Public Open Port MB3 Server Access

johnchimpo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

johnchimpo

that can pretty much be done now. just give the accounts passwords and use the auto-login features that most of the clients have. if a new external connection comes in from the outside, they'll be forced to enter a password.

Oh that would work, however we both use the HTPC with MBC (and that is our most used device) and the Roku so auto-login would be quite a hinderance there.

johnchimpo

I would like to open up the port on my router to enable webstreaming to computers external to my network. I currently have two users that are not password protected, which access locally via iPad, Roku, HTPC, and web over local ip. Would like to change the server access to my DynDns link and forward the port on my router but have obvious security concerns.

Because there are no security concerns with local access I would like to require a password ONLY if the request originates from an external IP address. I guess it would also work if ANY webclient request required a password. Essentially I just don't want myself or the significant other to have to put in the password each time we access by iPad, Roku, or HTPC, but still want to be able to open up for external viewing (for when at work or on vacation, etc.). Would also be creating a guest account that always required a password and was not publicly visible.

Is this possible? 

I found the Login changes topic but considering the age and content I wasn't sure if it is the same.

• Solution

that can pretty much be done now. just give the accounts passwords and use the auto-login features that most of the clients have. if a new external connection comes in from the outside, they'll be forced to enter a password.

• Like 1

Tharnax

Roku doesn't have that issue, it will remember the last user who logged in and use that ID and password.  I believe correctly, things might have changed, HTPC with MBC does require you to enter the password each time but given that's your only one that requires manual entry it's not so bad.

johnchimpo

Roku doesn't have that issue, it will remember the last user who logged in and use that ID and password.  I believe correctly, things might have changed, HTPC with MBC does require you to enter the password each time but given that's your only one that requires manual entry it's not so bad.

Well I guess we can just mark this solved for the time being. Not exactly how I'd prefer it, but I'll just add the external IP detection as a feature request. 

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses.