Select movie version when playing a movie with multiple linked versions. Such as 1080p and 2160p. Automate it and get rid of the drop down menu.

Jcheinaman

Jcheinaman

Ok, so..basically. If I have a copy of a movie in both 1080p as well as 2160p and the versions are linked together, I would like for there to be a pop up to ask which version to play when selecting the play button. I feel that this would help deal with multiple possible issues when EMBY doesn’t select the proper file by default. Especially 4K movies over remote connection. I have EMBY trying to play 4K HDR movies on my 1080p non HDR tv. I also have it selecting 1080p version when watching on my 4K HDR tv. It only happens on occasion, but it is rather annoying. Especially for those who are less tech savvy and don’t realize that they need to make a change before playing the movie. 

This way the file can be chosen every time and you won’t accidentally play a 4K HDR movie on a 1080p tv. You would also know to select 1080p instead of 4K when remote streaming. Especially if the movie needs to be transcoded for any reason due to tone mapping. 

This would also give you the ability to remove the drop down menu to select version before playing the movie. Make it automated. Press play, pop up..Select version 1080p or 2160p. 

hopefully you get the idea. I really hope that this is something that you will be able to implement. It sounds like it should be fairly easy to accomplish. 

thank you!!

Edited by Jcheinaman
Clarification

Hi, people tend to react harshly to things that add extra steps to playing. Thanks for the feedback.

Jcheinaman
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, people tend to react harshly to things that add extra steps to playing. Thanks for the feedback.

I understand your concern here. However, I feel that the current solution makes the experience more cumbersome. If EMBY could perfectly choose which file to play every time based on the tv type. That would be ideal. Unfortunately we don’t live in an ideal world and nothing is perfect. My 1080p tv can direct play 4K files just fine, but the issue lies in tone mapping. It’s not HDR and the colors will be washed out. I’d say it chooses the correct file about 80% of the time. It would just be easier to not forget to check and have to manually select which file to play. Especially for family members. Tell them only play 1080p files. They don’t have to go looking for a drop down. They just select that when they choose to play the file. This would only affect people that have their 4K and 1080p libraries linked together. Or people that choose to have multiple different movie versions, such as a directors cut and a theatrical release. Which is a solution that I find would work best. If it weren’t for the version issues between the different tv types. This will literally be a step in the right direction in my opinion. It would allow people to merge their libraries together and not have to worry about searching both a 1080p and a 4K library, or have multiple posters of the same movie. One for 1080 and one for 2160. Either way, there is still that extra step to remember before playing a movie. And I don’t always remember to check that myself. This way, it takes the hassle to remember away. 

just an opinion and I really hope you would consider adding this as a feature. I think it would be liked more than not. Then again, that’s also just my opinion. 

Edited by Jcheinaman

Jcheinaman
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Maybe add this as an option in the settings instead? That may be a little more difficult to implement instead of making the change and force it. Either way I believe personally this is a better option. For me at least.  

Deathsquirrel

This is almost certainly not going to happen.  The system should be choosing the best format possible for playback automatically based on the connection speed and playback device.  If it's not I suggest reporting an issue so they can improve that function.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure, there is always the drop-down menu and on the local network it plays me by default the film in alphabetical order. Ex 1080 instead of 4K