Streaming keeps freezing

slavd

Hello, 

Not sure if this is a problem with android clients in general or just specific to me but movie streaming with the android app constantly freezes. I would say it is even periodic - every few seconds it freezes for about 3-5 seconds, then plays again for a few seconds, than freezes... 

I'm attaching screenshots with the media and player info. 

Why do I believe this is an app problem:

1. My connection is pretty stable and fast. 

2. It even does this while connected on the local network

3. If I open the same movie, from the same streaming server, on the same Android phone but through the browser, rather than through the app it runs smoothly. 

4. To make it not freeze while watching though the app I need to reduce the quality to under 720p and 2mbps (even while on the same local network), but watching it through the browser on the same device allows for a smooth direct playback. 

Screenshot_20201012_191712_com.mb.android.jpg

Screenshot_20201012_191738_com.mb.android.jpg

Edited by slavd

On 13/10/2020 at 16:40, Luke said:

Can you try this and see how it compares:

Thanks.

Better but still not there. I am using the same phone, same internet connection, same movie, same server, etc. With the new app version it plays smoothly for up to a minute at a time, then freezes for 5-15 seconds then plays again... 

I'm on Android 10 if that helps. 

Edited by slavd

Okay something odd happened today. I noticed that the movie was freezing even when watched from a PC. Then I noticed that all other services I host on that server are slow as well. This was not the case yesterday or the day before yesterday. After about an hour of troubleshooting I found the reason - the router connected to the sever had to be restarted. After the restart everything went back to normal. I then tried to play the movie again through the updated Emby app and watched about an hour of it without encountering any freezing. Thus, I believe the fix is working after all. I will write back if I encounter any further issues.

Thanks.