SOLVED - Currently Unavailable

adrianwi

adrianwi

I picked up a Fire HD 8 Fire TV on Prime Day but when I try to install the Emby for Fire TV app I'm getting a "CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE" message.

Is there another way to install?

Sorry, it's a Fire HD 8 not a Fire TV!

Edited by adrianwi

adrianwi

If I go into the Appstore and search for 'emby' the 4 results found are:

• Jellyfin
  • MrMC Lite
  • HDHomeRun
  • MrMC

If I go to the emby.media web page and click the store link from there, that's where I see the unavailable message.  I've downloaded both the amazon and google apk files but can't get either to work.  The Amazon one won't even open but the Google one does and lets me login but won't display the home page.

I've not used one of these before, so could be doing something wrong, but I expected it to be pretty straight forward 😉

adrianwi

I've managed to get it working, but I kind of expected it to be a little more straight forward!

I followed this guide - https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/03/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/ - to install the Google Play Store on the Fire HD 8 (10 Gen) and then used the Google Play Store to install Emby for Android, which seems to work fine from the quick test I've done.

It would be good to get it as a download from the Amazon Appstore?

1 hour ago, adrianwi said:

It would be good to get it as a download from the Amazon Appstore?

Yes it would. If you search the community and check out the older topics about it, you'll see the issues that we've run into. Thanks.

adrianwi

So what's been done to resolve the issues?  From what I can see, most of those topics date back a few years.  And why not have a little more information on the website to say what devices are supported, rather than expecting users to have to dig out the information from the forum?  I suspect most new users would just give up.

We don't currently have an app in the amazon mobile store. Does the website need to say that? In the same sense, we also don't have a Vizio app either.

adrianwi

It might be helpful for users if it stated which devices are supported within each of the sections, or even a Unsupported section where people might expect to find a device supported.

It might also help if your responses weren't always so defensive, but I suspect neither will change.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

adrianwi

If you bought an Amazon Fire HD and visited the emby.media website, would it be fair to assume, what with both Amazon Fire TV and Android listed, that my device would be "supported"?

Turns out it isn't "supported" (for reasons still unclear, even after asking what is being done to resolve the issue) but can be made to work without too much effort if you know where to look.

I'd stick to the system architecture as clearly customer support isn't really your forte.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, adrianwi said:

If you bought an Amazon Fire HD and visited the emby.media website, would it be fair to assume, what with both Amazon Fire TV and Android listed, that my device would be "supported"?

Hi.  I guess Amazon's branding choices here make this confusing but a Fire HD is a tablet (mobile device) and a Fire TV is a TV box.  Unfortunately, the fact that we are not in the mobile Amazon store is completely out of our control but you may be able to help by asking Amazon yourself why you couldn't find our app there.

Thanks.

adrianwi

You're still not really explaining why you can't download the emby app from the Amazon Appstore on the Fire HD.  Why this completely out of your control?  Surely developers submit their apps and they are either added or rejected with some rationale provided?

adrianwi

Good stuff!  Hopefully someone who picked one of these up cheap on Prime Day can be bothered to look when they can't install emby.

Is this one of those topics? 

I think it's one for the 'must try harder' pile 🤨

Edited by adrianwi

16 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Good stuff!  Hopefully someone who picked one of these up cheap on Prime Day can be bothered to look when they can't install emby.

Is this one of those topics? 

I think it's one for the 'must try harder' pile 🤨

Hi.  Did you complain to Amazon about us not being there?  If so, I'm interested in what they told  you.

adrianwi

Why would I complain to Amazon when you haven't provided any details as to why you're not there?

On 10/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, ebr said:

Unfortunately, the fact that we are not in the mobile Amazon store is completely out of our control but you may be able to help by asking Amazon yourself why you couldn't find our app there.

Thanks.

I apologize for the frustration. We're doing the best that we can with the cards that Amazon has dealt us.