Feature Request - Alphabetic Scrolling

breezytm
Go to solution Solved by BATTLE DONKEY,

breezytm

Hey Dev, 

Is it possible to implement alphabetic scrolling in media libraries?

It takes me literally an eternity to go from A to D for example in my movies library. Perhaps pressing and hold the Up/Down arrow can bring the alphabet and whatever letter i stop on it'll take me to the first movie or tv show starting with the letter.   

nydude25

Hey Dev, 

Is it possible to implement alphabetic scrolling in media libraries?

It takes me literally an eternity to go from A to D for example in my movies library. Perhaps pressing and hold the Up/Down arrow can bring the alphabet and whatever letter i stop on it'll take me to the first movie or tv show starting with the letter.   

Have you tried pressing the number key with the letter you are trying to get to? You can press each key a few times to get to that letter, like the old cell phones used to do for texting. 

breezytm

Have you tried pressing the number key with the letter you are trying to get to? You can press each key a few times to get to that letter, like the old cell phones used to do for texting. 

Great that means it's doable.

Unfortunately I have a remote. Harmony touch to be exact. No letters. 

Surely you can teach it into a harmony??

Sent by lumia 1020 & Tapatalk

BATTLE DONKEY

Should be able to program CTRL+J on ur harmony remote, it will bring up the jump to list. A row of letters u can scroll with ur remote and jump to any letter

breezytm

Should be able to program CTRL+J on ur harmony remote, it will bring up the jump to list. A row of letters u can scroll with ur remote and jump to any letter

Great. So the feature already exists. I just did it with the keyboard. I need to find which mce remote button is assign to it. Maybe @@ebr can assign it to the down button when in library. The down button doesn't do anything in that window.

I can't do it in my remote because unlike most my harmony remote is mimicking a mce remote not keyboard press. I use a lot of apps on my HTPC and that was the best way I got the same activity working for all of them.

BATTLE DONKEY

Try the 4 colour buttons, not sure if its assigned to one of them, but if not harmony has a profile for media centre remotes, I forget exactly which one, I think it is labeled with SE at the end or something like that which allows u to assign keyboard shortcuts to button presses

Found u the link:http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/td-p/374844?nobounce

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY

Deihmos
breezytm, on 25 Jul 2014 - 4:44 PM, said:

Great that means it's doable.

Unfortunately I have a remote. Harmony touch to be exact. No letters. 

You don't get a letter when you press a number key? Did you program an WMC remote?

BATTLE DONKEY

You don't get a letter when you press a number key? Did you program an WMC remote?

I think he meant they are not labeled with the letters and probably not easy to remember which number= which 3 letters

AdrianW

That st

You don't get a letter when you press a number key? Did you program an WMC remote?

He's got that Harmony Touch remote that has no number buttons - so he can't use the triple tap method for alpha entry.

I assume it's this one: harmonytouchlg.png

The BLUE button should bring up the new JUMP list.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

breezytm

Ha (screaming)

Gents. When I press the blue button on my harmony it just writes b on the screen :D. Unless I have something different than you guys do.

• Solution
BATTLE DONKEY

Which profile for media centre are u using for ur harmony remote? Try setting a test remote using the profile in the link I sent u and see if that profile works better

• Like 1

breezytm

Which profile for media centre are u using for ur harmony remote? Try setting a test remote using the profile in the link I sent u and see if that profile works better

So as you suggested I added the profile to my activity as a device. According to one of the harmony dev, its best to add both Windows Media SE and Microsoft MCE Keyboard in order to get full access to every Windows Media Center functions. Works great now.

The only problem now is I don't know which answer should i set as best answer since both you and EBR pretty much gave me valuable info.