previously downloaded iOS app won't unlock

joshcoen

joshcoen

I have three family members who can access shared apps through Apple. My daughter previously downloaded the Emby app on her iOS devices just to check it out, but didn't purchase the upgrade. Then I downloaded the app and purchased the $4.99 upgrade. This enabled me and my wife to see and play media on our iOS devices successfully, but my daughter is not able to get the account to work right. It won't show that the app has been unlocked. She has deleted it and re-downloaded it several times. Here's basically what she experiences:

1. Play media --> app prompts her to unlock feature

2. She selects Restore Purchase or I Have Purchased This App --> app takes her right back to the Unlock Feature screen

When she looks at the app store purchases, the Emby app that is there (and the one she downloaded) is the one I purchased, so it's being shared with her. Any suggestions? We're all using the latest iOS software.

Edited by joshcoen

joshcoen

Different iTunes accounts, but connected through Family Share. Two of the accounts are able to use Emby as expected. It's just the third that can't.

joshcoen

Yes, my daughter was using the previous version of the app in view only mode (free) for a while. Then we bought the latest version (1.9.9) and two of us downloaded the app for the first time and it works for us. My daughter clicked "I purchased this app" in the one she was using from the Restore Purchase screen. She got the issue described previously. Then she updated the app to 1.9.9 and is having the same issue. She has deleted the app and redownloaded it several times without success. 

Happy2Play
On 10/24/2020 at 1:51 PM, joshcoen said:

Different iTunes accounts, but connected through Family Share.

@Luke @ebr since these are technically different accounts doesn't the purchase only apply to one account not both?

joshcoen

I thought Family Sharing was created specifically to be able to share purchases between up to 6 family members all with different iTunes accounts. I'm pretty sure the Emby app says it participates in Family Sharing. I'm confused.

joshcoen

Just an update... after the recent update to 1.9.9 on one of the devices that had previously worked with Emby, it also no longer is able to play anything. Just "view only" and gives me the same circular routine as my daughter's devices when clicking Restore Purchase or I Have Purchased This App. So, currently the only devices that work as expected are the ones directly connected to my wife's account, which is where we made the Emby purchase. 

On 11/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, joshcoen said:

Just an update... after the recent update to 1.9.9 on one of the devices that had previously worked with Emby, it also no longer is able to play anything. Just "view only" and gives me the same circular routine as my daughter's devices when clicking Restore Purchase or I Have Purchased This App. So, currently the only devices that work as expected are the ones directly connected to my wife's account, which is where we made the Emby purchase. 

Are you still unable to play?

@Luke

Did emby recently add the family sharing in-app feature for iOS? Didn't read it in any of the changelogs.

They’ve also added a new developer option to enable the sharing of in-app purchases and subscriptions across Family Sharing.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/22/apple-adds-developer-option-to-share-in-app-purchases-and-subscriptions-via-family-sharing/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/family-sharing-groups-can-share-app-store-subscriptions-in-ios-14

joshcoen

I am still unable to play on all devices except on those owned by the app purchaser. In the App Store under the purchased Emby app, it does say this app supports Family Sharing. 

15 hours ago, joshcoen said:

I am still unable to play on all devices except on those owned by the app purchaser. In the App Store under the purchased Emby app, it does say this app supports Family Sharing. 

Apparently its upon the developers to enable this feature. Emby devs, are you going to enable it?

@Luke this should be a top priority because the amount of apple uses that are stuck paying for the 4.99 app (like myself) but then not being able to use it.   is the only way around this by buying the emby premium subscription.

joshcoen

@Rp4000 I'm not sure if a premium subscription allows family sharing, but I guess one option is to just have every user purchase the app for $4.99. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon that tells us Family Sharing is/will be available so we don't have to do that, though!

pwhodges

Premium applies to the your server(s), and enables any restricted clients that connect to it, regardless of source (and up to the count limit).

Paul

I downloaded it again and checked my account on my iPad it said I didn't pay for it yet.  after paying and confirming it paid. everything unlocked.   

there are no issues with normal unlock @Luke 

I didn't check family share since I don't use it.