EMBY ATSC3

lklein

1 hour ago, cayars said:

From https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74323&start=105

image.thumb.png.894ef9f67f3e52258ed0fb35cdc88e72.png

It sounds like the previous versions will do pass through to another device that supports AC-4 or the 3rd gen 2019 will be able to do it in hardware.
Of course this is from SiliconDust and not from Nvidia but I'm sure they've done a lot of testing with the Shields.

If Dolby has basically wrapped AC-4 support in their Atmos support, and your Shield is connected to an Atmos-capable receiver, then this should work for us as well.  My test with my Shield was not connected to an Atmos receiver.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

If Dolby has basically wrapped AC-4 support in their Atmos support, and your Shield is connected to an Atmos-capable receiver, then this should work for us as well.  My test with my Shield was not connected to an Atmos receiver.

Im going to test this right now! 

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

I don't know if the wrapped it in but if any hardware manufacture has licensed Atmos then AC-4 is free for them so it would make sense to include it as it costs nothing extra in license fees.

21 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Im going to test this right now! 

It isn't going to work until there is an app update as well...

22 minutes ago, ebr said:

So I have a 2019 Shield TV Pro, hooked up to an atmos receiver and with the newest beta build of emby, it wont even play the video stream from ATSC 3.0 channels because of the same error from my previous logs. It tries to transcode the stream, realizes it cant handle AC4 and the makes like 20 log files about it. I tried the beta and the latest stable release, the stable version will still play video but there is no audio with it.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

It isn't going to work until there is an app update as well...

Too late, already checked, you cant stop me no matter who you are.

EDIT: This does make me wonder, why would the server be able to pass through the AC4 audio to a phone that supports it, but not to the shield?

Edited by lukeoslavia

jrwalte

I'd guess its an issue with the exoplayer not being told it can passthrough AC4 to an Atmos capable receiver or the communication back to Emby server for it to know and not transcode.

Edited by jrwalte

jrwalte
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

How did you test my file on Shield? I could do the same test with my Atmos receiver, if it would help?

3 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

How did you test my file on Shield? I could do the same test with my Atmos receiver, if it would help?

You cannot test it yet because the app is currently not AC4 aware and the server also cannot handle it.  So far, I have been unsuccessful getting the Shield to report support for AC4 - even when connected to an Atmos receiver.  That may be just be a deficiency in the reporting mechanism (which may not be aware that the Atmos receiver can handle it) so I'm going to have to test it out by forcing the app to pass it through and see what happens.

• Like 1

jrwalte

image.thumb.png.322ce2422a225571942a8ac08d846982.png

5 hours ago, lukeoslavia said:

I am actually currently using Channels and it hasn't worked for me, in terms of AC4 content. I'm not sure if there is some additional setup required, but it doesn't just work out of the box. When I signed up though, it gave me a month for free before I had to pay. 

So I just set this up. Using the Beta server and beta android app, I can confirm I am able to get audio to my Shield 2019 Pro with a Denon x4500H. The Denon is reporting it as PCM but it is getting all 5.1 channels.

clarkss12
6 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

So I just set this up. Using the Beta server and beta android app, I can confirm I am able to get audio to my Shield 2019 Pro with a Denon x4500H. The Denon is reporting it as PCM but it is getting all 5.1 channels.

Are you saying that you now get audio from the ATSC 3 channels under Emby??

jrwalte

No. I get audio using the Channels app in beta. Channels is going to make no difference to Emby. The issue with Emby is within Emby and it needing to identify it can work with AC4 under which setups.

11 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

image.thumb.png.322ce2422a225571942a8ac08d846982.png

Nice, but I read some others have gotten this working in emby as well, but after looking again, it appears they were using Samsung phones and tablets. They said when they played through channels > emby > phone/tablet it worked fine, but with channels> channels app the sound was either mono or garbled. Odd.

3 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Are you saying that you now get audio from the ATSC 3 channels under Emby??

I am pretty sure he is using the channels beta server and channels app

jrwalte

They could get audio to work on their phones without Channels.

I was only using Emby as my Live TV service and I was getting AC4 audio through my phone. They don't need Channels for that.

Just now, jrwalte said:

They could get audio to work on their phones without Channels.

I was only using Emby as my Live TV service and I was getting AC4 audio through my phone. They don't need Channels for that.

right, i dont think they knew that, this is on a channels forum, not emby forum though.

either way, you can use the HDHR app for free if you wanted to use a separate app to view ATSC 3, so its kinda moot unless there is a way to make it work in emby 😕

jrwalte

It's not moot, because I can manage DVR series and play back recorded ATSC3 with the channels app. So I'm getting a 'stand alone' Live TV/DVR service through Channels DVR.

With HDHR I can only watch live. I haven't tested if their DVR software would work. But I have an added benefit I'm trying out with Channels. The ability to collate and view/record IP streams from a cable provider. I'm trying my dads DirecTV :)

Edited by jrwalte

clarkss12

HDHR app DOES record AND playback the HEVC streams with the AC-4 audio codec............

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

It's not moot, because I can play back recorded ATSC3 with the channels app. So I'm getting a 'stand alone' Live TV/DVR service through Channels DVR.

With HDHR I can only watch live. I haven't tested if their DVR software would work. But I have an added benefit I'm trying out with Channels. The ability to collate and view/record IP streams from a cable provider. I'm trying my dads DirecTV :)

Thats exactly why I kept channels as well, it works pretty well for TVE and the guide data is spot on. Although, I suppose it really isn't moot, because you can also keep all of your movie and tv libraries in the channels server as well. You could use it replace emby/plex I suppose, few less apps available I guess. 

Also im pretty sure SD mentioned previously you can DVR and playback ATSC 3 content with their service.

jrwalte
1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

HDHR app DOES record AND playback the HEVC streams with the AC-4 audio codec............

That's a good cheaper option in the meantime until Emby fixed at least. But because of this IPTV I'm sticking with Channels now. I don't mind hopping to another app for Live/Recording and my Emby server for my MKV movies to have the added benefit of IPTV cable integrated with my OTA guide. Granted it only 2 channel audio for IPTV. But dolby upmixer doesn't work bad :)

Edited by jrwalte

13 hours ago, jrwalte said:

The Denon is reporting it as PCM but it is getting all 5.1 channels

That would be because it is being decoded before it gets to the receiver.  IOW - it isn't being passed thru as AC-4.  There is an AC-4 decoder being utilized in the app or on the device.

jrwalte

Can you think of a software that may be able to work with AC4? Using latest MKVtoolnix and it can't recognize the audio.

Edited by jrwalte

emveepee

@clarkss12 does that v107.mpeg file have 5:1 playable? 

@ebr here is an mp4 of that file.  Tools used eac3to to extract hevc and the second audio track and then muxed with reference ac4 mp4 muxer from github.

These files should play on Roku Ultra directly.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

clarkss12

@emveepee, I can not verify if that mpeg clip plays in DD 5.1, since I do not have an app that can play that clip with audio. 

I created the clip by using this address in an internet browser window (http://192.168.10.41:5004/auto/v107.1?duration=30).  However, using the HDHomeRun app running under Android, it shows the live or recorded HEVC stream in DD 5.1 on my AVR.