TrueNAS and Emby

xtralives

xtralives

I just upgraded to TrueNAS and I don't see emby on the plugins list. I was wondering if emby is going to be available on TrueNAS or if I was missing something? I love what you guys do! Thanks!Â đŸ„°

My thoughts are that we haven't looked at TrueNAS ourselves yet, but we do have community members who are running Emby on it. Its something we can try to allocate resources towards in the future if there's sufficient community demand for it.

In the meantime though I would think you'd be able to use our FreeBSD or FreeNAS setup process considering that it's all the same underlying OS:

https://emby.media/download

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, avgsmoe said:

For TrueNAS core, there are 2 default options for Emby in Plugins under community. "Emby" (NAT) and "Emby Server" (DHCP).  You can also create a jail and use the FreeBSD instructions at https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html.

Just be sure you are aware that those instructions are for the beta version.

For the latest release go here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/ and replace the pkg add -f release with the latest stable

• Thanks 1

xtralives
On 10/25/2020 at 8:38 AM, MRobi said:

Just be sure you are aware that those instructions are for the beta version.

For the latest release go here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/ and replace the pkg add -f release with the latest stable

so... I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to running commands on freenas... could you help me understand what a full command might be to update emby? (I'm assuming this would be done via the truenas shell command line but correct me if I'm wrong!) 

Thanks!Â đŸ„°

22 hours ago, xtralives said:

so... I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to running commands on freenas... could you help me understand what a full command might be to update emby? (I'm assuming this would be done via the truenas shell command line but correct me if I'm wrong!) 

Thanks!Â đŸ„°

Correct, through the truenas shell or putty

This is my upgrade procedure for a manual install. I re-install all dependencies listed in case there's a new dependency required for the newer version

iocage console EMBY JAIL NAME HERE
service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install -f DEPENDENCIES LISTED ON https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html
pkg add -f LINK TO VERSION OF EMBY TAKEN FROM https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/
service emby-server start
exit

xtralives
On 10/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, MRobi said:

This is my upgrade procedure for a manual install. I re-install all dependencies listed in case there's a new dependency required for the newer version

iocage console EMBY JAIL NAME HERE
service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg add -f LINK TO VERSION OF EMBY TAKEN FROM https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/
service emby-server start
exit

Thanks! I'll try this soon. I've been transitioning to a new job so I haven't had much time to work on this. Your instructions will make upgrading easy though!

• 2 weeks later...
xtralives

Has there been any progress on this? Is there a recommendation to use the community version right now over the official version like has been done in previous versions of freenas or truenas?

16 hours ago, xtralives said:

Has there been any progress on this? Is there a recommendation to use the community version right now over the official version like has been done in previous versions of freenas or truenas?

I've recently done the TrueNAS upgrade.

From what I can see in the plugins section, there is no official iXsystems plugin, but there is a community plugin and it's showing it's on version 4.5.2.0 which is the most recent stable version, so I'd say you should be good installing the community plugin, although I have not tried this myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
hjason7812
On 10/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Luke said:

My thoughts are that we haven't looked at TrueNAS ourselves yet, but we do have community members who are running Emby on it. Its something we can try to allocate resources towards in the future if there's sufficient community demand for it.

In the meantime though I would think you'd be able to use our FreeBSD or FreeNAS setup process considering that it's all the same underlying OS:

https://emby.media/download

Truenas Is ther new Name For freenas Luke

• 1 month later...

No idea how relevant this still is but i used to run Freenas and upgraded to Truenas about a month ago, Emby still works fine.

The plugin isn't in the official plugin list like MRobi said, it's in the community one. Also just so people can see it's updates, the current version is 4.5.4.0_1 on the emby plugin. Personally i didn't know the difference between the two plugins in the community list but since one showed the version and one did not i just chose the Embyplugin that had a version number.

I do agree on what hjason said above me. The plan is for Freenas to merge with Truenas so in the future they only need to maintain 1 platform. So that could help with allocating time & effort to one for plugin development i hope.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, MRobi said:

Why not (this will install emby-server and all dependencies from the official pkg repository) :

pkg install emby-server

And then subsequently if you want to update any dependencies or the emby-server package itself:

pkg upgrade

Or am I missing something? Thanks for some shining some light on this.

Edited by Duffyx

2 hours ago, Duffyx said:

Why not (this will install emby-server and all dependencies from the official pkg repository) :

pkg install emby-server

And then subsequently if you want to update any dependencies or the emby-server package itself:

pkg upgrade

Or am I missing something? Thanks for some shining some light on this.

The official pkg repository isn't always up to date. It can sometimes take days/weeks for the repository to be updated to the latest version. This is the reason I took to specifying which package to install.

1 hour ago, MRobi said:

The official pkg repository isn't always up to date. It can sometimes take days/weeks for the repository to be updated to the latest version. This is the reason I took to specifying which package to install.

Ok, that is one reason if you really want to stay current all the time. But for the majority of the users that are patient to wait a few days, "pkg install emby-server" is enough, no? Because one advantage of the official repository is that it is consistent. The package that will be installed will have the correct dependencies installed and the correct linkage to shared libraries. When installing an external package that might not be the case let alone a possible discrepancy on the kernel version the package was built on.

12 hours ago, Duffyx said:

Ok, that is one reason if you really want to stay current all the time. But for the majority of the users that are patient to wait a few days, "pkg install emby-server" is enough, no? Because one advantage of the official repository is that it is consistent. The package that will be installed will have the correct dependencies installed and the correct linkage to shared libraries. When installing an external package that might not be the case let alone a possible discrepancy on the kernel version the package was built on.

If you're using the pkg version, you should just need a pkg update and pkg upgrade. And if you're patient enough to wait for the pkg to be updated you are more than fine going this route. 

Now as for the majority... I'd say most these days are installing the plugins from FreeNAS/TrueNAS which is a whole different can of worms.

• 1 month later...
NinthWave

I installed the plugin but there is a permission problem and I can't get any file from within the GUI. It mounts but somehow it cant get to the files.

So I decided to do a manual install.

What are the steps ?

• Create a jail
  • Go in jail and create a user ?
  •     Should it be emby with UID = 989 ?
  • The SSH and login with the user?
  • Install package with the user ?

Edited by NinthWave

NinthWave

I followed this: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/9.3/freenas_jails.html#add-storage

Then:

On 10/24/2020 at 10:46 PM, avgsmoe said:

For TrueNAS core, there are 2 default options for Emby in Plugins under community. "Emby" (NAT) and "Emby Server" (DHCP).  You can also create a jail and use the FreeBSD instructions at https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html.

I still can' acces any files.

I was able to create a debian VM, install AssetUpnP and make it work...  How is it I cannot make Emby work...

NinthWave

I think I have found the problem but I don't understand why, with given instructions, I am the only one to experience it.

• The jail was created within the TrueNAS GUI, under root
  • I SSHed in the jail under emby
  • I installed the packages under emby using SU

image.png.4f1f96338311434e6099f97ab4732392.png

Unless I have not found how, one cannot log in TrueNAS GUI other than under root.  So, when I did the Mount Points of Emby, I was root hence it mounted for root as underlined in the picture above.

Then, when I log in the Emby GUI, I do as my user emby.  When I add a folder to the library, it points to : /emby/mnt or but the files are in fact mounted through /root/mnt as set in the jail.

Is that it???  Is that why the library scan shows nothing?

But I still don't get what I did wrong following instructions or how to solve that other than:

• SSH to TrueNAS as user "emby" and do the mount for the jail. 

And as I am brand new in *NIX, that's not easy for me.  But then again, nowhere I have seen that the mount for the jail should be made in SSH with the emby user and not from the TrueNAS GUI.

Edited by NinthWave

Romeo123
21 hours ago, NinthWave said:

I think I have found the problem but I don't understand why, with given instructions, I am the only one to experience it.

• The jail was created within the TrueNAS GUI, under root
  • I SSHed in the jail under emby
  • I installed the packages under emby using SU

image.png.4f1f96338311434e6099f97ab4732392.png

Unless I have not found how, one cannot log in TrueNAS GUI other than under root.  So, when I did the Mount Points of Emby, I was root hence it mounted for root as underlined in the picture above.

Then, when I log in the Emby GUI, I do as my user emby.  When I add a folder to the library, it points to : /emby/mnt or but the files are in fact mounted through /root/mnt as set in the jail.

Is that it???  Is that why the library scan shows nothing?

But I still don't get what I did wrong following instructions or how to solve that other than:

• SSH to TrueNAS as user "emby" and do the mount for the jail. 

And as I am brand new in *NIX, that's not easy for me.  But then again, nowhere I have seen that the mount for the jail should be made in SSH with the emby user and not from the TrueNAS GUI.

First of all, I think i was having the same problem as you have!

The problem is in the ACL settings with the emby user in Truenas

I can say for sure the problem is not in the folder you're showing. In 'mnt/Bassin/iocage/jails/Emby/root/mnt' the root part is just a placeholder for the root-folder of the storage of the Emby jail. (e.g. if you 'cd /' in the shell of the jail). This setting is correct.

Somehow the real problem is -I think- in the ACL-settings and the user we're using in the jail. The Emby jail is running as root and can access the mounted folder. But somehow the user running the emby server can't.

(I tried both: installing the emby-server community plugin and installing it myself in a jail. Both times I can access the emby administrative settings on the web server, so emby works, but it can't access the mount points. However, I can access the /mnt/movies folder using the shell, but then I'm the user root.)

@NinthWave I found the solution here:

On page 2 @MRobi writes that you need to set the user in ACL to the user 989 and not to the user 'emby'. This fixed it for me.

Edited by Romeo123
Solution found