Best way to notify users of content?

Lun
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Hi everyone

I'm looking for the best way to notify my users of content being updated. Currently, I've configured in the notification the "Content Update" and then installed the app "E-mail notifications" that sends it out.

Apart from being a PITA to configure (you have to do it for every single user), it's a bit spammy (one email per file) and it appears to only send out a max of 2 per library update (unsure if this is a bug or the account being blocked to avoid spam like behaviour).

Ideally, it would send a single email per library update with all the info in it. In a perfect world, it would actually populate a sort of internal newsletter, that the user could subscribe to.

Ex: User A, ticks the box for media folder 1 and media folder 3.

Does any of this already exists?

How are you doing it?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Lun said:

Interesting management request system but how does it help with notifying the users?

Right here in the settings:

image.png.443dff3ad85c35f2fa5aa8117e5a3628.png

• Solution
Happy2Play

Maybe the Playback Reporting plugin and enable New Media Report.  Then this report will show New media added since the last time the task was run.  So change task from daily to say weekly so users will get a report of anything added in said timeframe.

Still need the other services to deliver said notifications.

This plugin runs its own database so it only looks at media added after its installation.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the replies but it got me a bit confused.

On 24/10/2020 at 23:48, Sammy said:

Right here in the settings:

image.png.443dff3ad85c35f2fa5aa8117e5a3628.png

That would be reporting of the media added through Ombi, correct? Eg. Someone request a show, it gets approved and then Ombi send out the notification. Is that correct?

On 25/10/2020 at 00:02, Happy2Play said:

Maybe the Playback Reporting plugin and enable New Media Report.  Then this report will show New media added since the last time the task was run.  So change task from daily to say weekly so users will get a report of anything added in said timeframe.

Still need the other services to deliver said notifications.

This plugin runs its own database so it only looks at media added after its installation.

I can see everything that is played in there but I couldn't find the option "New Media Report" (apart from the one in the notification which is already enabled, see post #1). Could you please provide more information on this one?

Thanks!

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Lun said:

I can see everything that is played in there but I couldn't find the option "New Media Report" (apart from the one in the notification which is already enabled, see post #1). Could you please provide more information on this one?

I do not do notification but you should get a report similar to what the log shows when the schedule task runs.

example

2020-10-26 06:00:00.905 Info NewMediaReportNotification - TaskNotifictionReport: Added Item Notification Message : ItemCount : 1
New media added since last check 23 hours 59 minutes ago.

TV shows
 - (Episode) The Undoing - 01x01 - The Undoing

7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I do not do notification but you should get a report similar to what the log shows when the schedule task runs.

example

2020-10-26 06:00:00.905 Info NewMediaReportNotification - TaskNotifictionReport: Added Item Notification Message : ItemCount : 1
New media added since last check 23 hours 59 minutes ago.

TV shows
 - (Episode) The Undoing - 01x01 - The Undoing

Oh.. I think I got what you mean now!

I've enabled the notification:

image.png.8de8dfed5b4dd5311962315737348162.png

Set it for every 15m and I'm testing it with the Admins (me) being notified. The email pluging is also configured.

image.png.67dac63e2b87fba04248011f16a2613f.png

Hopefully this should do the trick.

I'll report back. Thanks!