PS5 App

Figment123456

Figment123456

I would love to see an Emby PS5 app. I realize a PS4 app was never made due to the difficulty/cost of devkits for PS4. Hopefully that can change this generation. Plex already said they will be available day one, however I much prefer Emby.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Hi, the issue isn't getting a dev kit, it's that PS4 app development isn't just open to anyone like other app store platforms are.

But we will try.

• Like 1

thiagosestini

Hi, Luke, thanks for the info.

I'm currently considering a console and this bears in the decision. Is the case of the new Xbox Series X any different? Or do we need to wait until release before any plans for an app?

10 minutes ago, thiagosestini said:

Hi, Luke, thanks for the info.

I'm currently considering a console and this bears in the decision. Is the case of the new Xbox Series X any different? Or do we need to wait until release before any plans for an app?

Our existing Xbox app should work for the Xbox Series X.

• 2 weeks later...
Figment123456

I'll cross my fingers PS5 app development opens up more, It seems PS5 has an even bigger Media focused than PS4.

10 minutes ago, Figment123456 said:

It seems PS5 has an even bigger Media focused than PS4.

Where have you seen that?

abescalamis
1 hour ago, Figment123456 said:

I'll cross my fingers PS5 app development opens up more, It seems PS5 has an even bigger Media focused than PS4.

I've had PS4, Xbox, Nvidia Shield TV, and Nintendo Switch, and the Playstation has always been the worse for this type of things, if what you are saying happens it will be awesome.

Figment123456
On 11/3/2020 at 6:40 PM, Luke said:

Where have you seen that?

Well the UI is split into two sections, Games and media apps. On PS4 it was kind of an afterthought as it was located among all your games.

thiagosestini
On 11/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, Figment123456 said:

Well the UI is split into two sections, Games and media apps. On PS4 it was kind of an afterthought as it was located among all your games.

Don't know, man. The apparent lack of Dolby Vision and Atmos hurts its usefulness as a media device, at least for me. The Xbox supports both and also Emby, but seems last gen wouldn't do passthrough and I don't see why that would change for the new one. Seems the Shield will be staying.

Edited by thiagosestini

Mkilbride

I know, potential revenue sources holding you back.

So is it just a software side of things, or what? Because Plex is going to be on it DAY 1. You also never got a PS4 App because of reasons above, but if you want Emby to grow - you want it on PS5, trust me. I use a NVIDIA Shield Pro, and will continue to due to it being enough, but still. PS5 support would be a great backup. The thing is packing serious hardware. Custom RDNA2 chip + Zen2+ and plenty of RAM.

Mkilbride

Oh wow **** it then lol. 4K Blu ray support and no Dolby Vision / Atmos?

Edited by ebr
language policy
  • Haha 1

I would love to have an true app on Playstation 5. You can use youtobe with pip while playing i dont know if other media apps are supported but i would love to have emby in a pip mode on Playstation.

rbjtech

It's probably absent due to competing with the PS5 directional sound technology ? I remember seeing this in the tech briefings - ie Atmos has max 64 'speakers' (lol) but the PS5 has basically unlimited 'directions' once you have trained it to your hearing....

thiagosestini
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

It's probably absent due to competing with the PS5 directional sound technology ? I remember seeing this in the tech briefings - ie Atmos has max 64 'speakers' (lol) but the PS5 has basically unlimited 'directions' once you have trained it to your hearing....

Dolby immediately disputed that claim from Cerny.

It seems more like a combination of factors. By implementing their own audio processing system Sony both avoids paying licenses and creates opportunity for differentiation from Microsoft with exclusive audio tech. Considering most modern TVs already support Atmos/Dolby Vision, there's not much of a penalty here. Except, of course, if you run a home media library like we do.

I've been reading a bit and it seems more and more like Emby works best with a dedicated device like the Nvidia Shield. The PS5 won't do Dolby tech. The Xbox Series X will, but audio passthrough from internal apps is still unclear. It's also one of the devices affected by Panasonic's HDMI 2.1 woes, meaning you might have to avoid connecting it to the AVR lest you lose some HDMI 2.1 functionality. That means relying on e-ARC (assuming your TV and AVR have that). This leads to the final issue of LG and Samsung dropping DTS on their newest TVs, which means the TV can't even passthrough DTS audio. It's a minefield out there.

So the  Shield Pro 2019 seems like the way to get HDR (HDR10, Dolby Vision) and uncompressed high-def audio with TrueHD and Dolby Atmos for your home library. I think it's still Low Latency Dolby Vision, but at least it checks all the boxes. My biggest concern with Dolby Vision is with streaming services and there's always the option of using the TV for those if you really want fully-fledged Dolby Vision.

Edited by thiagosestini
  • Like 1

thiagosestini

Don't know much about the Fire Stick as they aren't sold in my country, but looking at the product page it seems to do everything. I wonder if it can handle high bit rate well, like BD Remuxes.

23 minutes ago, thiagosestini said:

I wonder if it can handle high bit rate

It depends on your definition of high bitrate.  It is spec'd up to about 35Mb.  If you need higher, the Shield would be the box to get.