4.6.x and transcoding - DS2415+ starts sweating

SwanStream

SwanStream

So,... not much experience with the whole transcoding world here in Emby, but...

It seems to be pegging the server CPU usage at 99% in a test. And I do mean peg. Stopping play and going back to the main menu leaves the server sweating at 99... till I reboot. That's speculation. Not a heavy Linux user, so... resource monitor is my only friend☹️

Testing remote access and converting a 4k HEVC HDR10 23.8Mb/s 4:2:0 10bit bt.2020 using "auto" on an Amazon fireTV client. Info tells me the client has decided on 1mb as the quality.

No idea if this Synology box has the horsepower to transcode dis to dat... it's a busy box, 24 drives, 200TB in a couple SHR2 storage pools, 16gt ram, 4way bonded 1000Mbps ethernets... and so much more... It idles at about 10-15% CPU and RAM. Log center is useless, therefore so am I. 

Transcode log attached. It'd be nice if I can get this moving like a greased pig, but I can handbrake the ____ out of it if I must due to 'limitations'.

ffmpeg-transcode-9034f00d-a078-4c19-b9a6-3d583a92ed43_1.txt

• 3 weeks later...
SwanStream

Ha! Me stupid, sorry. No it's not playing well. LONNNGGGGG pauses as it does its thing. In this example it'll play maybe the first 10-20 sec. then take a break for a few minutes, then maybe play a few more seconds before the long pause.  I'm hoping to get it more reliably working so me ol'Ma can watch shows via internet without thinking she's stroking out every few minutes.... Any suggestions on transcode settings to make it more gooder?

If you have Emby Premiere, then your server can use hardware accelerated transcoding which can help improve performance.

So I would suggest that, but also, more than anything I would look for ways to avoid the transcoding altogether rather than trying to make it faster. For example in the log you provided, you were using the windows app from inside the local network. It was transcoding because you appear to have lowered the in-app quality setting, so that makes the server transcode to reduce the bitrate. Try setting the quality either back to auto or a high value, and then you might avoid the transcoding altogether.

vdatanet

Your NAS is not powerful enough. Rather, the ATOM processor is powerful enough. IMO, you don't want to transcode 4k HEVC HDR10. In case you had a powerful enough processor, the colors would be washed out by losing the HDR. Perhaps with hardware transcoding it would be better, but the washed colors would not be solved. That type of content should be played directly or at most, direct streaming.

SwanStream

Well I am a Premiere lifer, so that's setup and set. the results unfortunately are as stated above. The test log is from my local, but it's based on what was the Emby FireTV was doing while set to Auto streaming over the internet... across the driveway to our 2nd unit... I lowered the pc's bitrate to match what the fireTV was doing on auto so I could do local testing. 

Not too concerned about color saturations being on point, just watchable. Since the remote location only has 1080p display, I'm limited to requiring a transcode regardless, so while I understand and agree with avoiding it entirely the situation does seem to need it. As time goes by the 80+ year old eyes won't warrant a 4k display from the enjoyment standpoint, so this issue will only get more common for me as my library shifts from older encodes to newer 4kHDR.

Our available internet options have pretty low upload limits at about 5Mbps, so just from that perspective it's not even really about the 4k vs 1080p which I think the fireTV can convert reasonably well locally, its all about that bitrate.

Not solved, but I suppose answered. Cheers.

Have you checked out our convert media feature? This allows you to create converted versions ahead of time at smaller bitrates, as a way of helping to avoid transcoding altogether.

SwanStream

No, I haven't. To be honest I saw the convert option on the left of the management screen, poked my head in there, but didn't see any way to "do" a conversion or any instructions and wandered off unsatisfied, but too lazy to look up any how to docs... Now I see it as an option within the player interface rather than server... (I use Kodi w/emby addon for local playback as I find the Emby screens pretty slow given my large library, especially on initial entry. Often takes me 2-5 minutes for anything to showup, or I just get a blank screen... but that's a different issue). 

Good pointer, Thanks. I'll give it a try.