Cannot connect externally to network

Mossway
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Hi all

My first post

I'm really struggling to connect externally to my network. I've tried using the Emby Connect functionality and failed miserably. Whenever i try to login I just get the sign in error image attached. I even click the forgot password button and just get some page does not exist message attached.

I know the password and username is correct as I've logged into this forum. The user is setup in the server to allow remote connections too.

So in my wisdom I assumed that perhaps the router is blocking the access after reading the connectivity help.

I'm not an expert on router port forwarding so hopefully you can help me please. My Synology NAS has a reserved internal IP of 192.168.1.136

I have setup a forward as attached in the image. I think I've done this correctly??

My router is a talk talk sagem router and is fairly decent at offering forwards and things. I did it with Plex and worked fine.

Please can someone help me as I'm really struggling with this and what else to try.

I can take more screenshots of anything you need to see.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20201021_201547_com.mb.android.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_201542_com.mb.android.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_195315_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_195255_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_195236_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_201606_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by CBers
Removed identifiable image

Hello @Mossway, welcome to the forums.

Based on your post you didn't mention a couple of things.

Did you link the Emby Connect account to a user on your system? You have to do this or the Emby Connect username has no idea of the server.

This knowledge base article will cover that: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160340-emby-connect

More important than that however is the setup for remote use.  Have you set your server up for remote use following this guide?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

I would work on this first and test with a web browser and a local account, not Emby Connect, because that strictly optional.
Let us know if you get stuck anywhere setting this part up and we can help you.

Carlo

Thank you Carlos.

Just to confirm that I have no issues whatsoever accessing my media internally of my network. I've never had a problem accessing emby internally just externally.

Just to be doubly sure, I removed Mossway as the emby connect under users in the server. I got a confirmation dialogue I had stopped sharing. Then I readded Mossway as the emby connect user and I got an email which I have clicked and activated. See attached. So I believe that yes I have connected the account and I'm 100% sure of this.

When I try my WAN address in Chrome (on my phone with WiFi switched off), the one displayed on the dashboard http://2.xx....:8096 I get a returned result in Chrome saying ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE

So surely the issues isn't the emby connect it is some sort of firewall on the router, port forwarding issue or even the Synology NAS access rights that emby server is on?

Many thanks again I'll await your response before I take any further actions

Screenshot_20201022_072123_com.android.chrome.jpg

BAlGaInTl
16 hours ago, Mossway said:

I know the password and username is correct as I've logged into this forum. The user is setup in the server to allow remote connections too.

Maybe I'm missing something... but the forum account is not the same as an Emby Connect account is it?

I don't use connect, so I'm not the expert.

@cayars

Just now, BAlGaInTl said:

Maybe I'm missing something... but the forum account is not the same as an Emby Connect account is it?

It is. :)

• Like 1

I can confirm that my Port 80 is Open (at 192.168.1.136), but Port 8096 and 8920 is still showing as closed despite me adding a Port Forward into the router.

I don't feel like I'm getting anywher with this at the moment.

My router is a Sagecom Fast 5364

Ports 2.png

Ports.png

Your ISP may be blocking the 80xx ports.  Can you map the external 80 to internal 8096 and it works?

@Mossway if you download and install TeamViewer from www.teamviewer.com I can remote in and give you a hand with this.

Just send me a PM (private message) with the userid and one-time use password you get on launch of TeamViewer.  I'll connect and open a chat window.

Carlo

Just now, cayars said:

@Mossway if you download and install TeamViewer from www.teamviewer.com I can remote in and give you a hand with this.

Just send me a PM (private message) with the userid and one-time use password you get on launch of TeamViewer.  I'll connect and open a chat window.

Carlo

Thank you I will do it now. You are very helpful thanks

• Like 1

• Solution

Looking forward to giving you a hand.  Hopefully we'll get you all fixed up. :)

Would you beleiv me if I said my ISP has now blocked Teamviewer!! 

Hang on let me tether my phone and try and download Teamview FFS 

I just want to say an enormous thank you to Carlo @cayars who remoted to my machine through Google Chrome Remote and helped me deconflict some IP settings within my router. A true gentlemen, very polite helpful and patient with a NON IT person like me. He reolved the issue within 10 mins and got my phone connecting to my NAS Emby Server from my phone externally to my network which I had been staring at for 3 days!!

I am buying an Emby Subscripton as a way of saying thank you to this community.

All the best

• Like 2

Chyron
1 hour ago, Mossway said:

I just want to say an enormous thank you to Carlo @cayars who remoted to my machine through Google Chrome Remote and helped me deconflict some IP settings within my router.

What exactly was the problem, if I may ask?

Edited by Chyron

• 1 month later...

Hi Carlo @cayars,

I seem to have a similar problem where I can't connect externally to the embly. When I try login with the web browser on my phone with the wifi off I can see the below screen. When I click on the "ShackiMac" server, the connection fails. 

IMG_2844.thumb.PNG.5d6b7bd230c2761883674e3a610c4536.PNGIMG_2843.thumb.PNG.bedb4fa8a535c6d31e67ebfda922ef89.PNG

I have followed all the advice above, so I think it could be a port issue too.  Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to check this. Can you help?

Thanks

Lance 

Hi, if you like setup a new user "Carlo" with access to one library which can be a test library with just an item or two in it. Send me a PM with your server info to connect to and the test account info.
I can then try a test connection and see if I can connect and playback media.

Based on that test I can let you know if I have any connection problems and we can take it from there either via PM, here in the forum or maybe a remote session depending on need and what I find.

We can certainly try to help you, but let's start with the above, unless you have a preferred method of choice for help.  Just let us know.