Video playback changed?

AdrianW

AdrianW

Something appears to have changed with video playback recently. 
I used to use hardware acceleration mode "Auto (copy back)" but today I noticed some frames being dropped (but only on 1080 50fps content).

I tried a bunch of different settings and finally found that a HW acceleration mode of "None" actually worked fine with that content, which is weird as I previously needed to use "Auto (copy back)" to get decent playback.

I am running ET on an older NUC which only has an intel HD5000 iGPU, but's it's been fine with all content for years.

I  noticed that the Stats for Nerds display has also been altered. Maybe that's related.

(Note: mode "Auto" never works properly on my NUC).

AdrianW

No, Auto has never worked on my NUC. It always ended up stuttering and dropping frames.

I tried a few different acceleration options yesterday - at least one of them ended up with the video being transcoded, which is ridiculous (considering the NUC is the server as well).

I'm going to leave it on None for a while, hopefully all of my various content will continue to play.

sooty234

The only way I can think of that would make it transcode in those circumstances is that the GPU doesn't support the pixel format. I'm pretty sure you have logging configured for mpv. Can you post the log? 

AdrianW

I'm not sure which acceleration option caused the transcoding. And, I haven't got mpv logging switched on, the oldest log is from about 5 months ago.

I wonder what was changed in ET (or in mpv) to cause the change. 

AdrianW

ET will be using whatever version of mpv comes with ET.

I haven't manually updated the video driver in a long time (years). According to Device Manager the driver version is 20.19.15.4835 with a date of 16/10/2017, so I'd say no.

There was a major Windows update to version is 2004 (19041.572) the other day.

I'll switch mpv logging back on.

sooty234

Theater is about to be updated, and that has some big changes. You might want to wait for that. Maybe update your driver, too? 

AdrianW
1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

You might want to wait for that. Maybe update your driver, too? 

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

AdrianW
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Yea for three year old drivers

It is an old NUC, Intel don't update the drivers that often. I had a look at what was available and the most recent is still over 2 years old.