Locking metadata

levander

levander

Locking genre field (I only tested with genres) in item’s metadata doesn’t actually prevent it’s updating after identify feature is used. Is this by design? I hope not...

Happy2Play

I would think so as Identify is used to replace everything, assumes mis-identified.

levander

Hm, but what when metadata needs partial replacement? The problem is that I find out that some items have wrong tmdb but only after I customized genres and cast (added writer for example) and the easiest way to update tmdb info correctly is to use identify. But then I lose custom genres and cast 😕 Once upon s time I could fix the wrong tmdb id by deleting it and use ‘refresh for missing data’ but that just doesn’t work anymore. 

Yeah, this sounds like it is working as designed.  It would make no sense to keep metadata around for an incorrectly identified item.

levander

Then why do you think it does have sense to put confirmation box to approve replacing existing images when you identify? It seem to me that you rushed a little bit with your opinion by the “sound of it”. I just explained when it does make sense: when you have some customized metadata that I would like to keep just like with existing image.

I suggest adding lock field boxes right below ‘replace existing images’ box for identify AND replace all metadata features. So you can click all/none/customize. 

Or we should just stick to the ‘sounds like’ logic? But then it would not make sense to keep metadata around when using “replace all metadata” right?

Can I ask under what circumstances you are customizing metadata on an item before it is correctly identified?

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, levander said:

The problem is that I find out that some items have wrong tmdb but only after I customized genres and cast (added writer for example) and the easiest way to update tmdb info correctly is to use identify.

The easiest way is just entering the correct id unless there is lots of wrong metadata and then I do not understand customizing it.

levander
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can I ask under what circumstances you are customizing metadata on an item before it is correctly identified?

Yes, I have media organized and grouped in folders so I can use script or 3rd party metadata editor to bulk edit/update metadata. What sometimes happens is that emby pull out wrong metadata from tmdb for some items but I only notice it later after I customized metadata: added genres, writers etc. 

Look, it’s not something I made up, just noticed or something that happened only once, it’s something that annoys me for longer period of time.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

The easiest way is just entering the correct id unless there is lots of wrong metadata and then I do not understand customizing it.

No that’s not the easiest way. The easiest way is to use 3rd party editor which does it automatically and you can choose/lock fields. All I ask is that emby does it too. 

Also consider that in the future tmdb might not be the only metadata provider emby uses to identify and scrape metadata from. 

Happy2Play

I do not see Identify as the proper use in your scenario though.

Happy2Play
11 hours ago, levander said:

Once upon s time I could fix the wrong tmdb id by deleting it and use ‘refresh for missing data’ but that just doesn’t work anymore. 

Can you elaborate more

levander
11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you elaborate more

I remember solving this problem by deleting wrong tmdb id value and then refresh search missing data and it would full tmdb id by probably matching correct imdb id which was there. 

But look at this images. I have empty id fields but in detail screen there are both ids working. Now this is not the issue I’m trying to fix here but I am mentioning ( Luke said he found out why this is happening but obviously it’s not fixed yet)

3E85E3FA-A0BF-4F17-A1AC-32278CBFFCF3.jpeg

020E81A9-6E1F-48F2-B595-1F5230B8DF76.jpeg

Happy2Play

Hmm, have never seen links without externalids metadata. Do the links actually work?

levander
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Hmm, have never seen links without externalids metadata. Do the links actually work?

Yes the links work as I said.
Look, I found the topic and you were taking part as well: 

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Was what fixed exactly?

The Links appearing but edit metadata showing no externalid, shown above and in linked topic.  The new format <uniqueid type="tmdb">196496</uniqueid>.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, levander said:

Yes, in all cases there is always ids on detail screen. Yes, all nfos have the moviedb id inside and yet in 1st case id is missing in edit metadata so it is strange. That is why I asked you take a look at those nfos and compare if something's wrong with those in 1st case...

I would like to add that before this latest stable I used beta .19 and I also noticed the missing tmdb ids in edit metadata but then I used refresh missing metadata and it would show up. Now that is not working anymore.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, Luke said:

Ok, I see the issue, thanks.

Edited by Happy2Play