Forgot Password, Forgot Username

JBL

Hi Everyone, 

I forgot the password to my admin-level account on my Emby Server (not Windows, but the actual Emby Server app itself). 

When I choose "Forgot Password", I enter the name of my account, and am presented with "Please contact your system admin to reset your password". 

Any way around this, or do I need to uninstall Emby and re-install from scratch? 

Forgot-Password.PNG

Happy2Play

That pop-up means it is a user account not a admin account.  But only way I can think of would be maybe looking in the users.db but will not should the username account level, but may allow you to remember the correct username.

Only other way would be possible changing settings in a user file while Emby is shut down, do to the id naming scheme could be hard to find the correct user if you have a lot of users. 

But I guess the proper answer would be running the installer again creating a new user.  All existing user will not be touched.  Sorry that won't work as the <IsStartupWizardCompleted>true</IsStartupWizardCompleted> flag is honored.   So changing this option to false in system.xml with emby shut down will relauch the wizard.

Edited by Happy2Play

1 hour ago, JBL said:

Hi Everyone, 

I forgot the password to my admin-level account on my Emby Server (not Windows, but the actual Emby Server app itself). 

When I choose "Forgot Password", I enter the name of my account, and am presented with "Please contact your system admin to reset your password". 

Any way around this, or do I need to uninstall Emby and re-install from scratch? 

Forgot-Password.PNG

If you zip up and PM a copy of your user.db (while Emby is shut down) file I can fix this for you by resetting the password of one admin account.

Alternately if you want to install TeamViewer I can help you remote and do it on your computer as well.

But if you remember the admin account name you can reset this yourself using the method you were trying.  It just needs to be the admin account.

Happy2Play

I didn't think of it until now but user 1 in the users.db will be your admin account unless you created another user later and removed that priviledge from first created user. 

• Like 2

Yep, short of removing admin privs from that user, it's the "gold" user. :)

But even if it's not the admin user if you don't have a lot of users it's still pretty easy to fix via xml editing by making it the admin user.

Edited by cayars

On 10/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, Happy2Play said:

I didn't think of it until now but user 1 in the users.db will be your admin account unless you created another user later and removed that priviledge from first created user. 

Thx much! @Happy2Play I ended up just uninstalling and re-installing Emby Server, resolved the issue. Thx for taking the time to reply back with your suggestions though, super nice of you. I'll be sure to refer back to them if I forget the password again. Thx!!

On 10/17/2020 at 11:23 PM, cayars said:

Yep, short of removing admin privs from that user, it's the "gold" user. :)

But even if it's not the admin user if you don't have a lot of users it's still pretty easy to fix via xml editing by making it the admin user.

Thx @cayars good info!!

On 10/17/2020 at 11:06 PM, cayars said:

If you zip up and PM a copy of your user.db (while Emby is shut down) file I can fix this for you by resetting the password of one admin account.

Alternately if you want to install TeamViewer I can help you remote and do it on your computer as well.

But if you remember the admin account name you can reset this yourself using the method you were trying.  It just needs to be the admin account.

Thx again for the offer to help, super nice of you. That's what I love about the Emby community, everyone is really cool. I ended up just uninstalling and re-installing Emby Server a couple of mins after I made the initial post (got a little impatient, that's my fault). 

On 10/21/2020 at 12:19 AM, Luke said:

@JBL have these answers helped you resolve the issue?

Hi @Luke , everyone's answers where super helpful, thx! It was very cool of @cayars and @Happy2Play to hit me back with their offers of help and suggestions. Right after I made the initial post I just uninstalled and re-installed Emby Server...I was being a little impatient (that's my fault tho...). 

• Like 1