jefferyrdavis

jefferyrdavis

Apter updating my QNAP NAS (TS-673) to firmware version 4.5.1.1456 the APP Center shows Emby as an unsigned app with the only option as Remove. Emby can no longer be started or stopped. Has anyone else seen this and is there a solution? I've attached an image to show the issue in the app center.

embyAppCenter.PNG

• Like 1

PaulJNodine

I also just updated QTS and after restarting I have the Emby Server icon with just remove under it. No option to shut down or start. And an error message about "no digital signature"

I have found no work around yet.  In previous versions of QTS you could just choose to ignore apps without digital signature.

If this is QNAP new policy to not allow apps without a digital signature to run on their NAS it will push Emby to add the sever to the app store or at least submit to QNAP in order to get a digital signature

Screenshot 2020-10-16 110201.png

Edited by PaulJNodine

jorr@entofga.com

Paul, I too just update my QNAP and got the same message. However, I was able to start Qboost, then click on Application Management and you should see Emby Server listed. It will be enabled, so click Enable and it will start. After starting, it will once again appear in the Main Menu and you can Open the application. I quess PLEX has paid-off QNAP in order to have their app "favored", but I use both media server platforms and emby is the only one of the two that lets me play .mkv files without issues.

• Thanks 3

PaulJNodine
11 minutes ago, jorr@entofga.com said:

Paul, I too just update my QNAP and got the same message. However, I was able to start Qboost, then click on Application Management and you should see Emby Server listed. It will be enabled, so click Enable and it will start. After starting, it will once again appear in the Main Menu and you can Open the application. I quess PLEX has paid-off QNAP in order to have their app "favored", but I use both media server platforms and emby is the only one of the two that lets me play .mkv files without issues.

Thanks Jorr.  I was looking for an option to enable app without digital signature but could not find anything.  I can now confirm that going into Qboost and clicking on the 3 dots under Top 5 applications by memory usage, finding emby and clicking start changes emby to always enabled.

Thank you very much for the assistance. I thought maybe I would have to use plex or the built in media server but no more!

Also as an aside I just noticed that emby still cannot be started or stopped from QNAP app center There is still an error message about no digital signature.  It can be restarted or shutdown from the web interface

Edited by PaulJNodine
Addes on caveat
  • Thanks 2

PaulJNodine
45 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

been reported months ago - still no progress from the devs to sort it out

What was reported months ago?  This is a new issue that just happened with QTS 4.5.1.1456 and Emby Server being unable to run because of no digital signature

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

nope - not new through the last beta cycle the lack of a signed app was raised by the NAS everytime i installed a new version manually - so the issue is oldish - as you noted above

i reported it then and a couple of time since - dont think anybody else reported it but they might have an i missed it

You are just seeing it for the first time via app center - but now it has implications beyond an annoyance - as the devs now have to fix it pronto - which i think means they have to get it into the qnap store - which is a length process and i have no idea how far along they are.

Only solution that should work is role back the firmware and wait for progress on the signing - considering it was only released in the last day and a lot of QTS get pulled within a week - this could well be a QNAP bug as from a very quick scan cant see anything in the release notes about app centre and / or unsigned apps.

Lonegroover1

FWIW Just spoke to someone at QNAP.  They didn't think it was a bug.  
However I can still connect to my Emby from remote devices and the webUI as well as playback stuff, and see a running Emby Server process so I think the app must be running after all,  it's just UI access blocked. 

This update essentially takes away your choice to install third party apps that are not on Qnap's approved list (aka trusted).

We are looking into it. As users I would definitely voice negative feedback to QNAP about this.

bug_menot
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

This update essentially takes away your choice to install third party apps that are not on Qnap's approved list (aka trusted).

We are looking into it. As users I would definitely voice negative feedback to QNAP about this.

This is nothing to voice negative to Qnap. And of course you don't have to be on a trusted list at Qnap.

You simply can provide a self signed certificate like other qpks over @ qnapclub for example.

1 minute ago, bug_menot said:

This is nothing to voice negative to Qnap. And of course you don't have to be on a trusted list at Qnap.

You simply can provide a self signed certificate like other qpks over @ qnapclub for example.

We are currently signing the package already with a certificate.

bug_menot

Well than the implementation is faulty....  the point is that the qpk doesn't have a digital signature.

If it has at least a self signed digital signature than the error wouldn't appear instead their would only come up

a popup warning about the self signing during the installation.

Edited by bug_menot

I am getting this same issue also now 'there is no digital signature'.

I went to the QBoost menu and can start and stop Emby, but this still does not allow me to access Emby.

Is this broken now?

So there is no access from the web interface to manage Emby?

Just now, xlerate said:

I am getting this same issue also now 'there is no digital signature'.

I went to the QBoost menu and can start and stop Emby, but this still does not allow me to access Emby.

Is this broken now?

So there is no access from the web interface to manage Emby?

Once you have it started, you should be able to just open up a web browser and enter the url in the browser address bar.

We are looking into this.

38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Once you have it started, you should be able to just open up a web browser and enter the url in the browser address bar.

We are looking into this.

Thanks. What is the Emby URL?

For anyone wondering, the Emby URL was my QNAP IP + PORT :8096 (e.g. 192.168.10.10:8096)

Edited by xlerate

JerryPenguin

Despite the workaround, I have now switched to the docker version and it runs without problems on my QNAP and the current firmware.

jefferyrdavis

I tried the beta version but could not install it. QNAP threw an error: 

Message: [App Center] Failed to install Emby Server. The selected installation volume is missing.

9 minutes ago, jefferyrdavis said:

I tried the beta version but could not install it. QNAP threw an error: 

Message: [App Center] Failed to install Emby Server. The selected installation volume is missing.

Ok thanks for trying.