PS5 App

Figment123456

turpentine

hello there, in the past i was a plex user, but since i am an emby premiere user, i wish also there is an emby ps5 app.

i remember that with plex even on ps4pro , 4k direct play files was a deep pain of buffering around 100 mb/s

when he was talking high bitrate, i think he wanted to say the same bitrates used on physical blurays

even plex has a lot of buffering issues on playstation 5 now, even at lower bitrates.

• 2 months later...
CyberPoison

My wierd question is how plex gain the access to develop the app for ps4 and ps5? 🤔 It's about money, or privileges, or something? 

Emby needs to have a zoom call witj sony entertainment store to know how and what they need to do to develop ps4 and ps5 apps with native player so we can watch 4K HDR10 without issue (Trans code on it) 

• 4 months later...
turpentine

@Luke have you got an idea about when an emby app will be available for ps5.

For exemple plex exists for a long time now on playstation. is it expensive to get a place in playstation network to put there an emby app ?

The issue isn't just cost its also getting accepted by Sony. They are picking and choosing selectively who they approve for app development. But we can try applying again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
turpentine

according to plex users. playstation 5, as playstation 4, is struggling on 4k hevc display with bitrates higher than 15 mb/s, seems that sony is limiting access to all powers.

only physical bluray 4k discs are going well. plex users for their 4k hevc files are mad. only very low bitrates files can be displayed without issues.

it is always buffering, like ps5 were limited on cpu to display high bitrate cpu. it is very funny, it is less funny for playstation 5 users, to be obliged to display 1080p.

Even a cheap raspberry pi is better to play hevc content at full bitrates 100MB/S (or more) than a playstation 5, despire the playstation 5 is more powerfull, on the paper.

practice is always better than theory.

it is like with samsung tvs with the emby app, in theory the emby devs have the best approach to display subtitles, but in practice, all samsung tvs do not like the emby team approach to display subtitles, in direct stream mode.

the practice always wins over theory :)

Edited by turpentine
added more info
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...