No extrafanart folder when using Emby in Docker

Bambu Utila

Bambu Utila

Hi,

I recently moved my Emby server from Windows 10 to OpenMediaVault in Docker.

When a movie was added to Emby when it was running on Windows 10, 2 folders would be created: extrafanart and extrathumbs

Now on OMV in Docker when a movie is added those folders are no longer created. the extrafanart is still there in the main folder of the movie, but it doesn't seem like Kodi is picking the extrafanart up when not in those folders.

Am i just missing a setting? I've looked everywhere, but can't seem to find the option to create those folders

PenkethBoy

Nope they were removed from emby as kodi does not support them anymore

Dumb idea as was a good way to keep fanart in one place

Emby still reads the files if they are in the extrafanart directory so no need to remove them

just wont get any going forward

Bambu Utila
47 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Nope they were removed from emby as kodi does not support them anymore

Dumb idea as was a good way to keep fanart in one place

Emby still reads the files if they are in the extrafanart directory so no need to remove them

just wont get any going forward

What do you mean by Kodi doesn't support then anymore?

For me the movies that don't contain the extrafanart folder don't rotate their backgrounds

Bambu Utila
7 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

newest version of kodi does not - go check on kodi forum

I'm running Kodi 18.8 and it still works there.

Can you give me a ling that covers this?

I looked on the Kodi forum but didn't see anything about this.

Bambu Utila

This is very strange.

For me it has the opposite behavior.

All movies added with no extrafanart folder do not show the extra back grounds.

All my old movies with the folder do.

I'm running Emby Server 4.5.2 on docker and Kodi 18.8 on Windows 10

pünktchen

The skin you're using in Kodi is probably looking for the "extra" folders. Kodi itself, i mean the database, never had used those extrafanart. It was always done either directly by a Kodi skin or an addon like ArtworkHelper, ArtworkBeef or SkinHelperService. The new way of storing extra art alongside the media is the way to go for Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork With Kodi 19 you don't even have to edit the advancedsettings.xml, it's all in the GUI.

Bambu Utila
1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

The skin you're using in Kodi is probably looking for the "extra" folders. Kodi itself, i mean the database, never had used those extrafanart. It was always done either directly by a Kodi skin or an addon like ArtworkHelper, ArtworkBeef or SkinHelperService. The new way of storing extra art alongside the media is the way to go for Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork With Kodi 19 you don't even have to edit the advancedsettings.xml, it's all in the GUI.

Yes, I'm using Titan Bingie and that skin heavily uses SkinHelper Service.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Bambu Utila

It seems this change has not just affected Kodi, but also Emby.

I can only change the order of the background images in Emby for newly added movies that follow the new folder structure (no extrafanart). For all my movies that still follow the old style i get an error message when i want to change the background image orderCapture.PNG.1f191d7cd82a827f218f5e8aca98ae18.PNG

Is there a solution for this? I don't rteally feel like changing the folder structure for 1000+ movies

4 hours ago, Bambu Utila said:

It seems this change has not just affected Kodi, but also Emby.

I can only change the order of the background images in Emby for newly added movies that follow the new folder structure (no extrafanart). For all my movies that still follow the old style i get an error message when i want to change the background image orderCapture.PNG.1f191d7cd82a827f218f5e8aca98ae18.PNG

Is there a solution for this? I don't rteally feel like changing the folder structure for 1000+ movies

Hi, server log?

Bambu Utila
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, server log?

Hi Luke,

here's the log.

I restarted Emby, then first i went to a movie where it's no issue to change the order of the background images, then i went to a movie where it's not possible anymore and tried to change the order a few times there.

This happens for every movie i tried so far that still has fanart in the extrafanart folder.

That first movie i tried has been added after an update to Emby where it no longer creates the extra folders.

embyserver.txt

10 hours ago, Bambu Utila said:

Hi Luke,

here's the log.

I restarted Emby, then first i went to a movie where it's no issue to change the order of the background images, then i went to a movie where it's not possible anymore and tried to change the order a few times there.

This happens for every movie i tried so far that still has fanart in the extrafanart folder.

That first movie i tried has been added after an update to Emby where it no longer creates the extra folders.

embyserver.txt 117.97 kB · 0 downloads

It looks like the server is being denied write access to the folder in order to be able to swap the images around:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.

Bambu Utila
2 hours ago, Luke said:

It looks like the server is being denied write access to the folder in order to be able to swap the images around:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.

That's strange, because i've already reset the permissions to everybody read/write and i made sure to check folder inheritance for the permissions.

If i go to the shared drives with movies i can move things around without any problem.

Is there anything else i can check? I can't understand why it can go so far into the folder structure, but not that last folder?

Bambu Utila
On 10/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, Luke said:

Is it possible the subfolders have their own permissions set on them?

I found the issue!

For some reason my moves folder was owned by root while the tv folder was owned by my user.

Once i changed the owner of the movies folder it is working again.

Now i just need to figure out how my skin can work with this new way :( Since there is no more extrafanart folder my skin doesn't pick up the extra fanart anymore :(

FrostByte

Someone wrote a PS script to create extrafanart and move the appropriate jpg files.  You could use that in the meanwhile.  Emby still supports the folder, it just doesn't create them anymore.  I run it from Win10 to my server on Synology.

• Like 1

FrostByte
18 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

lol - Someone - wonder who that could possibly be?

Some dude in Warrington :)

• Like 1