Emby WMC fails to load

sleepy
Go to solution Solved by sleepy,

Well, quite suddenly Emby will not load. I just get a black screen for a few minutes and then I get a WMC error "Can't load Emby" or similar? I don't know what has changed from yesterday but I tried reinstalling both the Emby Server and WMC Clients and both stable and beta versions to no avail. Log attached.

MBClassic-20102020a54bcc9c70c04e8e893fa238a7893435.log

Hi, what version of Emby for WMC and what version of Emby Server are you running? What version of Windows is this on?

Looks like 317 and 4.5.2.   Your server IP address changed which is why it takes a long time to start up.

If you are getting an "Invalid Application" error, please find the error or message in the Windows Event Log.

Thanks.

Hi.  Can you just tell or show us what errors are there at the time  you try to start the application?

Also, what version of Windows?

7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you just tell or show us what errors are there at the time  you try to start the application?

Also, what version of Windows?

Hi, I get the "Invalid Application" "Unable to launch emby" error. It's been running absolutely fine until now. I suspect a config file has corrupted somehow?

I'm running Windows 10 btw.

2 hours ago, sleepy said:

I'm running Windows 10 btw.

Did Windows update?  That is a common source of problems with WMC on Win 10 since it isn't really supported.

Can you look in your event viewer for an event that happens right at the same time as the Invalid Application?  What does it say?

Do other portions of WMC work?

dansblackcat

As referenced by ebr, Windows 10 updates cause dramas with WMC.  It's pretty much the main reason I rolled back to W7.

Updates constantly broke media centre for me and I spent  more time trying to get/keep it running than I did enjoying it.

Only option was to turn updates off.  But then I had an out of date operating system, which I wasn't a fan of.

However many people get it working with little to no issues.  Hopefully you can be one.

• Solution

I can confirm that it was a Windows update that caused the issues. I reinstalled the WMC installation files and it's all back up and running again.

Cheers all.