IMPOSSIBLE AMOUNTS OF BUFFERING OUTSIDE OF MY LAN

Andythediver

Hi, transcoding performance looks good. Perhaps your isp is throttling you? That could be happening on either side of the connection.

crusher11

Wasn't that possibility eliminated with the new server on the laptop?

I have a similar issue - remote users can direct stream at high-enough bitrates to play DVD content, but a Blu-ray transcoding down to even 1Mbps buffers constantly. And yet, the transcode occurs at 2-4x the playback speed, and there is generally a transcode buffer of well over a minute for the entire duration of playback.

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, transcoding performance looks good. Perhaps your isp is throttling you? That could be happening on either side of the connection.

i ruled that out by creating a second server on my laptop - this plays perfectly across the net using the same video file to the same samsung phone - even in the same location. its something to do with the box i'm sure

• 3 weeks later...

Further experimentation and recap...........

1. laptop based server to galaxy s10 on 4g   = faultless   - points to my xpenology nas?

2. xpenology nas to galaxy s10 on same wifi = faultless  - still the nas?????

3. xpenology nas to galaxy s10 on 4g  = unwatchable - my 4g?

4. SHOCK HORROR!!!!!  - xpenology nas to laptop - using my phone's 4g tethered - NO FAULTS - my s10?

5. xpenology nas to 2 other android devices - using s10 4g tethered  - will not play - even with the laptop still chugging away. - Android app?

6. xpenology nas to iphone - wont work - there goes the android theory

7. miraculously - xpenoligy wifi to another household's wifi attachhed pc/laptop - now working

8. my phone/any android device [tried 2 or 3 and an iphone for good measure] to another household wifi - wont work

its as if the portable stuff doesnt have the grunt to run or not enough buffered content before playing -  checking the bit rate - all devices select direct play if set on auto - if i set 144p it plays buut then becomes unwatchable in terms of picture quality. -i get the same results from both chrome browser and the emby app

this is driving me crazy!! ive wasted many gigs of mobile data playing with this and yyet im no closer to sorting it out

[apologies for typos - m keboard is playing uup  - predominantly y,u,h,j,n &m]

Hi, Looks like a routing issue or WAN issue to me.

But you have VERY limited bandwidth available to use which is always going to be a problem.  

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Looks like a routing issue or WAN issue to me.

But you have VERY limited bandwidth available to use which is always going to be a problem.  

i used handbrake to set total bitrate of the file to 1Mbs - the fawlty towers episodes are as low as 720kbs - surely that should go? speed tests give my upload bandwidth to 8mbs

I thought you reported 3 to 4Mb earlier which would be in the problematic range for many people.  With 8 Mb if solid and always available (and true) that would be enough.

What we don't know is what the ISPs are doing with your traffic.

i didnt want to overstate my 8meg up - i stated 3-4 as ive seen it in that range - buut as nothing i hae is encoded hghert than 2mbs - i didnt think this could be an issue - if its my isp, why does it only affect smaller moblie devices {android/iphone etc?]  if i use the laptop on 4g - no issues.

im reluctantly considering going back to plex - thouugh i love everything about emby - its pointless if unstreamable.

14 hours ago, ATCRS said:

i didnt want to overstate my 8meg up - i stated 3-4 as ive seen it in that range - buut as nothing i hae is encoded hghert than 2mbs - i didnt think this could be an issue - if its my isp, why does it only affect smaller moblie devices {android/iphone etc?]  if i use the laptop on 4g - no issues.

im reluctantly considering going back to plex - thouugh i love everything about emby - its pointless if unstreamable.

There could be ISP throttling occurring. That's very common nowadays. Some users have been able to get around it by setting up SSL on their emby server, and/or using different public facing router ports.

4 hours ago, cayars said:

Are you setup to use SSL for remote connections?

no - not even sure i know how to! looks like im offf to do a bt of googling.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

There could be ISP throttling occurring. That's very common nowadays. Some users have been able to get around it by setting up SSL on their emby server, and/or using different public facing router ports.

i thought that tethering myy laptop to 4g via my S10, I'd ruled out my isp? yet the same connection - to my s10 chrome browser - wont work?

No, what you did was just use your cell network as the ISP for one part of the transmission.  At least in my parts the cell guys are the worse offenders of traffic shaping!

Edited by cayars