Emby randomly opening browser tabs

HHTEX

I just noticed today that edge was open with nearly a 100 tabs all for emby open.  I shut them all down and in the last hour 4 tabs have opened.  Any idea what's causing this? 

Hi, I'd check any browser extensions to see if something new got installed.

Is this on your Emby Server check your logs to see if something is wrong and Emby is crashing and restarting.

You can turn off the option "Launch the Emby web app in my web browser when Emby Server starts" in Settings if this is on the server.

Yes this is on my server, which is headless and not used for anything but media and backups. 

I looked for that setting you mention but couldn't find it.  Where exactly is it buried?

image.png

Edited by speechles

5 minutes ago, speechles said:

image.png

That option "Launch the Emby web app in my web browser when Emby Server starts" is not shown.  Is it possible if I have some other box check that the "Launch the Emby web app in my web browser when Emby Server starts" is hidden?

image.png

Shouldn't be hidden. Are you logged in as administrator?

• Like 1

pwhodges

This setting is hidden if running as a service (even if run externally using nssm, as I do):

embyservice.jpg.d7200175d73ff8e496def3fbcd553d3e.jpg

Paul

That's correct, because it's up to you to configure the service to run at startup if that's what you want.

You are correct  I am running it as  a service, so what would cause Emby to randomly open browser tabs?

Edited by HHTEX

It doesn't. The only time it opens a browser tab is on server startup. Do you use DVR? the server might be getting launched due windows task scheduler entries setup by the dvr. The latest version of the server has stopped doing this when running as a service, but it's possible you might have older entries added by the previous version. So you could go look in windows task scheduler to see if there are entries to launch the server and delete them. Outside of that please attach the server log as cayars suggested.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

It doesn't. The only time it opens a browser tab is on server startup. Do you use DVR? the server might be getting launched due windows task scheduler entries setup by the dvr. The latest version of the server has stopped doing this when running as a service, but it's possible you might have older entries added by the previous version. So you could go look in windows task scheduler to see if there are entries to launch the server and delete them. Outside of that please attach the server log as cayars suggested.

There's nothing in my task schedule that deals with Emby.  A few of these log files are huge.  Is that normal?

embyserver-63738962489.txt embyserver-63739008000.txt embyserver-63739094400.txt embyserver-63739180800.txt embyserver.txt embyserver-63738961706.txt

I don't see anything obvious here. As a test, can you try not running as a service? Does it happen then?

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't see anything obvious here. As a test, can you try not running as a service? Does it happen then?

Figured it out.  Not sure why this caused it but the issues is fixed.  It's convoluted but I'll lay it out the best I can.

I disabled the Emby service rebooted but Emby kept starting and tabs were opened in Edge.

I found Emby in the windows startup folder and disabled that as well.  Rebooted and verified Emby wouldn't start. 

I then checked the start emby at startup option and rebooted, that didn't start Emby and I verified that by rebooting and logging in twice. 

I then re-enabled the emby service and rebooted twice Emby did not start even after logging into the box. 

I then disabled the emby service and re-enabled the emby in the windows startup directory and rebooted.  Emby would start and open edge tabs. 

I again disabled Emby in the windows startup folder

So I created a new service for emby following https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159984-running-emby-server-as-a-windows-service and rebooted.

Emby starts on reboot runs as a service and is not opening tabs in Edge.  I suspect something got hosed when the upgrade install choked a few weeks ago, see here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/90845-embyserverexe-missing/&tab=comments#comment-936239  but that's just a suspicion. 

Happy2Play

Have you looked the value for  <AutoRunWebApp> in the system.xml?

<AutoRunWebApp>false</AutoRunWebApp>

But I can not get a tab to launch when that value is true and I run as service.

20 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Have you looked the value for  <AutoRunWebApp> in the system.xml?

<AutoRunWebApp>false</AutoRunWebApp>

But I can not get a tab to launch when that value is true and I run as service.

Appreciate the input but the issue is gone now,

• Like 1