Moving to NAS with HDMI port

ursusltd

ursusltd

I'm currently running Emby server on my PC with the Emby client running on an LG OLED55B7. As I've added more 4k HDR content my wifi network (Google Nest Mesh) struggled to play smoothly so I have connected the PC via powerline devices which have improved things.

I keep my data on a USB connected Drobo device on the PC and am thinking of moving the lot to an Asustor Nimbustor 4 - AS5304T NAS, mainly because it has an HDMI port which I can connect straight to the TV and bypass the network altogether for watching movies. The basic specs of the NAS are:

• Intel Celeron J4105 quad core 1.5 GHz
  • HDMI 2.0a

Are there any inherent problems with running Emby on this NAS and using the HDMI output to the TV? I want to view up to 4k HDR, preferably direct rips rather than the compressed mkv's I use at present.

The only problem I can see at the moment is I backup some 10tb of data from the Drobo using Crashplan. This gives be unlimited storage  for a very reasonable £10 per month. Backing up a NAS on Crashplan is not supported (Drobo is USB) and every other cloud backup service seems to be VERY expensive - are there any reasonably priced cloud backup solutions out there?

Thanks

mastrmind11
59 minutes ago, ursusltd said:

I'm currently running Emby server on my PC with the Emby client running on an LG OLED55B7. As I've added more 4k HDR content my wifi network (Google Nest Mesh) struggled to play smoothly so I have connected the PC via powerline devices which have improved things.

I keep my data on a USB connected Drobo device on the PC and am thinking of moving the lot to an Asustor Nimbustor 4 - AS5304T NAS, mainly because it has an HDMI port which I can connect straight to the TV and bypass the network altogether for watching movies. The basic specs of the NAS are:

• Intel Celeron J4105 quad core 1.5 GHz
  • HDMI 2.0a

Are there any inherent problems with running Emby on this NAS and using the HDMI output to the TV? I want to view up to 4k HDR, preferably direct rips rather than the compressed mkv's I use at present.

The only problem I can see at the moment is I backup some 10tb of data from the Drobo using Crashplan. This gives be unlimited storage  for a very reasonable £10 per month. Backing up a NAS on Crashplan is not supported (Drobo is USB) and every other cloud backup service seems to be VERY expensive - are there any reasonably priced cloud backup solutions out there?

Thanks

You'll have to ensure you can direct play everything or you'll run into issues.  That CPU is pretty wimpy.

I use Backblaze for backups, its like $60 / year or something for standard clients, and $0.005/GB if you use the B2 cloud option (which is a requirement if you want to backup linux).