4k HDR movie stuttering and buffering?

KgT21
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

I was on emby the other night watching a 4K HDR version of the avengers (2012) and it started stuttering and then buffering and sometimes even closed the whole video. I've never encountered this before. This was happening on direct play, I brought up stats for nerds and it said direct play and then after stuttering and buffering it went to direct stream and gave a reason of 'failed to do direct play' but then it also did the same in direct stream. Dont get this on other movies that have a lower bitrate. Can emby not handle high bitrate movies even in direct play? Or does anyone know the reasoning behind this happening. Any help is appreciated. 

Same problem here but then for my clients who also have Android TV latest Emby app. Also with 1080p movies. Local play on my server is just fine using also Android TV so it seems its only remote and it has something to do with Android? LG users have no issue at all. I have posted in the windows server topic as well

Edited by Dwarf

Hi. Can we please look at a specific example?  This sounds like the connection speed could not accommodate the bitrate.

vdatanet

More info is needed:

1. Server, local or remote?
2. Device used, some devices can't handle high bitrate content, ie Nvidia Shield 2019 Tube
3. Media Info
4. Trancoding and remuxing logs

The more information you provide, the better help you will get

sonydude

I have the same issue, file is MKV/1080P/H.264/AC-3 5.1 640kbps plays just fine in direct play, file MKV/3840X1600/H.265/AC-3 5.1 640kbps the server tries to recompress the file and says reason unknown. 

Server is locally with CAT5E Gigabit switch,  file transfer is over 100 M/bps consistent, I have the Fire TV2 (wired) and the Fire Stick 4K (wireless). Both trigger the Emby server to recompress. 

It makes me think there is something on the file? maybe the Bitrate is too high? Does anyone knows what is the highest quality of the 4K H.265 video FireTV is able to handle? I'll try to recompress the video in those specs and try again.

On 18/10/2020 at 14:56, vdatanet said:

More info is needed:

1. Server, local or remote?
2. Device used, some devices can't handle high bitrate content, ie Nvidia Shield 2019 Tube
3. Media Info
4. Trancoding and remuxing logs

The more information you provide, the better help you will get

Server is local, terramaster NAS is being used as the server

Fire stick 4K is being used to watch content

Media info is...

Container = mkv

Bitrate = 57.5mbps

Codec is = hevc main 10

Audio codes is ac3 640kbps

Being direct played at full 4k resolution

I'd also like to add that I installed the Samsung tv app of emby and played the same movie and it plays fine with no trouble at all on direct play so my guess is the fire stick 4k just can't handle high bitrates at full 4k resolution maybe? As its really used for streaming things at 25-30mbps. There may well be a limit on the hardware

• Solution
vdatanet
13 minutes ago, KgT21 said:

I'd also like to add that I installed the Samsung tv app of emby and played the same movie and it plays fine with no trouble at all on direct play so my guess is the fire stick 4k just can't handle high bitrates at full 4k resolution maybe? As its really used for streaming things at 25-30mbps. There may well be a limit on the hardware

According Fire TV 4K specifications:

• H.265 (HEVC). Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Main 10 Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.
  • H.264. Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 30fps, 1080p @ 60fps, or 720p @ 60fps, 20 Mbps, High Profile up to Level 4.

So, Fire Stick TV 4K can't handle more than 35 Mbps

Edited by vdatanet

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

According Fire TV 4K specifications:

So, Fire Stick TV 4K can't handle more than 35 Mbps

Thanks for clearing it up!