SOLVED: Backup Emby server - Metadata, Images, People

sscheib

sscheib

Hello guys,

I am trying to figure out a way to backup everything from Emby to ensure to have as little work as possible in case of an hardware failure.

By browsing the forums, I could find out, that having your metadata exported to "nfo" files (along the media files) seems to be the preferred way to back up (custom) metadata. To backup the server configuration, one can use the plugin designed for that and to backup people one can use the plugin designed for that.

However, I couldn't something "proper" regarding (custom) images in general. Adding the option to store image paths to the nfo files, will only add (as it says) a new entry to the nfo like for instance: 

<art>
    <poster>/config/metadata/library/2a/2a1cd6a0e757361a7d2c25972a203808/poster.jpg</poster>
  </art>

So, some people say backing up the entire metadata folder would be enough to be able to restore everything from scratch, however I've also seen some people (also devs) said, that this would be in no way "portable", means backup one device and restoring it on another device wouldn't work (that's at least how I understood it).

My question basically is, how would I backup everything from one Emby server to another?

Would it be enough to simply backup the configuration (via the plugin), import the configuration on the other system and copying over the metadata folder?

Thanks!

Edited by sscheib

Hi, There is an option in each library when setup (turn on advanced) called "Save artwork into media folders".
If you enable this then moving forward and changes to album/movie/show covers will get saved with the media itself.

You know about the Config Backup and People Plugin so use those.  If you want to backup things by hand as well take a look at the directories mentioned in the KB article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

• Like 1

sscheib
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, There is an option in each library when setup (turn on advanced) called "Save artwork into media folders".
If you enable this then moving forward and changes to album/movie/show covers will get saved with the media itself.

You know about the Config Backup and People Plugin so use those.  If you want to backup things by hand as well take a look at the directories mentioned in the KB article:

Hey cayars,

thanks for the answer - I didn't know about the knowledge base.

So - if I understood you correctly - I have two options:

- Use the plugins designed for that and also store the metadata besides the media files

- Backup the Emby data folder

Is that correct?

Thanks!

There's lots of good things in the knowledge base as there's a tab up top for it to quickly get there as well.

I'd say YES and doing them both will never hurt.

• Like 1

sscheib
1 minute ago, cayars said:

There's lots of good things in the knowledge base as there's a tab up top for it to quickly get there as well.

Well, I rather schedule a synchronization job once a night (with a shutdown emby-server of course) instead of using multiple plugins I have to keep track of. And frankly, I don't like storing metadata along the media files.

You really helped me out with that, thanks a lot!

• Like 1

sscheib
47 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sorry for the double post, I just realized, that this was a "I'd say yes" rather than a clear "yes".

I am sorry for bothering, I just want to make absolutely sure, that if I backup the "data folder" it will be sufficient in  case of a disaster recovery.

Can you confirm - with absolute certainty - that backing up that folder is sufficient?

Thank you very much and sorry again for bothering!

If you're intent is to have a full backup/restore of Emby you need to back up many things besides your media.

If you want your config so that things can be reloaded backup the programdata folder.

sscheib
1 minute ago, cayars said:

If you're intent is to have a full backup/restore of Emby you need to back up many things besides your media.

If you want your config so that things can be reloaded backup the programdata folder.

Yes, I am aware of that - that's the reason why I asked, what do I actually have to do. You gave me two options, I chose one of them and asked you if that's sufficient .. and that's where we are right.

To be clear:

My media is mirrored between two servers. I want to ensure, that I can switch from one server to the other if I run into an emergency (hardware failure) *without* much hassle (rewriting all custom metadata, re-adding custom images for both people and media).

This leaves me with my initial question:

Can I backup everything in the emby folder (as described in KB article) in order to achieve that or do I have to use another approach?

I do understand, that we are not talking about an enterprise-grade software, however as backup is an offered option I want to make sure I make it right.

Thanks once again!

Happy2Play

From a same system backup/restore standpoint you want the entire programdata folder or entire Emby Server folder (structure different on all platforms).  Now that folder is not 100% portable/movable to another system/OS as there are paths that are only relevant to said system/OS.

Edited by Happy2Play

sscheib
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

From a same system backup/restore standpoint you want the entire programdata folder or entire Emby Server folder (structure different on all platforms).  Now that folder is not 100% portable/movable to another system/OS as there are paths that are only relevant to said system/OS.

I simply want to move to an identical system. So, that works, yes?

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, sscheib said:

I simply want to move to an identical system. So, that works, yes?

Assuming library paths will be the same on any system, the programdata folder (name is different on different platforms) is has everything you need.

• Like 1

sscheib
22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Assuming library paths will be the same on any system, the programdata folder (name is different on different platforms) is has everything you need.

Thank you very much! :)

• 1 year later...
JCoryShe

I have been trying to build Emby so that with the current content ive already added will always be there even if later in life for some reason i didnt have access to internet. I want to have all the data that emby has downloaded for each media file backed up so in the rare case i had to say reinstall the Os it would look just the same after it was done but with no internet connection. I already backup all the media files to my server with all the nfo and artwork emby has created im just making sure what if all the emby program directory i need to keep backed up to accomplish the same goal. Thanks 

3 hours ago, JCoryShe said:

I have been trying to build Emby so that with the current content ive already added will always be there even if later in life for some reason i didnt have access to internet. I want to have all the data that emby has downloaded for each media file backed up so in the rare case i had to say reinstall the Os it would look just the same after it was done but with no internet connection. I already backup all the media files to my server with all the nfo and artwork emby has created im just making sure what if all the emby program directory i need to keep backed up to accomplish the same goal. Thanks 

Hi, have you taken a look at our backup guide?

5 hours ago, JCoryShe said:

Easy answer is all of it. :)