HDHR Prime issues

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

For some reason, since mabe 3 weeks ago, *all* my live tv channels are pixelted/stuttering/unwatchable.  Nothing has changed from an infra standpoint, and this was happening prior to a fw update on my hdhr.  It's the same behavior in emby, channels, hdhr app on android, hdhr on windows, etc.  I've done the usual reboots, power cycles, etc to no avail.  It's not a bw issue since perftest on each of the clients is well above the advertised bw for the stream (8-20mb), and everything non live-tv plays perfectly fine.  I can reproduce on every single device on my internal network, emby or not.  This literally came out of nowhere, everything was flawless up until a few weeks ago.  We don't watch much live tv here so I'm not really sure when it all started, but I'm a perfectionist and this is driving me nuts.  I switched out the power supply on the hdhr thinking maybe that was the issue, but no change.  I can tune to all the channels and they load quickly (on every app), but immediately pixelate and eventually die.

On a side note, when i try playback correction inside emby the channel dies outright.  sometimes I can select the ability to pause playback from the options menu and then it plays perfectly (though @ 375% CPU which seems very odd) in emby.

notes:  bw to my main switch from all wired clients is ~ 800Mbps, wireless clients is around 300Mbps.  Both wired and wireless clients exhibit the same behavior, whether internal or external.  HDHR stats say symbol quality and signal strength > 85% at all times, but signal quality is 40%, which is definitely the issue, I just can't figure out how to up it, since nothing has changed.  Is it as simple as calling Verizon and resetting the ONT (or doing it manually via the rip-the-plug-out method?)  

anyway, thought i'd throw this out there in case someone, somewhere has experienced this.  literally woke up to this so it's not something introduced by hardware/software (afaict, since nothing has been introduced).    maybe start a troubleshooting dialogue and i'll keep posting as I work through this.

sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by mastrmind11

mastrmind11
40 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Try rescanning your channels

tried a reboot of the ONT, no bueno.  rescanning channels now.  cheers

edit:  no good post channel scan.  same issue(s).

Edited by mastrmind11

Do you have more than one Prime? Reason I ask is if it is happening on both that might rule out hardware failure. 

Have you contacted the CableCo? Maybe it is something on their end?

Have you posted also in the SiliconDust Forums? Opened a ticket with them?

mastrmind11
15 hours ago, Sammy said:

Do you have more than one Prime? Reason I ask is if it is happening on both that might rule out hardware failure. 

Have you contacted the CableCo? Maybe it is something on their end?

Have you posted also in the SiliconDust Forums? Opened a ticket with them?

just 1 prime.  i havent really done anything other than internal trial and error, but i plan to get in touch with both SD and Verizon eventually.  was just curious if others have/had a similar issue.  

36 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

just 1 prime.  i havent really done anything other than internal trial and error, but i plan to get in touch with both SD and Verizon eventually.  was just curious if others have/had a similar issue.  

For me, the answer is, "no." My primes are just plugging along but I do need to power cycle occasionally because the Tuning Resolver / Adaptor needs to be reauthorized about every 6 weeks.

mastrmind11
10 minutes ago, Sammy said:

For me, the answer is, "no." My primes are just plugging along but I do need to power cycle occasionally because the Tuning Resolver / Adaptor needs to be reauthorized about every 6 weeks.

this is so weird.  so i had fios reset the signal and still getting 40% signal quality on every channel.  and I cannot find a Prime anywhere locally to test the hardware.  guess i will be posting on the SD forum....

I'm thinking that maybe they need to come out and check the lines. Also, have you checked your lines between the demarcation point and your Prime?

mastrmind11
6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I'm thinking that maybe they need to come out and check the lines. Also, have you checked your lines between the demarcation point and your Prime?

yeah, nothing has changed in that regard, so maybe something way up the line got messed up?  I emailed SD support with diagnostic info, but this exact setup has been working flawlessly for years.  either its failing hardware or a legit Fios signal issue.  I'll keep the thread updated.

Doesn't sound like an HDHR issue but a verizon fios issue.

Do you have a STB in the house? If so any problems with it?

mastrmind11
13 hours ago, cayars said:

Doesn't sound like an HDHR issue but a verizon fios issue.

Do you have a STB in the house? If so any problems with it?

no stb,  completely off fios hardware other than the cable card.

Can you borrow one from a neighbor?

Other than that for testing you likely need to get Verizon to come out.

mastrmind11
43 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Oh and two Quatros for a total of 14 tuners. 

lol thats a lot of tv watching.

i'll go over to my inlaws this afternoon and steal one of their boxes to test.

51 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Oh and two Quatros for a total of 14 tuners. 

Bragger. :)

MyLiveTV.thumb.png.428605ed34a8888177469903e7e8c428.png

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sammy said:

I have a very busy DVR Schedule and don't want conflicts.. Ever!

Me either.

mastrmind11
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

You can get a STB for a day to see what's up or get a used Prime on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143804696087

BTW, I have two for more tuners and to still have TV if one fails. 

I wonder if I can just grab a stb and plug it in, or if it has to be registered w/ my account and whatnot.  any idea re that and fios?

mastrmind11

So the issue also appears on an STB too.  Need to run diagnostics to get the numbers but everything points to a Fios signal issue.  Was really trying to avoid a service call.  Going to see if I can get them to boost the signal remotely.  

Sounds like good news to me.  That means your HDHR is likely fine.

If you give them a call you can likely have a person out in a day or two if even needed.  Might be something they can do remotely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mastrmind11 said:

So the issue also appears on an STB too.  Need to run diagnostics to get the numbers but everything points to a Fios signal issue.  Was really trying to avoid a service call.  Going to see if I can get them to boost the signal remotely.  

... and get them to credit me back for my days of lost service.

mastrmind11
On 10/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, cayars said:

Sounds like good news to me.  That means your HDHR is likely fine.

If you give them a call you can likely have a person out in a day or two if even needed.  Might be something they can do remotely.

So now the entire signal is dead for anything HD.  SD works fine.  Guessing it has to do with the bitrate differences.  HDHR shows 40-50% signal on SD stuff @ 3mbps, which is ovciously too low for anything HD.  SiliconDust had me run a diagnostic and said the signal is really weak and is likely a failing ONT.  Got in touch with Verizon and they say the line to the ONT is perfectly fine.  I replaced 2 splitters coming into the house and a F connector, still no good.  The home owner before me had directTV so I have no clue which line coming in is Fios, so I just replaced everything I could see.  I'll trace the coax from the wall plate thats heading into the HDHR back through the run, but from what I can see it _has_ to be one of the 3 I replaced.  In any case, looks like I'm going to need a service call anyway.

I also hooked up a cable box and it's the same, and appears to me the signal is fine in diagnostics (like 25db) though there is still no picture, which is a bit baffling to me.

Grateful for any other ideas you guys might have.

edit:  theres another run somewhere.  when i disconnected the 3 lines coming in the HDHR still showed a coax signal......     down the rabbit hole we go.

Edited by mastrmind11