Roku App Improvement

Jcheinaman

Jcheinaman

This is a request, but not really a feature. Not sure where else to put it. I’m a long time plex user and I intend to stick with and become an EMBY premiere member. 

I noticed that the EMBY app on Roku is severely behind and not in sync with the app on my latest Samsung 4K tv. For instance, it is slow, laggy and not very user friendly. The drop down menu for file versions does not always register when trying to change versions. Opening files seem to take a while. I think you get the idea here. 

the experience on my Samsung EMBY app is much improved over the Roku option. I know Plex recently brought all of their apps in line with each other. Same layout and design. 

is this something that the EMBY team is currently working on? Or something that you plan on working on in the near future?

thnaks!!

• Like 1

skidmarks
9 hours ago, Jcheinaman said:

The drop down menu for file versions does not always register when trying to change versions.

I can tell you that this has been pointed out and is being resolved shortly by the guys.  There are places where the roku app is behind the others.  But as things are requested, or pointed out as being different, they usually resolve these issues quickly.

Folks in my circle find roku as their go to over other options.  For ease of use.

Jcheinaman
2 hours ago, skidmarks said:

I can tell you that this has been pointed out and is being resolved shortly by the guys.  There are places where the roku app is behind the others.  But as things are requested, or pointed out as being different, they usually resolve these issues quickly.

Folks in my circle find roku as their go to over other options.  For ease of use.

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate that. I really like EMBY over plex for many reasons. The developers appear to actually care about their user base and openly communicate about requests and issues. I also enjoy many other aspects. Like being able to edit metadata for cast members. Just an example. Especially with thetvdb and their weird idea of including cartoon images as the cast member..why would they even do that lol. I want the cast member, not the picture of one of their characters. I don’t understand it. That’s not an EMBY issue however. I’m just glad I can change the picture or upload my own image if one isn’t available. 

about the Roku app. I need to play around with it more to be able to come up with any real ideas. I’ve mostly been playing around on my Samsung tv, which has been a very pleasant experience I might add. Originally I had a bad lag issue on the Samsung tv when scrolling the library, but that alleviated at some point when I recently reinstalled EMBY to give it a second chance. No complaints at all there. 

so far I’ve noticed three things about the Roku app that I’m not a huge fan of. The drop down or select version for linked files that has already been addressed by skidmarks, thank you for that update btw. That would also be alleviated if you consider my feature request that I posted about that. The second issue I’ve noticed is just general overall performance. When I attempt to open a movie, sometimes it just spins for 5-10 seconds before loading the information. I’m sure this can be caused by many different things, it’s just not very enjoyable when this happens. 

the other issue I’ve noticed. When you scroll onto a movie poster, it loads a preview screen at the top to give a quick overview of the movie or tv series. Synopsis and what not. I noticed that sometimes this makes things feel a little off. It slows things down and can cause confusion because it moves everything down to accommodate the overview at the top. This is not something that happens on the Samsung app. I prefer to just select the file and read the details if I’m really interested in the movie. I don’t necessarily need that pop up for everything I scroll over. Im sure some people may disagree with me and that’s totally ok  I just think this in part adds to some of the slower performance.

I know I’m not a developer, and I think you do a great job, these are only suggestions and observations. I’m aware that nothing will ever be perfect. Just notating a few of my issues and concerns in hopes of future improvement.  

I’ll update here as I have time to actually play with the Roku a little further. 

I appreciate everything that you guys do. I want to thank you for actually taking the time to take your users concerns into consideration and your willingness to openly communicate. One of the best things EMBY has over Plex. I plan on subscribing to a lifetime or yearly subscription at some point in the near future. May do yearly because it gives you guys more money to work with, not sure though yet. 

3 hours ago, Jcheinaman said:

the other issue I’ve noticed. When you scroll onto a movie poster, it loads a preview screen at the top to give a quick overview of the movie or tv series. Synopsis and what not. I noticed that sometimes this makes things feel a little off. It slows things down and can cause confusion because it moves everything down to accommodate the overview at the top.

Hi.  This is an option in the app that is off by default so you must have turned it on.  If you de-select "Show Enhanced Home Screen" in the app settings, this will go away.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Jcheinaman said:

The second issue I’ve noticed is just general overall performance. When I attempt to open a movie, sometimes it just spins for 5-10 seconds before loading the information.

What Roku device do you have?  Some of them are definitely slower than others but I'm also sure that we can try to improve this response in most cases.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jcheinaman
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

What Roku device do you have?  Some of them are definitely slower than others but I'm also sure that we can try to improve this response in most cases.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you. To be honest I don’t remember changing the setting, but I probably did. I didn’t even think to look in there. I

this did resolve that though. Thanks

sross44
16 hours ago, Jcheinaman said:

I know Plex recently brought all of their apps in line with each other. Same layout and design. 

is this something that the EMBY team is currently working on? Or something that you plan on working on in the near future?

This right here is one of the biggest things I can stress. From a usability standpoint, branding standpoint and marketing standpoint it absolutely makes the most sense. A uniform layout and design across platforms. I know it takes a long time to get there and that it takes a lot of resources. The folks here at Emby do a kick ass job of listening to us, bringing out new features and more.... so I know Emby will just continue to get better and better 

• Like 1

Yes we are working hard on making all of our apps consistent with each other. Please feel free to create topics of discrepancies that you're still able to find. Thanks.

sross44
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes we are working hard on making all of our apps consistent with each other. Please feel free to create topics of discrepancies that you're still able to find. Thanks.

Awesome to hear! Safe to assume the Apple TV app will continue to look different based off their setup? Just curious on that one! Thanks