HDHomerun Tuner support question

jdebuhr

HI,

I am a newbie here, but have been using similar setups in the past and I have recently discovered Emby. I have not installed it yet but had a few questions. 

I currently have 2 solutions I am using at home. I have a SageTV setup with their Media extenders I have been using since 2007. I am using some of the original HDHR OTA tuners. About a year ago I purchased Plex Pass, it gives me more flexibility than SageTV.  I also have an HDHR Cable Tuner through Plex. I have not been using it as much as I would like. I still use SageTV to record shows OTA over Cable. my wife uses Xfinity and does most here recording that way. I would really like to move away from SageTV as it would allow me to have less hardware on my system. 

So now I would like to look at Emby. before I go down the path of installing.. what are some of the features of the Live TV? 

So... can I have have both an OTA HDHR and a Cable HDHR on the same server instance of Emby?

I know  in Plex I can only have OTA or Cable in one instance of Plex

57 minutes ago, jdebuhr said:

HI,

I am a newbie here, but have been using similar setups in the past and I have recently discovered Emby. I have not installed it yet but had a few questions. 

I currently have 2 solutions I am using at home. I have a SageTV setup with their Media extenders I have been using since 2007. I am using some of the original HDHR OTA tuners. About a year ago I purchased Plex Pass, it gives me more flexibility than SageTV.  I also have an HDHR Cable Tuner through Plex. I have not been using it as much as I would like. I still use SageTV to record shows OTA over Cable. my wife uses Xfinity and does most here recording that way. I would really like to move away from SageTV as it would allow me to have less hardware on my system. 

So now I would like to look at Emby. before I go down the path of installing.. what are some of the features of the Live TV? 

So... can I have have both an OTA HDHR and a Cable HDHR on the same server instance of Emby?

I know  in Plex I can only have OTA or Cable in one instance of Plex

Hi, Good questions.  Emby can easily handle your different tuner types and mixes of OTA and Cable tuners on one server.  You can also load up different guides specific to each tuner you might have.

I for example have two different OTA tuners pointed in different directions and pickup two different broadcast markets.  I also have multiple HDHR Primes used for cable. Though Emby I can load all of these different tuners and also add multiple different guides for them.  Now I have one central place with all my channels together.

This is all pretty easy to setup and here are some simple directions: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160415-live-tv-setup

Of course one of the nice features of Emby is that you can use Live TV and DVR from many different apps as well as the web browser so your media is always available.  You will find this overall to be a much easier setup to use and should pretty make life easier for both you and the wife.

Let us know what other questions you might have.

Couple more.. 

Can I import recorded shows from Plex? SageTV? 

Also what does the Live Guide look like (Screen shot) along with DVR settings? 

Can I record shows with DVR while watching live TV? I know that may be limited to the # of tuners 

Can I select multiple Drive locations? 

Is there a search feature for the Guide? (my son wants to know)

I do see it can detect my Prime and Dual tuners.. 

I see that both AppleTV and Roku are supported so I am good there. 

I installed it on a Win 10 machine.. could I run it efficiently on a Raspberry Pi (3 or 4)? 

Mainly will be used for Live TV.. I have 3 (HDHR Dual tuners) so 6 OTA total plus one Prime with 3 QAM tuners.. Using this would retire my SageTV setup.. 

EDIT.. we don't use our devices too often to watch TV/Media.. I have 3 TVs in the house.. at most 2 or watched at one time. I also have a PC in my office I use for Plex Live TV currently

Edited by jdebuhr

clarkss12

The greatest feature that I use, is the >>. "Don't record episodes that are already in my library
Episodes will be compared using season and episode numbers, when available
"

I have recordings form years ago from many different sources and scattered all over my network on different devices.  With this setting, I don't have a bunch of duplicate, triplicate or quadruple episodes of the same show.  I schedule a show and leave it, even after a year or more and the OTA show plays again, it will record any missing episodes...........

Of course, I am a data junkie, I just add more storage as my recordings climb......... 

Edited by clarkss12

I paid for the 1 month premier for testing.. i like it so far.. need to update my OTA channels though.. Which guide is better?  I have been using Schedules direct with SageTV.. 

If you're in the US, CA or UK there is probably no reason for you not to use the Emby Guide Data and it comes with your Premiere Subscription.