Video Format / Container

Bert

So I was reading that now the android client's preferred container is .mp4.  Almost my whole library is .wtv and I want to convert it.  So in order to use the video on android and xbox extenders what would be the best combination of format and container?  I want highest quality and will rip mostly dvd's but sometimes blu-ray.  I also have my home theater that runs off an extender and has 7.1 audio so I guess I would need to know the best audio format (acc I believe).  Thanks in advance, I know this is an old topic but I want the newest answer!

Personally I used to use wtv for everything due to extenders. Currently i use mkv with ac3 sound for the extenders and I let mb3 server transcode to the android.

Oh I forgot to add I use lav filters to allow the playback of mkv on the xbox

Edited by Tikuf

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I used Video Redo to rip some movies and all of them look "grainy" on the extender as well as on the computer.  Am I doing something wrong?  What are you using to make the MKV.  I did H.264 MKV if that matters.

all4dom

Video redo is good for editing the commercials if your editing something recorded, make sure u save it to mpeg/h264. You then can use handbrake, which is free to encode your media. Dvdfab is a great program also, but it does cost.

Can you post media info Open in video redo and select tools/show video program info.

I will give you some settings for vrd to test (if that doesn't work i will give you an ffmpeg c/l to run)

File:                                     Name : J:\Movies\Mud (2012)\Mud (2012).mkv

Size : 4.521 GB

Duration : 02:10:41.03

Mux type : MKV

Video:                                Encoding : H.264

VideoStreamID : x201

Frame rate : 29.97 fps

Encoding size : 720 x 480

Aspect ratio : 16:9

Header bit rate : 5.000 Mbps

VBV buffer : 610 KBytes

Profile : Main/3.1

Progressive : Interlaced

Chroma : 4:2:0

Entropy mode : CABAC

Bit rate : 3.568 Mbps

Captioning : EIA 608/708

Audio Stream: 1 (Primary)                Codec : AC3

Format : AC3 stream

Channels : 5.1

Language : eng

PID : x202

PES Stream Id : xBD

Bit rate : 448 Kbps

Sampling rate : 48000

Sample size : 16 bits

Audio Stream: 2                          Codec : AC3

Format : AC3 stream

Channels : 5.1

Language : eng

PID : x203

PES Stream Id : xBD

Bit rate : 448 Kbps

Sampling rate : 48000

Sample size : 16 bits

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else that can weigh in here?  I have been unsuccessful in creating video files that are acceptable in .mkv or .m2ts.  I don't care about large video file size.  Maybe I don't have the video card for it?  How are you doing subtitles?  I just want the "forced ones" like when a character is speaking in a foreign language....no matter how I rip them, I don't get these.

Edited by Bert

JeremyFr79

Well it looks like your video is at 720x480 which is standard definition, I see it's also interlaced DVDs are progressive so you'll wan to fix that, extenders don't like subtitles unfortunately so you're out of luck there.  The graniness is probably due to the fact that it's SD content no way around that.

Hi Bert,  VRD is very good for removing TV commercials as all4dom says but not so much for encoding. I personally use MeGui to encode my stuff and its very good - extremely configurable and reliable. It uses x264 and has lots of presets so you don't need a  great deal of technical know-how.

Thanks I'll try MeGui.... Funny, I never used VRD for commercial removal save one or two times, it creates perfect. Wtv files though

@@Bert I assume your goal here is maximum compatibility with android/other mb3 clients.  With that in mind mkv is probably the best container for you most of the clients now look at what's inside rather than what the container is.

So I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you want to keep all audio tracks or just 1?

Do you just want to re contain the file say from wtv to mkv?

If you want to specifically use mp4 rather than mkv do you want to keep 5.1 (or other configuration ) of audio?

Are all the files the same ie do they each have 3 tracks video+ audio+audio or do some have subtitles ?

If they have subtitles what format are they in?

Do you have video redo ?

Do you have Vap (video redo auto processor available on the vrd forums)?

Does the task need to be an automated thing or are you going to run it as a one off?

I need some specifics so i can give you some ideas.

If android's most compatible type is mp4, I'd suggest that would probably do the best for compatibility even over mkv. I'm not sure what the most compatible type is for iOS, but I would assume it is also mp4. Same with Roku, mp4 is the most compatible. Now most of these clients look at what is inside the container but assuming they match up, that file type will probably get you the best results across every platform. 

Ya quite right Grant mp4 h264/aac would be most compatible but mkv would be best if he wants to keep the ac3 ( wmc mainly extenders hate mp4/ac3 5.1 ac3 2chan is fine tho)

Do you want to keep all audio tracks or just 1?  Just English

Do you just want to re contain the file say from wtv to mkv? yes mkv or mp4, something that anything can play

If you want to specifically use mp4 rather than mkv do you want to keep 5.1 (or other configuration ) of audio? 5.1 or dolby digital, I have a new yamaha 7.1 system that is powered by an xbox (of which there are three)

Are all the files the same ie do they each have 3 tracks video+ audio+audio or do some have subtitles ?  Most of my current files are .wtv, which works well inside my media center, but trying to make the files more MAC and android friendly

If they have subtitles what format are they in? they don't (I don't think) and I don't want them, other than foreign speakers in an english movie, which is impossible to do on an extender (if I am reading correctly, so that's a no go)

Do you have video redo ?  Yes

Do you have Vap (video redo auto processor available on the vrd forums)? Not currently, but I did play with it a while back

Does the task need to be an automated thing or are you going to run it as a one off? I can do it

The files I can produce in mkv seem to be linear, meaning you can see horizontal and vertical lines of resolution.  I don't really know how else to describe it.  I get, they are SD and I am looking for something that can now handle dvd and blu-ray rips in a somewhat simple process.  The mkv's look awful compared to the wtv and I can't really figure out why.

Thanks for your help

EDIT:  Did try the MEGUI (one click encoder) to produce an mkv, much better than the videoredo ones but still blotchy, going to try to up the quality

Edited by Bert

The files I can produce in mkv seem to be linear, meaning you can see horizontal and vertical lines of resolution

Most likely needs to be deinterlaced

Based on your media info you posted before try this commandline

ffmpeg -i file:"your_input.wtv" -map_metadata -1 -force_key_frames expr:if(isnan(prev_forced_t),gte(t,.1),gte(t,prev_forced_t+5)) -vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -threads 0 -crf 18 -profile:v high -level 4.0 -maxrate 5000000 -minrate 4000000 -bufsize 4000000 -vf  "yadif=0:-1:0, scale=trunc(iw/2)*2:trunc(ih/2)*2" -vsync vfr -strict experimental -c:a aac -b:a 448000 -ac 6 -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng  -af "aresample=async=1000" "your_output.mkv"

A couple of little things.

1. This should deinterlace if it is required. But i don't have any interlaced content to test it on LMK if it doesn't work for you

2. If you only want 2 channels  change "-ac 6" to "-ac 2"

3. If you want mp4 rather than mkv just change the your_output.mkv to your_output.mp4

4. if you find the file size is too big for you adjust

-maxrate 5000000 -minrate 4000000 -bufsize 4000000

to say

-maxrate 3200000 -minrate 2500000 -bufsize 2500000

That should still give you a very good quality video.

If you want a little automation let me know I have some small programs written to do just that.

Give me a shout if you run into issues

Uh....ok  :unsure:.  I am "familiar with" the command line.  I assume I want to replace "your_input.wtv" and "your_output.mkv".  Would you mind explaining what's happening here and what outcome I am looking for? I'm not even sure what program you are running here.

Hehehe ya the c/l is a bit long.

the program being used is ffmpeg (located in %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg)

Yup replace "your_input.wtv" and "your_output.mkv" with your files full path include the "

Breakdown

-map_metadata -1 

removes all existing metadata from the file

-force_key_frames expr:if(isnan(prev_forced_t),gte(t,.1),gte(t,prev_forced_t+5))

forces a key frame every 5 seconds (best for hls with a stream copy)

-vcodec libx264 -preset superfast -threads 0 -crf 18 -profile:v high -level 4.0

Selects h264 with a fast preset allowing ffmpeg to control the threads used and using a high 4.0 h264 profile

-maxrate 5000000 -minrate 4000000 -bufsize 4000000

limits the bitrate to a max of 5 MBit ish but allowing it to vary 1Mbit over 4 Mbits (ya i know lol)

-vf  "yadif=0:-1:0, scale=trunc(iw/2)*2:trunc(ih/2)*2"

applies deinterlacing if required and makes sure that the scaled sides of the video are even numbers (h264 requirement)

-vsync vfr

Uses vfr as the video sync method

-strict experimental -c:a aac -b:a 448000 -ac 6

Uses ffmpeg's aac encoder for audio with a bitrate of 448Kb with 6 channels (If 2 ch change to -ac 2)

-metadata:s:a:0 language=eng

Labels the audio track as english

-af "aresample=async=1000"

resyncs the audio to the video by stretching or compressing the audio time stamps as required it samples 1000x per second.

At the end of the process you should end up with a h264 video with aac sound either mkv or mp4 that will be the most compliant v codec/ a codec combo for mb3

• 2 years later...
Gelowitz

I am trying to stream my downloaded shows and I get a DCP unauthorized content disabled. yet it works on my lap top. does any one have a way to fix this? 

Happy2Play

I am trying to stream my downloaded shows and I get a DCP unauthorized content disabled. yet it works on my lap top. does any one have a way to fix this? 

On what client?  Only place I have seen this error talked about is for the Roku.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/5292-unofficial-roku-client-updates/page-4&do=findComment&comment=94898

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/11324-hdcp-unauthorized-content-disabled