EMBY ATSC3

lklein

clarkss12

They finally started broadcasting in HEVC Video and Dolby AC-4 in my area (ATSC 3.0).  Not many devices support that audio codec, including the Nvidia Shield, therefore, there is no audio when playing those ATSC 3 channels.  Is there a way you can do your magic so that that audio can be converted to a "standard" audio codec, so there is sound when playing media from those ATSC 3 channels?

This has been a topic in the recent ffmpeg developer meeting on Saturday, and it is planned to do a decoder implementation soon.

• Like 1

clarkss12
9 minutes ago, softworkz said:

This has been a topic in the recent ffmpeg developer meeting on Saturday, and it is planned to do a decoder implementation soon.

That is terrific news..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jason'sEmby

Hope you guys don't mind that I'm posting a Plex Forum on here but there was good information on there. It looks like they figured out some type of filters that enable the audio to work with the ffmpeg. I don't know if this can be implemented on the server but figured the brains of the operation could take a look at this 😆

https://forums.plex.tv/t/atsc3-0-broadcast-and-ac-4-sound/647437

• Like 1

emveepee

There is an still unreleased ffmpeg patch for AC-4 in patchworks that I have working in NextPVR as far as I can test it.

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emveepee said:

There is an still unreleased ffmpeg patch for AC-4 in patchworks that I have working in NextPVR as far as I can test it.

Martin

You referring to this one?

https://github.com/richardpl/FFmpeg/tree/ac4

Bit of a mess code wise in parts or "hacky" from what I've been told.

emveepee

Yes I certainly wouldn't use it for core ffmpeg transcoding, but it plays all the ATSC 3.0 samples I have which is why I created a HDHR-4K specific input addon.   With a known source the main hack private stream 6 being forced to AC-4 probably isn't as bad as  with unknown sources.

Martin

• Like 3

Jason'sEmby

I guess the question would be is a good enough for a Beta release just in time for Super Bowl 😄🤣.  I know when it's ready it's ready. Just dreaming!

Didn't your tuner come with software that does work with it?  For the super bowl you could use that to view live.

It's not like you'll need to skip commercials or half time show as they can be just as good as the game, sometimes better. LOL

I wish we had 4K Super Bowl broadcast in my area!
I'm jealous but happy for U!

Edited by cayars

Jason'sEmby
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Didn't your tuner come with software that does work with it?  For the super bowl you could use that to view live.

It's not like you'll need to skip commercials or half time show as they can be just as good as the game, sometimes better. LOL

I wish we had 4K Super Bowl broadcast in my area!
I'm jealous but happy for U!

Lol for me it's not a problem. More for some of my family that are either remote or on deployment that have access to a 4K TV and a decent internet connection. Hopefully the OTA broadcast will be in 4k. Right now they're just broadcasting in 1080P at 60 frames but suppose they will turn on 4k on for the super bowl.  

Love the picture of a COLLEGE football for the NFL Super Bowl.

I didn't realize CBS has never broadcast a game in 4K.  I guess that wouldn't be the game to try new technology. :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2021 at 12:17 AM, lukeoslavia said:

Is there any news on this? @Luke  @ebr

I read that there are some (test?) versions of ffmpeg that now include support for AC-4, and that it is working with Kodi. 

Hi, yes we are looking into it. Thanks.

• Like 1

BillOatman

Has anyone heard any news on the Android boxes such as the nvidia shield and tivo stream supporting that audio native?

• 2 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

My Shield device works if I use the Channels DVR app. For some reason, I thought it was working with the Emby app yesterday but it's not today. 

It does work on the Xbox S with the HDHOmerun software. 

• 4 weeks later...
RandallC

@Luke, any further word on timing?  I'm wondering if now's the time for me to pull the trigger on one of these puppies: https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-HDHR5-4K-Connect-NextGen/dp/B08MWV7YTV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hdhomerun+atsc+3.0&qid=1618851938&s=electronics&sr=1-1

My poor little Emby NUC has to work so hard with its simple USB tuner.  It needs relief!

This will work just fine in ATSC 1.0 mode for all 4 tuners right now just like the non ATSC 3 connect does.

When ac4 is added to ffmpeg then 2 of your tuners will also function as ATSC 3.0 tuners.

So nothing wrong with spending a bit more on this version of the Connect as it's usable now and shortly will have additional functionality. Of course you will need channels broadcast in 3.0 in your area as well.

RandallC
40 minutes ago, cayars said:

This will work just fine in ATSC 1.0 mode for all 4 tuners right now just like the non ATSC 3 connect does.

When ac4 is added to ffmpeg then 2 of your tuners will also function as ATSC 3.0 tuners.

So nothing wrong with spending a bit more on this version of the Connect as it's usable now and shortly will have additional functionality. Of course you will need channels broadcast in 3.0 in your area as well.

Thanks @cayars, that's a great point.  And yes, I'm in the Phoenix area which is an ATSC 3.0 hotbed if I am not mistaken.  

Keep up the great work.  Emby brings a lot of joy to me and my family.

• Like 1

emveepee

I just got the V10 Roku firmware update and my Roku Ultra 4800x can now direct play ATSC 3.0 HEVC/AC-4 in a TS container.  I use NextPVR (server and Roku channel) not Emby but I expect it is not be that far away.  TS seeking isn't any better though.

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Like 1