Feature Request - Option to deinterlace on the server

vdatanet

vdatanet

Given the deinterlacing problems of the MPV player, it would be interesting to have an option to force deinterlacing on the server, as in the application for Android TV.

• Like 1

sfatula

This would help immensely for me with Emby livetv on 1080i channels, and, with recordings of such channels. The issue I believe is detecting properly interlaced content. For me, it's any channel with 1080i format. ffprobe does not always properly detect interlacing.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, sfatula said:

This would help immensely for me with Emby livetv on 1080i channels, and, with recordings of such channels. The issue I believe is detecting properly interlaced content. For me, it's any channel with 1080i format. ffprobe does not always properly detect interlacing.

If it isn't detected as interlaced then such an option wouldn't work either...

sfatula
1 hour ago, ebr said:

If it isn't detected as interlaced then such an option wouldn't work either...

Which is what I said, so........ You repeated back what I said because......??

sfatula

This gets super frustrating for me. When I came to Emby a few years ago, I was looking for livetv and dvr, features noted on your frontpage. To me, other media is an addon, not the focus. Perhaps I misread what Emby is.

And despite whining for those years about deinterlacing, and going into details several times, it remains an issue. Thus my input and frustration. We've had these discussions, people piled on that had the same issues. People piled on that did not. In the end, Luke at one point agreed the solution was pretty simple, allow forced transcoding and deinterlacing. Which is what vdatanet mentioned. But his use is different, his is the minor tiny part of Emby I don't care much about, other media. To me, Emby starts as a DVR and livetv. It serves a great function for me, as, it replaces PAID services. Why in the world would I pay $80 or so for streaming legal tv when most of the stuff they have I don't care about. I can pay $0, and, incorporate some very minor costs on top of that like Prime.

So, as I just mentioned, and again this has been covered many times in the past, Emby does not always properly detect interlaced content. I believe I came up with a better way even, but, still not perfect as far as how to detect via software. That's in historical posts which Luke was involved in, So, here, I was re-stating what I had proposed in the past. For live tv and dvr content, pretty much at least in the US, and there may be exceptions, a given channel is either interlaced or it's not. I have 1080i, and, 720p here. All 1080i I want deinterlaced, all 720p I do not, even a dumb computer can handle that. A simple switch at the channel level would solve this for me and any (most) other people with the issue. It does not address other media. Not my interest at all, don't care. It doesn't use fancy detection, good! If I had an interlaced video and I wanted Emby to show it, I'd deinterlace it before adding to Emby. I can't do that with live tv can I?

I can't watch sports via Emby, it's the worst experience ever, worse than the old days of analog tv even in a fringe zone. This is a very basic function of software claiming to support live tv. It's very very very bad. Next time you are in the Dallas area, if ever, I invite you over. You'll be embarrassed.

So, I realize you guys respond to deflect and ignore. Fine. Blame my media client then, lots of people love to do that. Except, other media software seem to have no issue with deinterlacing with my same platform. I certainly didn't have that problem with them. I had other problems mind you, but not that. But apparently vdatanet even noted his requested technique here was added to Shield/Android. If it was added there, apparently you guys thought it was a useful addition. Yet, here, somehow you mock it. I honestly don't get it.

Obviously, the problem could also be tackled on my client and other similar software does. There's been close to zero interest in doing so though, that's the ideal scenario of course. But barring that.....

We have 2 ways of using Emby, native and mpv, and switching takes a restart. Often, one works better for one set of content and not so great for the other. Maybe you could find a way to allow it to be switched at playback time without restart, this may accomplish the same thing, though, everyone but me at my house wouldn't have a clue how to use that. Or, maybe a switch on the ATV that says to always treat mpeg2 as interlaced, and always transcode. It would at least allow us live tv users to use livetv until a proper client coding change can be completed.

What is Emby supposed to be? It can't be primarily everything. From what I have seen, dvr and livetv is the least cared about aspect of Emby, so, perhaps that's on me.

Edited by sfatula

vdatanet

Here, we have two different issues:

1. Interlaced content not detected correctly by the server
  2. Interlaced content correctly detected by the server, but the MPV player is not able to play correctly

The requested switch corrects the second case, but the first case remains unsolved. Yes, it is a partial solution, but it is better than nothing.

Interlaced content not detected by the server is a serious problem and should be addressed, although I have no idea how. MPV player may or may not play that content correctly, but native player never plays it (I'm talking about content not detected correctly)

Edited by vdatanet

9 hours ago, sfatula said:

Which is what I said, so........ You repeated back what I said because......??

Yes, sorry.  Your first statement that "this would help immensely" threw me off.  Reading too fast...

sooty234

You really should just let mpv do its job, and have a deinterlace toggle to enable mpv to detect and deinterlace without server involvement. It can do that, you just have to let it. This is what I do on my HTPCs. 

• Thanks 1