"Lock this item to prevent future changes" Not working for folders with custom pictures

Power2112

Power2112

Most of the time the "Lock this item to prevent future changes" works. But I've run into a few cases where it won't.

1. Workout Videos:  My wife has some workout videos that I've painstakingly manually grabbed Pictures for and applied, I check "Lock this item to prevent future changes".  This is on parent folders, sub-folders and the videos themselves - I checked it everywhere.  Within a week, they're all overwritten and custom pictures are lost.
  2. Some folders I've created also tend to lose the graphic I manually apply. Two examples:
    1. Marvel (folder): I apply my own Marvel logo.  Within a week or so, it's overwritten
    2. DC (folder): Same as Marvel

Side note: It appears any custom Metadata I've added (ratings, years, etc) are retained. It's only the images that tend to get stomped.

This has actually been going on for months and I'm not sure how to fix it.  Any help is appreciated.

Emby Server Version: 4.5.2.0

Hi, This might be something Luke needs to look at..  Can you give me info to reproduce this?

Couple of screenshots of directory setup and pics of how you have things locked?

I'd appreciate it.

Carlo

Power2112

You bet. See screenshots.

I'll focus on the workout videos.  Note that for every single workout video, I manually grabbed artwork from the internet (since they couldn't be found in any databases) and applied them to each workout video, and parent directories for the video's.  Any artwork you see that looks like a cover isn't the artwork I assigned - all of it was "reverted" to screengrabs or what it did find online (stomping the artwork I grabbed).

I hope this helps - thanks!

KarenVoight.png.59549c21a914a67f57ac9990debab72c.png

KathySmith.png.23a4ea6237a8fe8a32a63a4be60d2765.png

EmbyView_Both.png.dfd722d98e47b0465bcc49d49a095096.png

KarenVoight_EmbyView.thumb.png.d4be28d4eaa3f622e5b3f2d71df22a71.png

Happy2Play

What is the library content type?

The artwork needs to exist within the folders.  We will probably need to see a server log as the UI possibly does not have permission to save to the proper location.

1.jpg.f177158c8a03c13ad8f51b7ee90faa4c.jpg

2.jpg.aa164b294bcc0cc78dac01296f1b54bb.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.a29c627a778252a728ad76b6a0dae397.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.678f671a65b8f62a4436c3a92a88998b.jpg

If images do not exist in FOLDER, Emby will inherit images from a lower level.  Also if Emby can not write to said folders, it writes to /metadata/library and the server later overwrites those images.

Existing topic

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70273-how-to-stop-emby-from-changing-manually-uploaded-images/

Edited by Happy2Play

Power2112

Folder type: Mixed Content

Permissions:  Media folder is Shared to "Everyone" and grants Full Control.  Also, SERVER\Users didn't have Modify or Write - I've just enabled those.  

What security context does Emby use when attempting to write to folders?

I'll do a test tonight to see what results I get.

1. Kathy Smith - I'll simply apply the artwork from a different directory
  2. Karen Voight - I'll copy the artwork to the directory and apply it

I'll post back with the results. Thanks!

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Power2112 said:

The User that in running Emby Server needs to be able to write to the folders or you have to manually put images in the folders.  Added previous discussion to post above.

I guess the user context can be different if you are running Emby as a Service.

Power2112

Thanks.  The user I use to log in and run Emby with is an Administrator in the Administrators group. I just added it separately as well and granted it full permissions (I don't run Emby as a service).

Happy2Play

@Luke have you had a chance to look at this?  Currently custom images (folder level) are not maintained when uploading to central metadata ie /metadata folder.  I believe the image for first item in the folder will get inherited as some point overwriting the custom image as discussed in other topic. 

Or a kb outlining requirements for Nested Folder level images. 

Edited by Happy2Play

• 2 weeks later...
Power2112
On 10/24/2020 at 8:57 PM, Power2112 said:

Folder type: Mixed Content

Permissions:  Media folder is Shared to "Everyone" and grants Full Control.  Also, SERVER\Users didn't have Modify or Write - I've just enabled those.  

I'll do a test tonight to see what results I get.

1. Kathy Smith - I'll simply apply the artwork from a different directory
  2. Karen Voight - I'll copy the artwork to the directory and apply it

I'll post back with the results. Thanks!

I added my user as an Administrator (even though it was already in the Admins group) and granted access to the parent folder and all subfolders (Full access).  After doing that, and my text quoted above, both still reverted

So even though the cover art I wanted for Karen Voight was copied into the media folder then applied as the cover art, it's still reverting to a snapshot from a video inside the folder. 😕

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Power2112

*bump* Still patiently waiting - just wanted to see if there is any update on this one.  Thanks!