IMPOSSIBLE AMOUNTS OF BUFFERING OUTSIDE OF MY LAN

Andythediver

Andythediver

So, Emby used to stream perfectly when i had normal old broadband.

Since upgrading my talktalk package to faster fiber [it is faster - i regularly chech the speeds] Emby buuffers to the poit of un watchability! 1 second of play to 15 seconds of bffering and repeat. If its not my uupload speed at home and im on g on m galaxy s10plus - what am i doing wrong?

Is this using your cellular network or a WIFI network?

What is you upload speed where the server is located?

Have you tried this on another device or from a friends house?

Do does Emby work inside your house?

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Is this using your cellular network or a WIFI network?

What is you upload speed where the server is located?

Have you tried this on another device or from a friends house?

Do does Emby work inside your house?

when at home, its a wired xpenologyy nas - runing emby in a docker - to samsung galaxy s10 over wifi - this works switch the s10 to cellular 4g network with 3 of 5 bars signal - buffers to hell!

upload speed from isp has been measuured in the range as low as 4mbs up to 9mbs - not ideal i know but didnt have issues at 900kbs previously

have tried it in many locations - including friends wifi [buffers] cafe wifi [buffers]  office wifi [buffers]  laptop connected to office wifi - buffers but to a slightly lesser degree [also is marginally better through web interface rather than emby for android app [but that could be me wishful thinking]

emby works flawlessly inside the lan on every device ive tried it on.

5 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Yeah, I think the ISP is throttling. Is your server encrypted (SSL)?

Yes and also 4 to 9mbps is pretty low to begin with so any latency issues just magnify the buffer problem.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Try some of the less popular speed testers (I always use nperf) that use https to see what upload they give.  if they give a decent upload, then so should emby using encrypted ports.  You could also try a non standard non-ssl port, but they are likely using packet inspection to it may not make any difference. 

• Thanks 1

Q-Droid

I see posts from different usernames, same person?

What is the playback bitrate (from the server log)? Is internet streaming capped on the server and to what value? If the stream bitrate exceeds the low and variable bandwidth available it ain't gonna work.

Any settings such as transcoding disabled, playback bitrate overrides, etc?

sorry for the delay in getting back to posters - i will reply to all - i ust need a chance to follow the ssl setup before i can add anything further  yes probably 2 or possibly as many as  4 accounts now - having tried to start again - then leave it for a few months then have another go. 

Edited by ATCRS
sticking #4 button on my keyboard!

2 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

What is the playback bitrate (from the server log)? Is internet streaming capped on the server and to what value? If the stream bitrate exceeds the low and variable bandwidth available it ain't gonna work.

ive tried capping it to come in well below my isp bandwidth - even at 1meg it buffers the same. On the Player side, ifve changed bitrate setting from auto and - if set low enough, i can almost get 15 seconds buffer free but i may as well be looking at the screen through greaseproof paper the quality is so bad!

I'm fairly certain its not specifically an emby issue as ive just had a play with synology's proprietory video server - video station. the only response i get from that outside of the lan is a black screen.

Q-Droid

I think it's time to post server logs and transcoding logs from your tests. Also might be worth testing with low bitrate SD content if you have it and post those logs. Low enough bitrate that it can stream without transcoding.

It's not clear yet if your service is just bad on the upstream, if your server can't keep up with the transcoding or like the others said if your ISP is detecting and traffic shaping your video streams.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 16:09, Q-Droid said:

It's not clear yet if your service is just bad on the upstream, if your server can't keep up with the transcoding or like the others said if your ISP is detecting and traffic shaping your video streams.

Hi - II've done a little more estingg to try to prove/disprove if its ISP related.

I have installed another Emby server on my laptop and copied a folder of content from the first server - so its the same media that im streaming.

It works flawlessly! both in and outside my network. -  

I have also downloaded and installed the latest version of emb for synolog nas [I'm using an xpenology os} and only added the same folder to it as works on the laptop. Again perfect inside the lan - yet impossible buffering on the internet even as low as 240kbs

emby is exonerated - i now need to study the nas- does anone have any idea where to start?

1 minute ago, Q-Droid said:

It sounds like your server can't keep up. You haven't posted the requested logs.

if that were the case, wouldn't i have the same issue on LAN?

Q-Droid

LAN is unlimited bitrate so it can direct play/stream. WAN is very limited bitrate and almost certainly has to transcode. Again, without logs we can only speculate about what the server is doing.

11 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

LAN is unlimited bitrate so it can direct play/stream. WAN is very limited bitrate and almost certainly has to transcode. Again, without logs we can only speculate about what the server is doing.

ok - but i have monitored the transcoding and the player says im streaming it direct [if i set to 20kbs then the transcoder kicks in - at 128kb theres very little buffering - though quality is unwatchable] the logs are huge 

embyserver.txt

Very old server and things are mixing as well.

Time to do an upgrade.  Post new log files after that if you have issues.

25 minutes ago, cayars said:

Very old server and things are mixing as well.

Time to do an upgrade.  Post new log files after that if you have issues.

its because its running in a docker and im not confident that i can update from within - i remember many hours of pain setting this up - bring back windows! lol. 

I have today installed the latest version directly from emby website - if i tr to run that from the package centre, the "run" button constantl flickers from run to install - thouggh it seems to be running. i then copied the same file to this as i copied to my windows laptop emby server - that has no issues [to prove its not the files themselves] i get the same buffering - so not the container nor the age of the server [i remember reading that becauuse its xpenology, emby cant correctly detect the processor type? - im speaking from memory and it was a while ogo] - i genuinely feel its something to do with what xpenology does to hide itself from the synology website - or the wa it sends data througgh my router as everthing is just fine and dandy on lan - even if i deliberatel "choke" bandwidth down - even as far as 20kbs [transcoding then starts on the fly - but doesnt buffer]

4 hours ago, ATCRS said:

oK SO NOW IVE ADDED A FEW LIBRARIES TO THE NEW SERVER - IVE NOT DELETED THE OLD ONE - JUST STOPPED IT RUNNING AND ALSO STOPPED DOCKER.HERE ARE A FEW LOGS AFTER EXPERIMENTING WITH THE NEW ONE - I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT ITS NOT JUST THE VIDEO THAT BUFFERS, IT TAKES AN AGE TO "DRAW" THE HOME SCREEN TOO oops caps lock sorry the transcode logs are from when i set the bitrate to 240 and 144 kb - there is no buffering at all at 144kbs 

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-19c5df31-4410-484e-9e41-fc5caef954c8_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-65891999-6519-4bbf-a31d-88f938d7d81b_1.txt

It looks like your server is working hard trying to load new libraries and removing older entries that don't exist anymore.

WAIT until all this is done, then try again.