Multichannel PCM outputs as 2.0

rblu19

As this is likely more of a windows issue than an Emby issue, especially since the same problem occurs when playing the files in vlc, I apologize in advance. I just figured my chancesĀ  of getting my answer were better here than on a more general windows forum (also why I posted the topic on the emby theater section).

My problem, hopefully, is explained by the title well enough - when I play any file with a pcm audio track (direct setting on my avr), it always outputs as pcm 2.0. Doesn't matter if it's 1.0 or 5.1. I tried converting to one of the files to flac, same problem. According to the info screen I can pull up on my receiver, it seems that the input signal is being read as 2.0, so the computer itself is sending along a stereo signal. Are there any settings in emby I can play around with, or is this strictly a "computer audio settings" type of deal (and if so, any tips on which settings would be appreciated), or is there a way to convert pcm to a different lossless format that can then be bitstreamed to the receiver (maybe that would fix it)? Settings in emby would be ideal, since it took a bit of trial and error to get the rest of the settings where they are (basically, I have a full 7.1.4 setup, but I'd like 5.1 to output as 5.1 instead of 7.1.4 or 2.0, for example).

For whatever this information is worth, computer is running windows 10 and receiver is denon avr-x6300h

I apologize for the lack of logs - for some reason playing a video file with lpcm didn't create any new logs, and I couldn't find any mention of them in other logs, unless I just was looking in the wrong parts of the logs (searching the film's title or pcm yielded no results).

I know this is a lot, but thank you in advance, for whatever help you can give

sooty234

Are you using this app, and if so, post screenshots of your audio settings. You also need to make sure your Windows audio is configured to your speaker config.

I am using that app. Good news, though, I got it settled. For whatever reason, setting my speakers to a 5.1 setup seemed to fix it - pcm sets to multichannel in 5.1 (even if lpcm is 1.0/2.0, but that seems to only actually come from the 2 front speakers, so I can work with that). Anything other than pcm switches to direct, and the proper number of speakers.

sooty234

Why not use audio passthrough? You can find the settings by clicking the user icon in the top right corner and going to audio. I'd suggest doing that because you have an Atmos setup.