC.

Is it possible to see this info in Emby? Or maybe add this option as part of the stats feature to display metadata like Dolby Vision, HDR etc. based on the incoming stream?

Edited by RokuGuys
  • Like 1

CBers

You could try side-loading the Android Mobile app, as that has a version of Exoplayer in that supports DV. 

RokuGuys
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

You could try side-loading the Android Mobile app, as that has a version of Exoplayer in that supports DV. 

I believe Emby is playing DV but only that I cant verify it through the app. The TV shows the DV logo for the first few seconds when the playback starts. So I know it's detecting DV.

When I play the same clip in Roku Emby, I don't get the TV logo since Roku don't support DV. So I know  it's supported through Shield but no way to validate it through Emby UI.

FrostByte

Strange.  What format are your DV files?  Support for DV mkv files was added with Exoplayer 2.12.0 which isn't in the regular ATV app yet.  ET for Android is the only one with the updated Exoplayer that can play DV mkv as of now.

I believe the feature request to add the dynamic HDR formats to Emby will have to be done before SFN can be updated.  I'm sure that type of data all comes from the same place.

• Like 1

RokuGuys
17 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I believe the feature request to add the dynamic HDR formats to Emby will have to be done before SFN can be updated.  I'm sure that type of data all comes from the same place.

So will that have to a be new feature that we can expect in the future?

18 hours ago, RokuGuys said:

The TV shows the DV logo for the first few seconds when the playback starts

Hi.  Doesn't that validate that it is working right there?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 12:08 AM, Luke said:

Hi, the log you provided was only a small snippet. I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to see there. Do you still get these duplicate downloads on version 4.4.3?

If it no longer happens then I would consider it resolved and just manually delete the existing ones. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Not all TVs show that. It would be better to show it in Emby client also.

Additionally, would it be possible to get info on these "special formats" to the UI where info about a movie or an episode is shown? For example, show if an audio track is Dolby Atmos in addition that it is for example, TrueHD. Also show if the video is Dolby Vision in addition to HDR.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptre said:

Additionally, would it be possible to get info on these "special formats" to the UI where info about a movie or an episode is shown? For example, show if an audio track is Dolby Atmos in addition that it is for example, TrueHD. Also show if the video is Dolby Vision in addition to HDR.

Yes we'd like to do that but first the tools the server uses have to support it and then the server has to support it and then we'll get it in the apps.

Thanks.

• Like 1

RokuGuys
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

It's not about validation, but the ability to see the format through Emby client. Adding it to SFN would be really an awesome feature.

Another scenario is when my receiver shows Atmos when Emby shows TrueHD. So adding atmos to the SFN will be cool as well.

• Like 3