Moving emby to secondary drive

denywinarto

denywinarto

Hi, after some painful BSOD's i'd like to create a golden OS image where the content is static, and it must not have any app with growing content,

so i have to move emby to my second disk

Other than moving 

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server

and relocating shortcuts

Is there anything else needs to be done? What about registry>?

Hi,

How big is your system file wise (media)?
If it not too big you might be best off starting clean using the Portable version which will let you run it from any drive.

• Like 1

denywinarto
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi,

How big is your system file wise (media)?
If it not too big you might be best off starting clean using the Portable version which will let you run it from any drive.

I'm afraid its huge, it's over 200tb, so there is no way to use the old database on the portable version?

"Huge", I won't call it small but it's a decent size system (ignore my humor by I'm pushing a petabyte of LOCAL media so everything is small to me) :)
Kidding aside that a pretty large system which would take a lot of scanning over days if you reinstalled so let's not go there.

I see you're running Windows and will continue to run windows correct just on a different drive for Emby?
Do you have Emby Premiere?

Would you be interested in a few  remote sessions to help you with this?  I say "few" because it will take some time between phases so no sense doing a remote while copy or move operations are taking place.  But would you like help with this or just text based instructional help of what to do?

denywinarto
23 minutes ago, cayars said:

"Huge", I won't call it small but it's a decent size system (ignore my humor by I'm pushing a petabyte of LOCAL media so everything is small to me) :)
Kidding aside that a pretty large system which would take a lot of scanning over days if you reinstalled so let's not go there.

I see you're running Windows and will continue to run windows correct just on a different drive for Emby?
Do you have Emby Premiere?

Would you be interested in a few  remote sessions to help you with this?  I say "few" because it will take some time between phases so no sense doing a remote while copy or move operations are taking place.  But would you like help with this or just text based instructional help of what to do?

Yeah i have emby premiere, i PM'ed you. I dont mind text based as long as it works

denywinarto

Okay i have installed the portable version, and in process of copying the folders i mentioned.

Takes a while cause its alot of files

Could post the general idea here? Might help someone else too rather than remote session

denywinarto

Okay i replaced everything inside  Emby > Program Data

And i put the following 3 folders 

Emby-cache

Emby-Install Logs

Emby-Metadata

Outside the Emby folder, so

Emby-cache

Emby-Install Logs

Emby-Metadata

Emby > Program Data

But opening emby on client still gives me blank colorful posters.

Any idea why?

@cayars

Really it's just a matter of copying all the key folders from your old location to the new location and it sounds like you're already doing this.

Check out this Knowledge Base article on Backup/Restore looking at the manual backup half way down. 
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

If you don't already use the backup now would be a good time as well. :)

Take note the PATHS that are shown on the web admin page at the bottom.  Most of these can be changed through settings as well so you can actually use different drives for different purposes.

OBVIOUSLY don't change your old/working setup until you have things working on the new drive.  This way you can't hurt things or feel rushed but can ask questions and get help if something on the new install isn't quite right after copying everything over.

denywinarto
21 hours ago, cayars said:

Really it's just a matter of copying all the key folders from your old location to the new location and it sounds like you're already doing this.

Check out this Knowledge Base article on Backup/Restore looking at the manual backup half way down. 
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

If you don't already use the backup now would be a good time as well. :)

Take note the PATHS that are shown on the web admin page at the bottom.  Most of these can be changed through settings as well so you can actually use different drives for different purposes.

OBVIOUSLY don't change your old/working setup until you have things working on the new drive.  This way you can't hurt things or feel rushed but can ask questions and get help if something on the new install isn't quite right after copying everything over.

Yeah the posters eventually show up.

But after new items are repopulated opening the emby webgui seems to be really-really slow.

Coming from NVME to HDD i really notice huge speed difference

But then I noticed the cache path is still on my NVME disk, is it supposed to be slow like this?

What if i use primocache or something like that?

The first time you access something that has a picture it will be loaded I assume from the HDDs and will then be put in the cache. So this will only be as fast as the drive the data is stored on until it's cached.

If you scroll through say the first 1000 movies in your library (letting all posters load), exit then go back and do this again is it much faster the 2nd time or still slow?

Depending on what you're specifically doing, the system could be downloading posters and things from a meta-data provider as well.  Taking a look at the log file will help to determine this.

But using SSD vs HDD will make a difference in load times for sure!

denywinarto

I mean it's like 15-20 minutes before anything shows up..

Yeah i'm coming from nvme so i know the speed difference, but high write apps were killing my OS drive. 

I got 2 samsung 970 nvme's dying in 1.5 year , now trying intel dc4511's which is supposed to be enterprise nvme.

But last week i got BSOD's, and it went down from 100% to 99% in 76 days! it says i have 64TB of data written already in that period

I'm still unsure which one is the culprit, sonarr, radarr, or emby. 

But after that BSOD's i'd rather have my OS drive separated from any apps with dynamic content.

I just moved the emby folder to intel ssd and the speed seem to have improved. Will see if its enough for multiple clients.

If not probably gonna try ramdisk

Thanks for the help

I've had really good luck with Samsung SSDs but don't use nvme types as I don't think they last nearly as well.

You don't really need high speed drives for sonarr, radarr and similar programs so you could have them use conventional HDDs and remove a lot of wear and tear on your SSDs as well.

Keep us updated on your progress!