Roku screensaver trumps Emby playing of photos

mfeitosa

mfeitosa

Hello,

First, do you by chance have an app for Samsung TV?

If not, no problem. I didnt find one which is why I ask.

I bought the below Roku
Amazon.com: Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Controls: Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XLWML4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I select Photos from your application (streaming from a windows box on the same network with emby server) after a few minutes the Roku Screensaver kicks in with the buildings and movie references....I dont want this, I want your photos to play.

Surprisingly when a click something the screensaver goes away and the photos are still there changing....

I checked online for Roku Screensaver and nothing ressonates, I find no setting at all in Roku for screensavers, not a channel, anuything

Can you please help me have your software running the slideshow when I press the play button

Also, the fact that you can press the play button to get a slide show although natural is not intuitive and took a long time for me to figure out...some screen cue for that woudl be most welcome.

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,

Miguel Feitosa

2 hours ago, mfeitosa said:

First, do you by chance have an app for Samsung TV?

If not, no problem. I didnt find one which is why I ask.

There is a Samsung TV app, but it is not currently available in the app store in all regions.

However, you can install the Beta version locally via a USB stick.  The Beta version is reliable, and is generally the next release candidate.

General Samsung forum is here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/119-samsung-smart-tv/

Yes I can. We might not be able to stop it without some sort of manual intervention. I do not think they ever made a setting "do not let screen saver interrupt this". But I can make it stop interrupt things when playing photo sessions by another means. Sure. :)

Edited by speechles

I'm pretty sure there was a hack in the app a long time ago to send keypresses during photo playback.  Recent firmware updates may have usurped that...

You can no longer "SEND" ECP keypresses from within the app. It will not see them as valid from itself. A rogue app could install other apps like BNN used to do. BNN could install Emby and Emby Beta from within itself among other apps. But BNN did it nicely and asked and only allowed certain apps. A rogue app could fill your Roku until it was full.

But.. even though no longer routes back to host it does reset the timer for the last event on the remote control which does control the screen saver time until appearance.

I can send the ECP chr(32) and send a space if that is the only way. Space is nothing wrapped inside blank space to the Roku. I will first look for any other way possible before going there. The static analyzer may complain and the Store will block the update possibly using ECP. Another way is better.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
15 hours ago, mfeitosa said:

I find no setting at all in Roku for screensavers, not a channel, anuything

There is a setting in the Roku menu to turn off the Roku screensaver or adjust it many ways:
Goto (settings->Theme) and there you can choose to change the screensaver itself or the screensaver wait time 
There are five different choices for wait time including "Disable screensaver"

mfeitosa

Wow...thanks Guys and Gals for the answers, it is highly appreciated, I am going to try the samsung beta and go from there...

mfeitosa
"Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have."
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"God and UFOs choose the strangest people to talk to." Billy Connolly
"To ignore the facts does not change the facts."
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."  Douglas Adams 

This is precious...

mfeitosa
19 hours ago, SamES said:

There is a Samsung TV app, but it is not currently available in the app store in all regions.

However, you can install the Beta version locally via a USB stick.  The Beta version is reliable, and is generally the next release candidate.

General Samsung forum is here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/119-samsung-smart-tv/

Worked perfectly thank you, exactly as described and has features that are very welcome such as random, did not find a place to set the amount of time a picture is shown....also much much faster than the roku version, I guess the hardware for the samsung tv is better? Dunno....
Thank you very much for your prompt reply...you have solved my problem...I hope to see this in the Samsung app store...it is pretty baked...seems very solid...thanks again...and finally if I end up using this a lot will certainly buy your premium subscription...

• Like 1

Indeed. During photo slideshow it should not be interrupting and we will do something to fix that problem. Please stay tuned. ;)

• 6 months later...