Awful Audio glitches!

DarrenClimie-Newman

sooty234
20 minutes ago, Darren & Gemma said:

Was there anything in the first log file?

There is an audio buffer underflow

[   0.506][i][cplayer] AO: [wasapi] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-dts
[   0.506][v][cplayer] AO: Description: Windows WASAPI audio output (event mode)
[   0.507][v][af] [convert] (disabled)
[   0.507][v][af] [out] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-dts
[   0.507][v][cplayer] Still buffering (buffer went from 0% -> 37%) [0.376667s].
[   0.507][v][cplayer] Still buffering (buffer went from 37% -> 30%) [0.309333s].
[   0.507][v][cplayer] audio sync: sync_to_video=1, offset=-0.042000
[   0.507][v][cplayer] Still buffering (buffer went from 30% -> 27%) [0.277333s].
[   0.507][v][cplayer] starting audio playback
[   0.519][v][cplayer] Still buffering (buffer went from 27% -> 77%) [0.776667s].
[   0.540][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Resume
[   0.540][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   0.540][v][cplayer] End buffering (waited 0.121626 secs) [1.770000s].
[   0.540][w][ao/wasapi] Audio underflow by 480 samples.
[   0.543][d][mkv] stream 0: resize index to 128
[   5.738][d][mkv] stream 2: resize index to 256
[   7.652][d][mkv] stream 0: resize index to 256

sooty234

Something isn't quite right. It should have downmixed to stereo, but it's decoding to 5.1 which the optical cable doesn't have the bandwidth for.

Put this line in the mpv.conf and leave the audio passthrough in theater unset.

af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:3

Darren & Gemma
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

Put this line in the mpv.conf and leave the audio passthrough in theater unset.

af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:3

Just on the second line below the first line?

sooty234
3 minutes ago, Darren & Gemma said:

You're right it is still passing it through to my Logitech Receiver, because the decode light is on..

That's expected.

So you still had the issue, correct?

Darren & Gemma

Yes.

Sorry, just so i'm following you, with Passthrough all disabled, the Emby Server should downmix it to Stereo, and the decode light should be off? The logitech Receiver should only light up the Decode when passthrough is enabled, meaning the receiver does the work, correct?

And the Audio buffer underflow is because the optical cable doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass 5.1?

sooty234
1 minute ago, Darren & Gemma said:

Sorry, just so i'm following you, with Passthrough all disabled, the Emby Server should downmix it to Stereo, and the decode light should be off?

No. The server is not involved.... Wait! It is direct playing, correct? When you play the video, pull up the stats for nerds (ctrl+j), and post a screenshot.

sooty234

Looking at the mpv log, it's streaming through the server, so Theater (that computer) doesn't have direct access to the media. We should rectify that...

Darren & Gemma

OK the server isn't involved, but the Decode light shouldn't light up with Pass-Through disabled, correct?

Stats below, Direct-Play Yes.......

image.thumb.png.c14ab91aec9f722e0b97d9e66befd866.png

image.png.65e44d95c1ee2025764a960a365cd5fa.png

Edited by Darren & Gemma

sooty234

OK the server isn't involved, but the Decode light shouldn't light up with Pass-Through disabled, correct?

No. The last line I gave you resamples the audio and bitstreams it as AC3. That was intentional. I'm trying to rule out a few things.

3 minutes ago, Darren & Gemma said:

Stats below, Direct-Play Yes.......

image.thumb.png.c14ab91aec9f722e0b97d9e66befd866.png

This is misleading. I wish emby wouldn't do this. Even though the media isn't being changed by the server, it's still streaming through the server, likely because Theater doesn't have direct access to the media.

It should look like this:

904249031_Screenshot2020-10-24124156.jpg.a5e1883f477e94f9a1add7fcc5ab29f3.jpg

You may not have configured the (optional) shared folder path, in the library config.

Anyway, give me a minute. I will give you a standalone mpv to test with....

sooty234

OK, I'm attaching a pre-configured standalone of mpv. Unzip the folder anywhere you want. Double click on the mpv.exe and drag and drop your video on it. It will play, automatically. Let me know the results.

mpv.zip

Darren & Gemma
9 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

You may not have configured the (optional) shared folder path, in the library config

That's correct:

image.png.4d89cf828f787752fa8ec0491e78e99a.png

I'm running Emby on a QNAP NAS, so not sure what path to put in here?

Darren & Gemma

OK will take a look a that link.

Just played the file directly with MPV for 2 mins, not a single problem and the decode light on my receiver stayed off.

sooty234
Just now, Darren & Gemma said:

OK will take a look a that link.

Just played the file directly with MPV for 2 mins, not a single problem and the decode light on my receiver stayed off.

Ok that's good. I hadn't configured the audio passthrough. I wanted a baseline. You can add it, to test. You'll see a folder called portable_config. The mpv.conf is in there.

Add this line for audio passthrough.

audio-spdif=ac3,dts

sooty234

Do you want me to put it in between the logfile and hwdec line, or just at the bottom (line 4?)

Doesn't really matter, but just make it the last line

Darren & Gemma

OK so I just played 2 minutes of the file, with no issues, and passthrough was enabled, as the decode light on my receiver was on.

I created a log file for reference also.....

mpvlog.txt

sooty234

Looks like you copied the movie to the desktop? Try dragging it from your NAS. We need to see it work over your network.

Darren & Gemma

OK. Just removed the passthrough setting first in the conf file and re-run it in MPV from the network location, it re-produced the issue.....! 

This is looking like a network issue then..... Something i've never had before.

mpvlog.txt

sooty234

There aren't any errors in the log. I wonder what happens if we increase the cache size and audio buffer?

Add these lines to the mpv.conf.

cache=yes
cache-secs=30
force-seekable=yes

audio-buffer=1

Lets see if that will compensate.

But I'd suggest looking at your network.

Darren & Gemma

Same with the above additional cache settings.

I set the home network settings to transcode down to 1080-4Mbps and it still did it, it seemed better at 720-3Mbps, but not perfect.

it does seem to point to -possible network, but i'm not convinced. Nothing has changed in years, 5Ghz Wifi connection at 54Mbps, and nothing else current running or stream in my house at present. Also, all other devices I run Emby on in my house, which is 3 Amazon Firesticks are all obviously wifi also, and they have zero problems!

image.thumb.png.6d6d45bbd5cb5fb3c9f809ac0ebf1a0a.png

Plus decode is still illuminated on my Receiver with PassThrough disabled, so that doesnt make sense either.

Edited by Darren & Gemma

sooty234

Your PC is on WiFi? Try running a temp patch cable to it? And you'll need to remove the ac3enc line you put in the mpv.conf.