Android TV app transcoding

elmik

Hi All,

I have Xiaomi Mi TV and when I use EMBY for android TV every video is transcoded. I notice it because its worse quality than I play it on my Beelink Android Box with EMBY for andorid.

I'v checked on Xiaomi tv with EMBY for android app and the same movie isnt transcoded. 

Also I've tried install Android TV app on my Beelink and its the same history. Android app play directly, Android TV app transocde.

How can I force Android TV APP to play directly?

Edited by elmik

Didn't know this feature. This is really strange behaviour. I played movie on ATV app and transcoding reason was: unsupported container type. So i tried again with Android app. I installed it and it play directly. When I'm back to ATV app without uninstalling Android app, played the same movie and it run directly. Im confused what was happend.

I uninstalled android app, even reboot TV and it always play directly.

After reboot emby server, ATV transcode again. 

Edited by elmik

Okay, that is XVID in an AVI container.  The AVI container is not supported in the current version of Exo in this app.  We may be able to support it with the customizations we are making to the player (what you see in the other app  now).

50 minutes ago, elmik said:

Ok, so I need to wait for update of ATV app?

Yes you would need to wait to see if this can be added.  These are really old codecs and formats that are really used anymore and can't be natively streamed.

Instead of waiting you could take files like this and convert them yourself to an h.264 or h.265 mp4 or mkv file as well which will likely work out better for you in the long run.

16 hours ago, elmik said:

Ok, so I need to wait for update of ATV app?

Actually, I doubt xvid in AVI is ever going to play smoothly on an Android device without transcoding.  How long did you run the test where you said it was direct playing.

horstepipe
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Actually, I doubt xvid in AVI is ever going to play smoothly on an Android device without transcoding.  

But these files are mostly SD quality and quite small, so shouldn’t a moderate performing Box be able to handle most of these files?

22 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes you would need to wait to see if this can be added.  These are really old codecs and formats that are really used anymore and can't be natively streamed.

Instead of waiting you could take files like this and convert them yourself to an h.264 or h.265 mp4 or mkv file as well which will likely work out better for you in the long run.

Of course I can convert it but this iisn't solution for me if android stock app can do this.

7 hours ago, ebr said:

Actually, I doubt xvid in AVI is ever going to play smoothly on an Android device without transcoding.  How long did you run the test where you said it was direct playing.

I don't have problem with any files on my android boxes.  I dont have Emby premiere and when I open Android app on tv its locked so i can run only 1 minute. I unlocked Android TV app and play movies by this on TV.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try this?

How does it compare?

I will try. This is not Android TV app?