AMD GPU not showing up as transcoding option

ProAce
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

There are different "lines" of AMDGPU drivers. It's not that one would fit all and afaik, these cannot co-exist. Further, I'm not sure whether redistribution of these drivers is actually allowed.

But we should wait until our Linux expert is back from vacation.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, softworkz said:

There are different "lines" of AMDGPU drivers. It's not that one would fit all and afaik, these cannot co-exist. Further, I'm not sure whether redistribution of these drivers is actually allowed.

Exactly but all the newer GPU's including the iGPU's that most people want to use would be supported... and also Emby would then officially be one of the first that supports the "newer" AMD GPU's.

Even if it's not allowed to include the AMDGPU drivers the new Mesa drivers also support h265 on AMD platforms.

14 minutes ago, softworkz said:

But we should wait until our Linux expert is back from vacation.

No problem. :)

veehexx1

just been battling this myself on an AMD Athlon 3000G. while i was hugely surprised it could drop 4k@24fps 31.6mbit video to 1080/720 realtime, OOB i couldnt get hw transcoding working. I am on Fedora33 Server (using Podman containers) which AMD lock out and block from installing the official drivers on.

that said on the host, it shows lsmod with 'amdgpu' module loaded which is included in kernel, vainfo is happy vaapi works, but i just couldnt get GPU transcoding working within the emby container as per OP.

container that gudszent linked to worked - a simple imagename swap in my podman create/run command. as you'd expect, system cpu load from 6.x & 100% core load, down to 0.7 and 15-20% core load.

my only comment to @gudszent is to keep things clean by using the official emby image rather than the linuxserver.io, not that i have LSIO container issues (i use a fair few of theirs already) but just that "known state" to help the devs here.

gudszent
On 2/27/2021 at 2:50 PM, veehexx1 said:

just been battling this myself on an AMD Athlon 3000G. while i was hugely surprised it could drop 4k@24fps 31.6mbit video to 1080/720 realtime, OOB i couldnt get hw transcoding working. I am on Fedora33 Server (using Podman containers) which AMD lock out and block from installing the official drivers on.

that said on the host, it shows lsmod with 'amdgpu' module loaded which is included in kernel, vainfo is happy vaapi works, but i just couldnt get GPU transcoding working within the emby container as per OP.

container that gudszent linked to worked - a simple imagename swap in my podman create/run command. as you'd expect, system cpu load from 6.x & 100% core load, down to 0.7 and 15-20% core load.

my only comment to @gudszent is to keep things clean by using the official emby image rather than the linuxserver.io, not that i have LSIO container issues (i use a fair few of theirs already) but just that "known state" to help the devs here.

The official emby dockerfile not available to me(simple user), so I had to find alternate source. I like to know, what is in the container.

22 hours ago, gudszent said:

The official emby dockerfile not available to me(simple user), so I had to find alternate source. I like to know, what is in the container.

Hi, why is it not available to you?

gudszent
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, why is it not available to you?

What I found dockerfile: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Build/blob/master/docker-containers/stable/Dockerfile based on emby/emby-base:x86_64 image. When I try to build, that image not available, maybe private repo.

"

pull access denied for emby/emby-base, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied

"

If I miss something, sorry for it...

2 minutes ago, gudszent said:

What I found dockerfile: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Build/blob/master/docker-containers/stable/Dockerfile based on emby/emby-base:x86_64 image. When I try to build, that image not available, maybe private repo.

"

pull access denied for emby/emby-base, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied

"

If I miss something, sorry for it...

Can you instead try the Docker instructions on our website?

https://emby.media/docker-server.html

gudszent
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you instead try the Docker instructions on our website?

https://emby.media/docker-server.html

I'm sorry, but I dont understand.  I have a working image to use the HW accelerator on ryzen3xxxg. veehexx1 ask, why not use your version of docker img and for that my answer was, because your build files not available for me.