Transcoding Playback Stutter

xlerate

Hoping there is a simple solution

I am having an issue (similar to this one Playback is stuttering/buffering (only in Emby apps) that using the emby app on my Google Pixel and the Roku Emby app on my Hi-Sense 7 series 4K TV, certain H.264 video playback stutters unbearably and audio sync is several seconds behind. If I switch to VLC, there are zero issues when browsing to the Emby instance on my network. 

This suggests to me the issue is the Emby media app as changing from Auto to 720p 1.5mb give smoother playback with noticeable quality loss however. This does not seem to be a local device issue on my phone or the TV as they 'digest' the same video file using VLC, and also no network latency issues as they launch immediately and I can skip forward and back and playback resumes instantly.

Is this caused by Emby trying to transcode?

And is it possible to have direct playback like VLC using the Emby app on these devices? (screenshot of my transcoding settings below...I have toggled Hardware Acceleration with Yes, No and Advanced all with same result of stuttering on the same set of files. )

I just bought premiere last week when my trial expired and didn't see this happening with the files I tested, it turns out that there are multiple files now that have this issue.

Please let me know if there is any more info I can submit if this is not enough provided.

TS-453Be
16GB Memory

Transcoding.jpg

Edited by xlerate

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, xlerate said:

Is this caused by Emby trying to transcode?  And is it possible to have direct playback like VLC using the Emby app on these devices?

This is device specific on what codecs/media format are supported.  Emby will always attempt to Direct Play if the conditions are correct.  What reason is given for transcoding in Nerd Stats?

Can you post server and ffmpeg logs.

Happy2Play

Yes that would suggest the media is direct playing as is, the transcode log is for Chrome and is transcoding because it does not support HEVC (TranscodeReasons=VideoCodecNotSupported). 

But the log does show some large response times.  But a dev will have to provide more input on that.

Is that the only ffmpeg log?

Happy2Play

Pixel 2 XL this would suggest in app Auto quality setting is not playing nice (lots of topics about Auto).  So a higher quality setting could resolve

VideoBitrate=192000&AudioBitrate=128000

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

And Chrome requires transcoding do to unsupported HEVC codec.

What client where the Nerd Stat images from?

The nerd stats were both from the Pixel 2 XL with two different media files. Less of an issue on Chrome, those would have been done on my laptop which did not have any issue with playback.

When you say "in app Auto quality setting is not playing nice (lots of topics about Auto).  So a higher quality setting could resolve" do you mean manually switching from auto? I have tried 1080 with different settings 4 Mbps—60 Mbps and the results are increased audio delay and stuttering. So I am seeing the issue both on the Pixel and my Hi-Sense TV with the same video files. Again, the issue with the same devices, and same video files does not occur when using VLC pulling the same files across same network from QNAP. Does that point more to the only variable left being the Emby app?

(also wanted to mention, even when I switch from auto, to different combinations of 720/1080 the nerds stats all still show directplay @ 2Mbps when toggled off/on.)

The highest setting I can set using Emby app for uninterrupted playback is 720p 2 Mbps

This screenshot is from VLC stats (same device, same video file..no playback error)

Screenshot_20201026-022617.thumb.jpg.d1026a17a0306668acb39b60488481ba.jpg

Edited by xlerate

Happy2Play

You can not compare to vlc as that player will handle anything you throw at it.  All native device players will be dependent on what they allow.  Most apps/client are built for said native player on the device.

Not sure on the Pixel then it says Direct Play but a transcode log is being made.

But the devs will want to see server/ffmpeg logs with mention of time specific item played.

12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

You can not compare to vlc as that player will handle anything you throw at it.  All native device players will be dependent on what they allow.  Most apps/client are built for said native player on the device.

Not sure on the Pixel then it says Direct Play but a transcode log is being made.

But the devs will want to see server/ffmpeg logs with mention of time specific item played.

Sorry if I missed it, is there a solution here? (this is not just on my Pixel, this is also happening on the TV)

I am comparing with VLC only because that is what I had installed at the moment. I installed MX Player and this too had no issues with the same video stream. Is it safe to say, that the issue is the Emby media playback app? (Same video, same device, same network works without issue on two apps and doesn't on another?)

"You can not compare to vlc as that player will handle anything you throw at it. "

I think that is an incorrect way of measuring Emby's media playback app's inability no? Isn't that like saying you can't compare a product that works to one that is not?  In another way to see this, is that VLC is free and works with 'anything you throw at it' Emby Premiere cost me $119 and the playback app IS the fault point since we see that the same devices playback the video with other players without issue.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, Luke said:

We are looking into it. Thanks for reporting.

Hi, wanted to see if there was any update on this issue?

I am having the same behavior and posted about it here Transcoding Playback Stutter

Same result as @vcollie observed where the issue of stutter (using the same media files) does not stutter at all using VLC or also MX Player. This seems to be using the Emby media playback app. (Same network, same playback hardware, same video file where 2/3 apps have no issue with the media file, but the Emby app chokes on it.)

Thank you.

@Happy2Play please move my posting into the topic I just linked to. Thanks.

On 10/29/2020 at 12:27 AM, Luke said:

What is the in app quality setting set to in the android app?

I have gone through multiple settings:

Auto Direct: stuttering and from 1080p - 60 Mbps (and testing every setting down through 720p - 3 Mbps) = stutter

The stutter stops and smooth playback happens at 720p - 2Mbps.

Testing same video file through VLC, no issue