Issues playing/seeking/resuming program while recording is in progress

bubba_nuts

Sammy
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Try recording in both 4K and 1080 and see if the 1080 version keeps recording when the 4K version faults.

I could if I had a 4K tuner for a source but I don't. All my content is either 1080i or 720p from my HDHomeRuns.

Sorry about that, I had been helping a person in PM with a similar issue but it's 4K related.

Emby Server and HDHomerun are both connected via Ethernet cable and no WIFI, Moca or Powerline adapters in play?
What hardware sits between the two?  Are these both plugged into your Internet router, or do you have an Ethernet switch they are both connected to?

Sammy

My Emby server and both HDHomeRun Primes are connected via ethernet to an Ubiquiti US-8-60W managed Switch which is DIRECTLY to my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Router via Cat6 Cables with the tuner cables 1 foot and the server cable 6 feet. I don't think it is hardware related.

image.thumb.png.b1bda0d6058afa4b59c554111a9b0f58.png

Edited by Sammy

It's good to keep firmware up to date but it's probably not going to help in this case as the firmware changes appear to be all ATSC 3.0 related.

Edited by cayars

Sammy

Any updates @Luke @ebr @softworkz?

This remains an issue.

1. Cannot start a recording in progress from the beginning.

2. Cannot FF or RW a recording in progress or LiveTV in general without the app failing (AndroidTV)

This is regression from something that worked fine a few versions ago and needs to be fixed.

Just now, Sammy said:

Any updates @Luke @ebr @softworkz?

This remains an issue.

1. Cannot start a recording in progress from the beginning.

2. Cannot FF or RW a recording in progress or LiveTV in general without the app failing (AndroidTV)

This is regression from something that worked fine a few versions ago and needs to be fixed.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Sammy

I will but I hate that app's interface from 10 feet.

I'll report back but it'll be a couple days before I get to it.

• Thanks 1

Sammy
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Installed and tested. Not only is the standard Android App a visual and functional nightmare on AndroidTV it did nothing to solve the issue at hand which is the loss of the ability to start playback of a recording in progress or pause/FF/RW a program in progress. There is a regression somewhere.

Sammy

Here's some more logs. I'm finding this issue exists in Emby Theater for Windows and in a Chrome Browser so it's most likely a server issue.

Had to zip the logs due to file size constraints.

Emby Logs.zip

Sammy

@Luke

@ebr

@softworkz

In my humble opinion when something that previously worked in a prior release is broken it should take priority. I've seen a lot of plugin updates lately yet this remains unattended to.

Since you're on the beta server, please let us know how the next build compares. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

SteveFintel

I just tried this with emby-server version 4.8.0.26. On the web client (version 4.7.11.28), I'm able to skip forward and backward without issue however the 'thumb' is always at the far left side rather than showing me the position within the recording. Definite progress.

20 hours ago, Sammy said:

Still unable to join a recording in progress

What, exactly, did you do and what happened?

Sammy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

What, exactly, did you do and what happened?

Oh sorry..

I started a recording then exited to the main screen, waited a minute or so and then went to the guide to tune to the channel but when I selected the channel I was not greeted with the choice to Play from Beginning or Play Live, selections I know were there before. Additionally, the active recording does not show up on the main screen or in the Recordings section under LiveTV even though I selected to show Active Recordings on the Main Screen.

SteveFintel
On 3/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, SteveFintel said:

I just tried this with emby-server version 4.8.0.26. On the web client (version 4.7.11.28), I'm able to skip forward and backward without issue however the 'thumb' is always at the far left side rather than showing me the position within the recording. Definite progress.

I take this back. When I start watching a recording in process on Emby Theater for Windows Desktop, I can only start watching from the live position. I cannot rewind to the beginning of the recording and I'm not given the 'Play from beginning' button on the recording info screen. Also, why can I enter how much I want to pad the beginning of a recording for a recording that's already started?

Sammy
2 hours ago, SteveFintel said:

...Also, why can I enter how much I want to pad the beginning of a recording for a recording that's already started?

Emby does not have a pre-record buffer. It isn't cloud based like a major provider where they can buffer every channel on their server at an AWS server farm. Imagine a guide with just 50  channels associated with a tuner connected to your Emby Server; Emby would have to have 50 recordings going on your server in order to accomplish this request.

Sammy
2 hours ago, SteveFintel said:

I take this back. When I start watching a recording in process on Emby Theater for Windows Desktop, I can only start watching from the live position. I cannot rewind to the beginning of the recording and I'm not given the 'Play from beginning' button on the recording info screen...

You should post logs to help the Dev's out.

• Like 1