Emby & QNAP Best Practice?

xlerate

Seeking so guidance on the best practice for setting up Emby on QNAP wherein I will be able to manage media from Windows explorer.

I have setup Emby on my QNAP TS-453be in a Media share.

I have two accounts within Emby, the adminfamily account with view access.

I am trying to understand permissions in that, a Qnap 'media' share has been added, and using the admin account, I selected to update the media info where art and subtitles have been updated, some correctly and some incorrect. (One entire series, had a folder duplicated during this process, added the wrong artwork and episode/season info.)

Now, after realizing what happened and discovering the duplicated folder via browsing the volume/share through Windows explorer, I cannot copy/move/delete any of the directories that Emby modified, which is now my entire media share. Figuring that this was related to permissions (Emby does not see that admin account existing from my Windows machine) I then mapped a drive with from the same windows machine using and Admin level account on my QNAP. This account owns the volume/share so it should be able to manage the files right? Wrong to my surprise. Going a step further, I eliminate Windows credentials all together and attempt to move/copy/delete data using the QNAP file station and still cannot do anything?

Does Emby now own the data exclusively it has been given access to on my Qnap share?

If this is the case, and I have to create the same Emby admin account locally on my Windows machine, is this behavior exclusive to Emby + Qnap as opposed to Emby running on a Windows machine?

PenkethBoy

Ok its late so quick and dirty

Emby only maintains control of what the users see via emby

all file permissions are qnap controlled - windows follow along

your family members dont need access to the nas or qnap accounts to view the media via emby - emby access the data (which the qnap allows) and presents it to the client software to play etc

If you as admin want to manage files via windows then make sure you windows username and pwd match the account on the qnap so same on the qnap

and add that qnap user to the group that has access to the files to add / delete etc = does not have to be an admin etc

Edited by PenkethBoy

PaulJNodine

Im just curious why you dont have seperate non admin accounts for each of your family members including yourself. As the previous reply mentioned you dont need an admin account in order to use media folders/files.  Once the NAS is setup the admin account isnt needed for daily use.  Only when you need to update QTS or for errors that arent available to a non admin user

On 10/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, PenkethBoy said:

your family members dont need access to the nas or qnap accounts to view the media via emby - emby access the data (which the qnap allows) and presents it to the client software to play etc

If you as admin want to manage files via windows then make sure you windows username and pwd match the account on the qnap so same on the qnap

and add that qnap user to the group that has access to the files to add / delete etc = does not have to be an admin etc

Thanks for your reply...Yes. This I am aware of, the family account is setup only on emby and has no issues accessing the emby media.

To your second point, before I installed emby, that is when I just copied my media from Windows explorer over to he Qnap shares, I was able to read/write without issue using an elevated account I created in QNAP. I mapped a network drive (from windows to qnap) using that same account. Once I installed emby, and did an update to the medatdata where it goes out and grabs new cover art, and series/video info, this seemed to have locked those files where now even with that same account, I can no longer move/modify those directories. To further drive home this point... the read/write issue is ONLY limited to those folder in the share that have been updated by Emby...not the others which were not modified.

Separately, I have esxi running a 2016 domain controller/file server & a win10 pro VM.  Is it possible that I could setup my server to manage all the security permissions on the QNAP shares, this way, account creation/management can happen on my domain controller?

(My goal is to not have to create UserAccount on PC/QNAP/Emby.

1 hour ago, PaulJNodine said:

Im just curious why you dont have seperate non admin accounts for each of your family members including yourself. As the previous reply mentioned you dont need an admin account in order to use media folders/files.  Once the NAS is setup the admin account isnt needed for daily use.  Only when you need to update QTS or for errors that arent available to a non admin user

Thanks. I have one family account which is setup on emby only (not qnap) which is then used to access emby media via the households respective devices (firesticks/shield/etc.)

Edited by xlerate

PenkethBoy

i dont follow what you did as not clear but it appears you have conflicting accounts/acl's and ownership problems

these are something you need to resolve - before emby can perform correctly as it uses the permissions on the nas to try and access files - there is nothing in emby to modify permissions etc - that you have to do outside emby