Box Sets Plugin Functionality

fizzyade

fizzyade

I have my 4K and HD/SD media in different collections so that I can disable 4K access for family so that they don't end up transcoding 4K HDR movies and get wonky colours.

I've done a search for this and can't see anything mentioned, but Box sets would be useful if it had one of the 2 following options:

1.) Select which libraries should be considered for creating sets - so a list of libraries which by default defaults to everything, but allows the user to switch off specific libraries - so in my case I would deactivate 4k.

2.) The ability to create collection "sets", i.e effectively multiple collection configurations - where items could be limited to a set of groups and/or require the presence of a tag

fizzyade

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Interesting ideas.  #1 is the most realistic possibility for the future.

Thanks.

If number one could be snuck in ASAP then I'd be grateful, I go into box sets and I see duplicates where I have 4K and HD copies. (HD exists because not all my players are 4K - and when I get HDR the tone mapping is wrong), I'd be happy as a compromise to just deselect my 4K library and have boxsets as HD/SD only. (Include or Exclude doesn't make any difference, probably exclude is more logical)

I'm still having a lot of trouble with the box sets, I mentioned it's weird behaviour before, but I've just lived with it, often I find after library refreshes that some items get removed from a box set, so for example, I have jurassic park, but not all the jurassic park films are in the box set anymore, some have dropped out of it.  Same for John Wick, Indiana Jones and Jaws.  It never seems consistent to me and I've never been able to quite figure out how/when this happens.

If I refresh the box sets, stuff goes back in, but then stuff I've manually collected together ends up being split again.

Edit:

In fact, even if I manually try to add The Lost World to the Jurassic Park collection it says "Added to collection" but when I go into the collection it's not there.

Edit II: The Saga Continues

I just nuked the collections folder, and hit refresh in box sets again.  Same result, Jaws is missing all the sequels (although I have 2 copies of jaws, one 4K and one HD as per my original request).  Jurassic Park is missing part 2 and 3, both have the correct tmdb id.

Edited by fizzyade

I'm trying to understand what you would gain from this.  If you have the 4K movies in a 4K library that the user doesn't have access to then they won't see any 4K media that's included in a collection.

The only thing I could see gained from this is if you had Back to the Future in 4K and Back to the Future II in Movies.  You could get a box set having 2 movies in it that the user only see's one entry, but that movie is still part of the box set just as if you had set the number of movies needed for a box set to 1.

fizzyade
30 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm trying to understand what you would gain from this.  If you have the 4K movies in a 4K library that the user doesn't have access to then they won't see any 4K media that's included in a collection.

The only thing I could see gained from this is if you had Back to the Future in 4K and Back to the Future II in Movies.  You could get a box set having 2 movies in it that the user only see's one entry, but that movie is still part of the box set just as if you had set the number of movies needed for a box set to 1.

That's a bit of a rouse, I suffer from HE so bear with me.  The issue for me is where I do have 4k enabled, in which case I see movies "duplicated" in collections where I have 4K and HD versions, the duplication exists in this scenario and not the other one I mentioned.

fizzyade

@ebrno matter what I do, I cannot get auto box sets to work properly.  I can't see anything obvious in the logs either, I've tried deleting the collections, removing the plugin, reinstalling the plugin but it steadfastly refuses to put the lost world and jurassic park 3 in with the other jurassic park films.  For both the lost world and jurassic park 3 movies the collection id is set correctly and matches that of the movies that are part of the collection.

Furthermore, trying to manually add the movie to the collection doesn't work either, it says "Added to collection" but the movie never appears in the collection.

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, fizzyade said:

Edit II: The Saga Continues

I just nuked the collections folder, and hit refresh in box sets again.  Same result, Jaws is missing all the sequels (although I have 2 copies of jaws, one 4K and one HD as per my original request).  Jurassic Park is missing part 2 and 3, both have the correct tmdb id.

3 minutes ago, fizzyade said:

Furthermore, trying to manually add the movie to the collection doesn't work either, it says "Added to collection" but the movie never appears in the collection.

I would be looking at the collection.xml.

Path will be OS specific C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections

Edited by Happy2Play

fizzyade
Just now, Happy2Play said:

I would be looking at the collection.xml.

Path will be OS specific C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections

Funnily enough I was just reading another post by you about this, I'm using docker so will delete the corresponding file.

Cheers!

A purge collections button would be nice. (with suitable disclaimer)

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, fizzyade said:

A purge collections button would be nice. (with suitable disclaimer)

Sort of a grey area as custom made collection and plugin made collection are all in the same location.

fizzyade

No cigar.  Nuked the folder, it regenerated it, interestedly the collection.xml file shows the missing movies:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Item>
  <ContentRating>GB-PG</ContentRating>
  <Added>10/13/2020 10:54:45 PM</Added>
  <LockData>false</LockData>
  <Overview>An American science fiction adventure film series based on the novel of the same name by Michael Crichton. The films center on the fictional Isla Nublar near Costa Rica in the Central American Pacific Coast, where a billionaire philanthropist and a small team of genetic scientists have created an amusement park of cloned dinosaurs.</Overview>
  <LocalTitle>Jurassic Park Collection</LocalTitle>
  <TmdbId>328</TmdbId>
  <Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
    <Genre>Science Fiction</Genre>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
    <Genre>Thriller</Genre>
  </Genres>
  <Studios>
    <Studio>Amblin Entertainment</Studio>
    <Studio>Universal Pictures</Studio>
    <Studio>Digital Image Associates</Studio>
    <Studio>Fuji Television Network</Studio>
    <Studio>Legendary Entertainment</Studio>
    <Studio>Dentsu</Studio>
    <Studio>The Kennedy/Marshall Company</Studio>
    <Studio>Perfect World Pictures</Studio>
  </Studios>
  <CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/Movies/Jurassic Park III (2001)/Jurassic Park III (2001) - 1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/4KMovies/Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018)/Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018) - Remux-2160p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/4KMovies/Jurassic World (2015)/Jurassic World (2015) - Remux-2160p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/Movies/The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997)/The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997) - 1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/Movies/Jurassic Park (1993)/Jurassic Park (1993) - Bluray-1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/Movies/Jurassic World (2015)/Jurassic World (2015) - Bluray-1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/user/media/Movies/Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018)/Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018) - Bluray-1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>
  <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder>
</Item>

But this is what I see in the app (web, tv or phone)

345786502_CleanShot2020-10-13at22_57.55@2x.thumb.png.86650f74302e89086ab3961731484158.png

Happy2Play

Do they all appear if you remove the 4K versions from the collection.xml then do a library scan on the Collections library?

1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

i think this is another historic db error

not easy to fix either

That is what I am thinking.

Edited by Happy2Play

fizzyade
5 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

i think this is another historic db error

not easy to fix either

It would explain a lot, I posted a while back that I couldn't get collections to work properly, stuff would use randomly disappear from collections, earlier on today I had 2 copies of every collection as well.

Happy2Play

It has to a db issue, would not think a OS issue. I added 2 libraries 4K and 1080p (same folder and files names as above), then I added the Auto boxset plugin

collection.thumb.jpg.0bf867064f058dab22624338ba2f29a9.jpg

Second test installed plugin, then added 4K library, allowed scan to finish to see collection made with 2 4K item, then added 1080p library allowed scan to finish and checked Collection again.  I got the same results as my image.

<CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\1 1080p\Jurassic Park (1993)\Jurassic Park (1993) - Bluray-1080p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\1 1080p\The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997)\The Lost World - Jurassic Park (1997) - 1080p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\1 1080p\Jurassic Park III (2001)\Jurassic Park III (2001) - 1080p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\1 1080p\Jurassic World (2015)\Jurassic World (2015) - Bluray-1080p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\2 4K\Jurassic World (2015)\Jurassic World (2015) - Remux-2160p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\1 1080p\Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018)\Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018) - Bluray-1080p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\2 4K\Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018)\Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018) - Remux-2160p.strm</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>

Edited by Happy2Play

fizzyade
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Do they all appear if you remove the 4K versions from the collection.xml then do a library scan on the Collections library?

No, removed them from the xml, rescanned and the same, JP2 & 3 are missing despite being listed in the xml.

Happy2Play

I assume this is happening on more then just this collection, but the only suggestion I have as a test would be delete the current Jurassic Park collection, then remove all Jurassic Park movies do a library scan, then add the movies back do a library scan and see if you get the same results.

Happy2Play

If it is a database issue, more will be required.  A test for that would be making New Libraries with New/Different folder paths and do a test with these same movies in those new libraries.  If this resolves the issue, your database would have rogue paths not being removed as discussed in several older topics.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fizzyade said:

Furthermore, trying to manually add the movie to the collection doesn't work either,

That tells you it isn't an issue with the plug-in (I think you've figured that out now).

Probably should take this discussion to one of the other threads discussing the same issue.

Thanks.

fizzyade
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

That tells you it isn't an issue with the plug-in (I think you've figured that out now).

Probably should take this discussion to one of the other threads discussing the same issue.

Thanks.

Any links?  I've just spent 2 minutes searching and can't find anything that suggests how to fix this, I found one post where somebody had the same issue but no resolution.

fizzyade

664556858_CleanShot2020-10-14at20_02.20@2x.thumb.png.905a4549f501d166aa0a6969b152f734.png

Yay!  I nuked the movies library, symlinked the movies Folder to Films, Slaughtered my first born at the alter of christ, added a new library called Films which I pointed at the Films symlinked folder, Rescanned and all the films appeared in my library.

Spent a lot of time swearing at box sets because for the life of me I couldn't get it to work at all, eventually uninstalled box sets, restarted emby , reinstalled box sets, restarted emby and then hit refresh to finally get the collections working.

As there have been full library scans, am I now safe to repeat the process again, but pointing the new library at /Movies and renaming the library back to Movies from films?