Writing Meta Data to Files

Mr.Berzerk

Mr.Berzerk

Hey, I'm just wondering if it is possible to bulk write the IMDB meta data to my video files. Or have I just not figured out how to do it?

pwhodges

Firstly, Emby does not fetch data from IMDB, but uses cheaper/free sources.

Secondly, I don't believe that metadata of the type displayed by Emby about a film or series is commonly stored in video files at all - certainly I've never seen it. 

However, you can tell Emby to save metadata in a .nfo file alongside the video, instead of in its database, and these files are the normal way to associate that information with the video.  But you need to have that setting chosen before Emby scans for the metadata - there isn't (at present?) any built-in way to transfer it from the database to .nfo files. 

You could, I suppose, write a script which scans each directory and gets the necessary data from the database using SQL statements, patching it together in a text (.nfo) file - but that would be a non-trivial effort.

Paul

Mr.Berzerk

Most of my videos are in MP4/M4V format, and much of the meta data that Emby displays can be stored in the files. I was just looking for an easy bulk way of writing, since it has already been fetched for Emby. I did this with my Music Library using mp3Tag. I was just hoping there was a similar feature built into Emby for TV shows and movies. I'll find another way. Thanks.

MediaMogal

@pwhodges can you clarify "Secondly, I don't believe that metadata of the type displayed by Emby about a film or series is commonly stored in video files at all"? do you mean in with the video files or in the video files? I ask cause most video files do have there own metadata in them. I know cause I see a completely different name on a lot of files when I play them through SMPlayer than what I named the file. The ones that I can rename the metadata title for I do with VLC one by one.

Edited by MediaMogal

Mr.Berzerk

I mean right in the file. I edit the tags on them after I rip them from the discs. The software I have that rips them doesn't do any thing with the tags, so I have to do one at a time, which is a pain. I was hoping for some solution like "mp3tag", except for movie/tv shows.
I have 100s of DVDs, so it will take me a long time to do it. I may just have to do after each rip. :(

Edited by Mr.Berzerk

pwhodges

Video files naturally have technical metadata about the streams, and the codecs and formats used; this is used by players to enable them to play the file correctly.  

I do not expect to find descriptions, images and lists of artists in video files (though I'm pretty sure some of these can be added) - this information is typically provided in separate .nfo files (which may also include some technical information, but only for the reader, not for the use of the player).

I'm prepared to be shown to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that programs like Emby and its competitors don't expect to find within the video file the program information that they will take from .nfo files and online databases.

This is not the same as in the case of audio files, which are commonly expected to contain all the necessary information.

Paul

PS: I note, for instance, that Kodi in its last version (v18) started introducing support for collecting data from tags in video files, so maybe this is a coming thing.  From their wiki:

Kodi v18 Leia introduces support for embedded video tags using *.mkv and *.mp4 video files. *.avi support is available since v18.x. They are similar in principle to the tags saved in audio files. Only limited support for video tags is available at this time.

Edited by pwhodges

Mr.Berzerk

I don't plan on putting things like images or trailers in them. But Series, Season, Episode, & Title are basic enough. Maybe even Synopsis. I've seen some tags with Director and Writer in them . . . Not info I'm putting in, but it is an option.

Edited by Mr.Berzerk

Happy2Play

Emby currently does not do any file tagging.  Only reads.

Edited by Happy2Play