Upgraded Ubuntu 18.04 -> 20.04, weird permission change

isamudaison

isamudaison

This is more of a heads up for any others than might run into this behavior... I recently ran into a weird issue when upgrading from Ubuntu 18LTS to 20 LTS (via the auto upgrade). I run Emby via the official docker container and it works great, even with Intel VAAPI HWA transcoding. However, after the upgrade, I noticed that transcoding was all software based (!). After digging around, I determined that the group ID for `render` had changed! It went from 131 to 133. I know this because my /dev/dri/renderD128 permissions was still set to 'render', but my GID_LIST env param for the container had 131 instead of the 'new' 133 value. Very, very odd. Moving the gidlist value to 133 corrected the problem, but I'm still scratching my head as to how (or even if) this was allowed to happen. Anyone else run into this?

Hi, I haven't heard of this before, but I've sent this to our package developer so that he can respond with any insight or experience that he might have. Thanks.

alucryd

Hi there, unfortunately that's just Ubuntu being Ubuntu, they shouldn't change system GIDs like that. Thanks for the heads up, if we see similar reports we'll be able to direct them to the solution!