Commercial Removal

sross44

sross44

This may have been asked and answered, but I can't seem to find it. Is there a way with Post Processing to not remove commercials, but mark them for skipping? So this way if something is accidentally deleted then you can rewind etc? 

I'm new to all of this and am completely lost. So any help/suggestions would be great. Even a walkthrough on how to set up just deleting the commercials would be great, but I seem to have a better feel for that one so far. 

Thanks in advance all! 

Not easily no.  The only way I can think of doing this would be to use something like comskip to analyze the video then use the results to build an index/bif/chapter file vs cutting it.  This would take some customer programming (maybe scripting) to do.  Then when watching the video you would skip to the next chapter.

It's going to depend on the channel and your settings.  There are lots of "clues" that can be used by comskip, such as changes in captioning, changes in audio, fade to black., channel logos, etc

You can have great results on some channels and awful results on other channels so it's important to test on channels you plan on using (ie CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc).  Comskip only analyzes the files but does no cutting of commercials itself.  That needs to be done in another program.

MCEBuddy automagically does this. Just set it to mark the commercials as chapters, run chapter image extraction in Emby and skip through them while watching.

• Like 2

sross44

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Setup MCEBuddy today and we'll see how it works. As much as I like Emby over Plex, this is one feature that I will say Plex wins hands down on. Their comskip integration for marking commercials for skipping is pretty sweet. Maybe it's something we see down the road with Emby or not, but I will say that it's a sweet feature regardless. 

• Like 1

Agree it's a nice feature to have built in but one nice thing doing it separate is the control you have.  You can now use different techniques for analysis via comskip if needed. MCEBuddy can also be ran on a networked computer if you don't want to use resources on your server.

sross44

Yeah I agree there's benefit to having the control. So maybe an option to have it run natively and then an option to have it full on control like now. Just my thoughts.... The reason Plex appeals to the masses is that it's easy to use from install. Emby is easy to use as well but some of the options aren't as straight forward. It's nice to have the control (which I think is one of the reasons we all came to Emby vs. Plex) but it's also nice to have things "just work" too. Hope that makes some semblance of sense. I'm just looking at it as more of a "what works for most" approach and then let power users who want to edit things be able to do that. 

If it were built in with an option to use or not, then anyone wanting to use something like MCEBuddy could. Best of both worlds.

But MCEBuddy is only on Windows if I remember correctly so being built in would work hopefully on all platforms or at least those that Comskip runs on.

sross44

Exactly my thinking. I think that little things like that will make so many people jump from Plex to Emby full time. The usability right off the bat with the power features that Emby offers for those of us that want to use them. Just my opinions obviously.... but from a growth standpoint makes a lot of sense! 

• Like 1

jad3675

It's not terribly difficult to setup a post-process script to convert a .ts into a .mkv and run comchap against it. mcebuddy and plex both use comskip.

John

sross44
22 hours ago, jad3675 said:

It's not terribly difficult to setup a post-process script to convert a .ts into a .mkv and run comchap against it. mcebuddy and plex both use comskip.

John

Wish I knew exactly how to do that lol. It would make my life a lot easier right now haha. 

• Like 1

jad3675
58 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Wish I knew exactly how to do that lol. It would make my life a lot easier right now haha. 

This thread has some nice details if you're on linux - ffmpeg and comcut/comchap required. MCEbuddy is a better bet if you're on Windows.

sross44

Yeah I'm on Windows. I'm utilizing MCEbuddy.... one of the things that kills me though is there's no great ways to organize the files after. So they just dump back in to a general folder. Unless you have a conversion set up for each folder/show etc. Kind of a pain in the a**

• Like 1

jad3675
25 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Yeah I'm on Windows. I'm utilizing MCEbuddy.... one of the things that kills me though is there's no great ways to organize the files after. So they just dump back in to a general folder. Unless you have a conversion set up for each folder/show etc. Kind of a pain in the a**

jasonmcroy

@sross44 - I use MCEBuddy as well and there is a way to have it move the recordings to it's own folder. For example, you process the tv show Walking Dead and have MCEBuddy dump it into your already existing folder for that show or create it newly if it doesn't already exist. You just have to tell MCEBuddy how you want it all named ahead of time. Like I have mine set up to go into "The Walking Dead (2010)/Season 05/The Walking Dead - S05E10 - Them". 

I can post a screen shot later and walk you through it if you need that. MCEBuddy is a pretty powerful little program with a lot of options and it's easy to miss some of them.

• Like 1

sross44
2 minutes ago, jasonmcroy said:

@sross44 - I use MCEBuddy as well and there is a way to have it move the recordings to it's own folder. For example, you process the tv show Walking Dead and have MCEBuddy dump it into your already existing folder for that show or create it newly if it doesn't already exist. You just have to tell MCEBuddy how you want it all named ahead of time. Like I have mine set up to go into "The Walking Dead (2010)/Season 05/The Walking Dead - S05E10 - Them". 

I can post a screen shot later and walk you through it if you need that. MCEBuddy is a pretty powerful little program with a lot of options and it's easy to miss some of them.

That would be awesome. I've been trying to figure out how to have it do exactly that and I'm missing it somewhere! Thanks for the offer to help. Most appreciated. 

This forum is great. A lot of the knowledge I've gained, I've already passed on to others and love that it just keeps coming around when needed!

Edited by sross44

jasonmcroy

Here are the instructions and a screen shot of the page where I enter how I want the files named:

Open MCEBuddy. From the main interface go to Settings. On the next interface highlight whatever you created in the "Conversion Tasks" box and then hit the button underneath and to the right that says "Change". 

On the next screen that pops up select Advanced Settings. On that screen there is a section titled "Renaming and Sorting". Check the boxes you see in my uploaded image. In the blank box underneath just type in the way you want your files named and MCEBuddy will rename your files after conversion and place it in that folder.

1740277812_MCEBuddyScreenshot.thumb.PNG.ec2829d9d079077ffa966445b33b97a5.PNG

• Like 1

sross44
1 minute ago, jasonmcroy said:

Here are the instructions and a screen shot of the page where I enter how I want the files named:

Open MCEBuddy. From the main interface go to Settings. On the next interface highlight whatever you created in the "Conversion Tasks" box and then hit the button underneath and to the right that says "Change". 

On the next screen that pops up select Advanced Settings. On that screen there is a section titled "Renaming and Sorting". Check the boxes you see in my uploaded image. In the blank box underneath just type in the way you want your files named and MCEBuddy will rename your files after conversion and place it in that folder.

1740277812_MCEBuddyScreenshot.thumb.PNG.ec2829d9d079077ffa966445b33b97a5.PNG

Thank you for this! I think this may solve my wish. What I'm looking for is the following.... Have MCE buddy monitor my entire recordings folder for new recordings (so .TS files) and then put the recordings back in to the same exact folder that they were taken from. So as an example, I record multiple shows and they're in a main folder called DVR Recordings - Emby which has sub folders for each show. I want to monitor the DVR Recordings folder and have each show that MCE buddy works on, put back in to the sub folders if that makes sense. 

sross44

@jasonmcroy Thanks for your help with MCEBuddy. I'm trying to figure out how to do the naming so my shows stay in current format. Right now my current format is as follows:

DVR TV Shows - Emby\The Walking Dead World Beyond (2020)\Season 1\The Walking Dead World Beyond 2020\The Walking Dad World Beyond S01E04.ts

I want when it sees a new TS file to basically have it do this:

DVR TV Shows - Emby\The Walking Dead World Beyond (2020)\Season 1\The Walking Dead World Beyond 2020\The Walking Dad World Beyond S01E04.mkv

So far I have it written out as %showname% (%premieryear%)\%season% but I'm clearly missing the language to put in. Any help would be super appreciated. 

jasonmcroy

If you want the converted show to go back into the original folder, then leave the destination folder section blank, like this:

1968202020_MCEBuddyConvertedrecordingsscreenshot.PNG.2ea7d5c6d2bf81056fea54f8ef33bb52.PNG

Where in the screenshot mine says "D:\Converted Recordings" you leave that blank. You will get a warning pop up that tells you this will happen. 

If you go this route, you also need to go into your monitor locaction section and hightlight that one and go under Change-->Expert Settings and tick that box that says "Delete Original File". Otherswise you will end up with two copies of the recording in the same folder.

jasonmcroy

For your path you want to input %showname% (%premiereyear%)\Season %season%##\%showname%\%showname% S%season%##E%episode%##

Edited by jasonmcroy

sross44

Ahhh as simple as leaving the destination folder blank lol. I don't see a "delete original file" option under expert settings. I do see "skip copying original files" though.... am I missing it somewhere? 

Thanks again for all your help!! ****NEVERMIND I SAW IT LOL*****

Edited by sross44
  • Like 1

sross44

I’m trying to set it up with marking the commercials and chapters and then having emby scan for chapters in new media. But I’m not getting anything to show when trying to FF after a commercial appears... frustrating to say the least. But trying to make it work.