TrueNAS and Emby

xtralives

30 minutes ago, Romeo123 said:

First of all, I think i was having the same problem as you have!

The problem is in the ACL settings with the emby user in Truenas

On page 2 @MRobi writes that you need to set the user in ACL to the user 989 and not to the user 'emby'. This fixed it for me.

NB.
989 is the UserID if you use the emby or emby-server community plugin in Truenas. If you use your own jail and install emby by yourself, this userID could differ!

I agree, this is likely the issue.

Aside from using a guide from FreeNAS 9.3 while we're now into Truenas 12.0, your mount point looks OK. Your issue is likely permissions related. 

While you added the user emby to your ACL, it's likely not the same user emby that's inside the jail. It's a common mistake. Change that to user 989, make sure to click "apply recursively" and you should be good to go.

Follow this guide for setting up your ACL

On another note, this NAT plugin is likely going to cause an influx of people with issues. I've seen it come up 2-3x in the past week. Configuring a jail with NAT will give it the same IP address as the host, which requires VNET and the ports to be configured so it knows where to point the traffic. It's a bit more complex of a setup for DHCP, and IMO those who can understand the complexities behind NAT will likely be the same who won't use the plugins to begin with. The average user should most likely use the DHCP plugin.

NinthWave
7 hours ago, MRobi said:

I agree, this is likely the issue.

Aside from using a guide from FreeNAS 9.3 while we're now into Truenas 12.0, your mount point looks OK. Your issue is likely permissions related. 

While you added the user emby to your ACL, it's likely not the same user emby that's inside the jail. It's a common mistake. Change that to user 989, make sure to click "apply recursively" and you should be good to go.

Follow this guide for setting up your ACL

I already tried that but it did not work either
image.thumb.png.e54ab871e77e970d237b1fec3b583d65.png

Neither at /jails/emby or /media have I the option to set ACL as seen on « https://emby.media/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=68328 Z.

So I use "Edit Permission" which seems to offer exactly what's under "Edit ACL"

image.thumb.png.6e12dca474c1dc9cbfa13d41d3f0a78e.png

image.thumb.png.4bbdcd770ed2f3ac75a68bd390a80725.png

image.thumb.png.b6640b116c1d4fb2ca69654f9c1aac48.png

Under /media, there is no deeper level

Under /mnt, I see the 3 sub level that are in my datasets.  But stil, Emby cannot see the files in those.

image.thumb.png.f4cec5d052ea01eb9f01fa1c2ebee551.png

NinthWave

SOLVED for me

The important part is this sentence:

On 10/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, MRobi said:

Typically when you do your mount points, you'll mount a music folder, tv folder, movies folder, etc.. I typically mount movies to /media/movies, music to /media/music, etc... 

Each subdataset MUST be mounted individually.  Like this:

image.thumb.png.6823f310c4431e39f2b5b8feb2e07be6.png

If one stops above the last level, it won't dig deeper.
ie.: /mnt/Bassin/Media/Video

Edited by NinthWave

glen1234

I having the same issue. I see you said to add user 989, but I do not seem to have this user?

Edit:

I found this guide: 

Thank you, so clear and concise!

Edited by glen1234
  • Like 1

hjason7812

Emby doesn't work for truenas, everyone is upgrading to truenas now please make emby work on truenas. 

I can't install emby on truenas i get all kinds of errors, i tried installing the plugin one and i tried installing the beta one on the download page for 12 neither have worked. 

I forgot the install method that someone gave me a long time ago on here how to install emby through shell via cd temp script or something. 

Update: I finally got emby installed on truenas, but now there is a problem with the covers not loading up. all it loads is like a thumbnail of the video and not even a good one its blurry. i have everything set like i did with 11.3 but for some reason covers plugin doesn't work with the new truenas 12.u2.1 or whatever it is.

I installed emby 4.5.4.0 version from the community plugin tried to install the beta kept saying there wasn't anything there and this version is the newest one...

Someone help please thanks

Edited by hjason7812

Baenwort
On 2/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, hjason7812 said:

Emby doesn't work for truenas, everyone is upgrading to truenas now please make emby work on truenas. 

I can't install emby on truenas i get all kinds of errors, i tried installing the plugin one and i tried installing the beta one on the download page for 12 neither have worked. 

I forgot the install method that someone gave me a long time ago on here how to install emby through shell via cd temp script or something. 

Update: I finally got emby installed on truenas, but now there is a problem with the covers not loading up. all it loads is like a thumbnail of the video and not even a good one its blurry. i have everything set like i did with 11.3 but for some reason covers plugin doesn't work with the new truenas 12.u2.1 or whatever it is.

I installed emby 4.5.4.0 version from the community plugin tried to install the beta kept saying there wasn't anything there and this version is the newest one...

Someone help please thanks

You'll need to follow the submitting a problem process and attach logs as your description of the problem is mixed and generic enough that it is hard to figure out just from your words what is wrong.

2 hours ago, hjason7812 said:

@Luke there is a problem with auto box sets not wanting to install on truenas 12

The next beta should answer that question. It is already covered in the testing area of the community, which is what I would suggest following for beta related information.

• 4 weeks later...
xtralives

@Luke Thanks for checking in with me in January. I was actually doing well until this most recent update. I'm not sure if the issue is with truenas 12 or with emby... I hadn't changed any permissions  or acls but the latest update to the server seems to have broken my emby connection. Is this a network related issue or something else?

1 minute ago, xtralives said:

@Luke Thanks for checking in with me in January. I was actually doing well until this most recent update. I'm not sure if the issue is with truenas 12 or with emby... I hadn't changed any permissions  or acls but the latest update to the server seems to have broken my emby connection. Is this a network related issue or something else?

Hi, what exactly does that mean?

• 1 month later...
Andreaux

The latest update also broke Emby for me. Only option was to rollback from a previous snapshot. TrueNas constantly says there is an update to the Emby plugin, however it's unable to execute the update and leaves Emby completely useless (if I SSH in, it doesn't seem that Emby is there at all after the "update"). Has anyone had the same experience with the plugin in there? Not manually installed, but with the plug-in.

Edited by Andreaux

Andreaux

I just gave it a try using the manual update method described in another thread (pkg update, pkg upgrade, pkg install -f emby-server, service emby-server-start) and nothing. The service emby-server start command does nothing, no server is started, no error, like it's not even there. I'm really lost with this.

Edited by Andreaux

Andreaux

If I try to install https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.48/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.48_amd64.txz

It goes wrong too but with an error at least, but looks like it's something completely different this time:

root@emby:~ # pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.48/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.48_amd64.txz
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=DigiCert, Inc./CN=DigiCert High Assurance TLS Hybrid ECC SHA256 2020 CA1
34375798784:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=DigiCert, Inc./CN=DigiCert High Assurance TLS Hybrid ECC SHA256 2020 CA1
34375798784:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:
pkg: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.48/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.48_amd64.txz: Authentication error

Andreaux

Funny, I just noticed that there are 2 plug-ins for Emby in TrueNAS 12. "emby" and "emby-stable". I had the first one installed (which according to iXsystems is broken), I'm giving the second one a try now. Seems to have installed fine so far. I didn't notice there was 2 plug-ins since a while now (don't even know if they're maintained by the same people).

Has anyone any clue about what's the difference between these?

• 6 months later...
Stiversont
On 10/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, MRobi said:

Correct, through the truenas shell or putty

This is my upgrade procedure for a manual install. I re-install all dependencies listed in case there's a new dependency required for the newer version

iocage console EMBY JAIL NAME HERE
service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install -f DEPENDENCIES LISTED ON https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html
pkg add -f LINK TO VERSION OF EMBY TAKEN FROM https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/
service emby-server start
exit

MRobi, I've installed Emby a few times and honestly don't remember if I last manually installed or used the plugin. I believe I manually installed but based on the below snip it looks like my jail is the plugin?  So to upgrade my current Emby Server I installed in Freenas (and now I'm updated to Truenas) I can just hit "Install" below and it will update or can I still use your steps I quoted?  I do have Emby premier with the backup if that helps.    Emby is working perfect but on my new Iphone app i'm getting an error "emby server needs to be updated", I can access it with a local browser though still.  Appreciate your insight, don't want to blowup my setup. image.thumb.png.84cec3d0d024eea782402adbf349bd57.png

dhenzler

I strongly recommend AGAINST the use of TrueNAS Plugin for emby.

1. Create a jail (select name & "release" BSD 12.2)
  2. open shell
  3. pkg install -y emby-server
  4. read notes at bottom of shell screen about sysrc emby_enable=yes & starting emby
  5. go to your browser at the IP you specified when creating the jail or the one assigned by DHCP.
  6. finish installation
  7. done
Edited by dhenzler
corrected punctuation

@StiversontI have always sided with what @dhenzler is saying and always install manually. 

It does look like you have the plugin version installed, and that's fine. You can still update manually with no issues. You can still use the instructions that you quoted above. It shouldn't give you any issues, but grab a copy of your backup file before you start. Worst case scenario if you need to start from scratch it'll only have to re-scan your metadata. 

If this were me doing this today, I would be looking at migrating to TrueNAS Scale. I played with it for a few weeks in a VM and even though it's in beta it was very stable for me. Had I not already moved everything to Proxmox, I would 100% be running Scale as my base system.

There's a community repository called TrueCharts that can be added which has one-click setups for most common docker-based apps. The list is HUGE compared to regular TrueNAS. Plus the ability to setup custom containers. IMO there is much more support on many apps for linux/docker when compared to FreeBSD.

The Emby app in TrueCharts uses the linuxserver.io docker image which is updated at least weekly or whenever new versions come out. I truly believe that TrueNAS Scale will overtake TrueNAS in the near future.

TrueCharts apps

dhenzler
4 hours ago, MRobi said:

If this were me doing this today, I would be looking at migrating to TrueNAS Scale. I played with it for a few weeks in a VM and even though it's in beta it was very stable for me. Had I not already moved everything to Proxmox, I would 100% be running Scale as my base system.

There's a community repository called TrueCharts that can be added which has one-click setups for most common docker-based apps. The list is HUGE compared to regular TrueNAS. Plus the ability to setup custom containers. IMO there is much more support on many apps for linux/docker when compared to FreeBSD.

The Emby app in TrueCharts uses the linuxserver.io docker image which is updated at least weekly or whenever new versions come out. I truly believe that TrueNAS Scale will overtake TrueNAS in the near future.

TrueCharts apps

I'm waiting for the dust to settle before launching on a different platform.  TrueNAS does everything I want thus far.  Have ended my relationship with the Plugins as they killed my Nextcloud twice in one year.  Attempts to update ended with a week of the cloud being down.  Being careful to not over react and do more harm than good.  Luckily both times ended well.  The last time I dumped the Plugin and installed the Jail and used AdminbyAccident  https://github.com/Adminbyaccident/FAMP/blob/master/self-full-nextcloud.sh

This got me thinking and I dumped my Plex cloud and made it a direct install on the jail  Then I thought it might be time to give Emby another try.  I have this running under VMware 15.x on a Linux machine.  Seems to be running just fine after days of asking for assis on Nginx proxy... I just did it myself.  The "Experts" fail to provide sufficient info to cut your wasted time.  Doing it myself, I learned more... whether I'll ever use that again... Duh!

Well MRobi....thanks  I'll be watching for a "SCALE" release that's stable...

Dave

On 12/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, Stiversont said:

MRobi, I've installed Emby a few times and honestly don't remember if I last manually installed or used the plugin. I believe I manually installed but based on the below snip it looks like my jail is the plugin?  So to upgrade my current Emby Server I installed in Freenas (and now I'm updated to Truenas) I can just hit "Install" below and it will update or can I still use your steps I quoted?  I do have Emby premier with the backup if that helps.    Emby is working perfect but on my new Iphone app i'm getting an error "emby server needs to be updated", I can access it with a local browser though still.  Appreciate your insight, don't want to blowup my setup. image.thumb.png.84cec3d0d024eea782402adbf349bd57.png

@Stiversont has this helped? What version do you currently have installed?

2 hours ago, dhenzler said:

I have this running under VMware 15.x on a Linux machine.

OK, I've gotta ask... I get the purpose virtualizing TrueNAS for storage management. It's great at managing and serving up ZFS. But if TrueNAS is virtualized on a linux machine, why not just run docker and have your apps in docker containers instead of messing around with jails inside a virtualized TrueNAS? Nextcloud is the perfect example. It's a nightmare on TrueNAS. Always has been. But Nextcloud on docker is very very well supported and so easy to spin up. 

dhenzler
1 hour ago, MRobi said:

OK, I've gotta ask... I get the purpose virtualizing TrueNAS for storage management. It's great at managing and serving up ZFS. But if TrueNAS is virtualized on a linux machine, why not just run docker and have your apps in docker containers instead of messing around with jails inside a virtualized TrueNAS? Nextcloud is the perfect example. It's a nightmare on TrueNAS. Always has been. But Nextcloud on docker is very very well supported and so easy to spin up. 

The Linux VMware Workstation thing was the first experiment with NAS.  I wanted ZFS and an ARRAY of disks.  I didn't want to run two machines, one for services, and one for management.... so used VMware to permit it to all be done on ONE.  I was more familiar with VMware than Docker.  This started 30 months ago.  See attached pix.

Nextcloud without the TrueNAS plugin is much easier to implement.  I use the attached (modified script).  Works great. 

I'm not a huge fan of Docker. 

NAS.jpg

My_New_self-full-nextcloud.sh